PDA

View Full Version : Fingerpick String Dampening

piebaldpython
October 10th, 2008, 12:59 PM
STRING DAMPENING-------Any of you fingerpickers out there have any "good" practice methods to DAMPEN the surrounding strings while another string(s) is picked? Like if I pick the B string (index finger), but want to dampen the E and G with the thumb and middle finger. Do you have any good practice methods to develop that skill?
Also, do you have a good method to dampen the string after you pick it to dampen the string and not have it ring out.
I realize what I want will be tough to learn (or at least I think it will, ahahhahha) but I want to get a good grip on this at the outset before I develop a slew of bad habits.
This is essesntially what Warren Haynes does when he plays slide.
Thanks so much for any advice. If any of you know of a DVD or book that covers this, let me know about it so I can have a point of reference.

warren0728
October 10th, 2008, 01:23 PM
STRING DAMPENING-------This is essesntially what Warren Haynes does when he plays slide.
warren has a few instructional dvd's out there including this one....

http://www.amazon.com/Warren-Haynes-Electric-Blues-Guitar/dp/B000BM7YXS

i haven't seen any of them but i am going to get them....

ww

jpfeifer
October 10th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Hi piebaldpython,

When I'm fingerpicking I usually don't dampen nearly as much as when I play slide parts. For slide, the dampening is almost as much or more work then the actual notes you're playing. You have to dampen like crazy.

But for fingerpicking parts I usually try to get the notes to ring out more, kind of the opposite of what I'm trying to do with slide playing.

The only caveat to this is if you're going for the Chet Atkins kind of sound. For that style of playing you will want to palm mute the lower strings slightly to keep the bass notes from ringing too long and clashing with each other. But you will typically want those higher-pitched strings 1,2,3rd strings to ring out more. This is what gives it the impression of hearing two guitar parts. You're trying to get an even thumpy sound on the lower strings (helped by palm muting) against the higher-pitched strings that are ringing out more.

-- Jim

piebaldpython
October 10th, 2008, 02:09 PM
OK JIM,
Lets forget about "regular" playing and do the question re dampening for slide exclusively. What type of practicing do you do to dampen other strings while picking one? As you said, it can be tough. So, help a brother out here who wants to know the BEST way to practice this. Thanks.

jpfeifer
October 10th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Hi piebaldpython,

There were some really good exercises in serveral of the Guitar Player magazines recently. Sonny Landreth (slide guru) has a montly article where he passes on his tips for playing slide.

This specific (see link below) article helped me learn some new things about string dampening for slide. Check this out. It's exactly the thing you're asking about:
http://www.guitarplayertv.com/index.html?channel=0407slide&videofile=gptv/lessons/gptv_april07_landreth

I hope this helps, -- Jim

piebaldpython
October 10th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Jim,
Thanks a bunch. That was exactly what I wanted.

tot_Ou_tard
October 11th, 2008, 06:40 AM
I thought that the basic technique for damping strings while playing slide was to gently barre using the finger (ring if the slide is on the pinky) behind the slide.

Can't you just damp individual strings with the fingers behind the slide as well?

When fingerpicking you might want to occasionally damping a string from ringing out too long if it will create dissonance with another later note.

You can use a spare finger on the fretting hand to reach over & gently touch the offending string.

The_Shredinator21
October 12th, 2008, 06:09 PM
well on chords like {---x--}
{---x--}
{---x--}
{---x--}
{---4--}
{---2--}
you simply just lay your finger that is on 2nd or 4th fret gently across all of 4 higher strings. so for bar chords that helps, im not sure about picking

StrokerAce
October 13th, 2008, 12:28 PM
warren has a few instructional dvd's out there including this one....

http://www.amazon.com/Warren-Haynes-Electric-Blues-Guitar/dp/B000BM7YXS

i haven't seen any of them but i am going to get them....

ww
i highly recommend this video. there is some stuff in there well worth the admission price. hes a good teacher.

warren0728
October 13th, 2008, 09:48 PM
i highly recommend this video. there is some stuff in there well worth the admission price. hes a good teacher.
i ordered my copy tonight! :pancake:

ww

piebaldpython
October 13th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I've ordered a copy of his book. I intend to buy the video soon too as Haynes usually plays slide in standard tuning. I just received a video of Sam Hurrie teaching slide in standard tuning. Gettin' psyched. :rockon:

StrokerAce
October 14th, 2008, 12:01 PM
i ordered my copy tonight! :pancake:

ww

i apologize guys, this is the one i have.
http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/025060/details.html

yea, he does open tunings as well as standard.

let me know about that one. im sure its just as good.