PDA

View Full Version : Things we Take for Granted

Childbride
October 10th, 2008, 10:05 PM
it's friday.

i took off work early, shiner and i walked out by the park, ate supper...

decided to watch a movie...

and the delightful thing about this year is that central tx got a fall. when the weather outside got colder than inside, we aired the house. opened all the windows.

started watching movies.

[shiner playing his d'aquisto behind me now]

it got a bit nippy. don't yell, but when you go from 110 to 50, your bod has to adjust. so i went to the closet.

and pulled out a birthday present.

one of my three closest women friends knitted an afghan for my birthday this year, in all shades of blue. she made it long, instead of wide, so that shiner and i could use it during the cowboy games.

and i wrapped up like a mummy in my afghan, and wondered at all the hours she spent making that for me.

you know, the economy may be in a p-$$$er, things may be ugly overseas, but the human heart is a wonderful thing.

let us all rejoice in it, as i type wrapped up in my blankie and my husband jamming on iris... ;)

there are good people in the world.

the fret is just an example.

peace,
k

just strum
October 11th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Nice.

bigoldron
October 11th, 2008, 06:38 AM
CB, there's almost no better feeling than that first fall snap. South Georgia is a lot like Texas in that we have heat and high humidity, so cooler, drier air is always welcome.

Enjoy that afghan! I've got one put in a closet that my great-grandmother made for me before she died. It's not something I'd use every day, but I certainly don't want to get rid of it either. Lots of good memories... :)

And I don't know what size town you live in, but living in small town beats the big city any day. For the most part, people from where I live still tend to help one another when needed. 'Course times are a changing, since everybody's so busy and becoming more self-centered in that they don't look out for each other like they did years ago. But, there's still good bit of decency still around.

We do like to get together and celebrate, i.e. football games on Friday nights, local festivals like our Harvest Festival coming up next weekend, community-wide worship services, and fund raisers like the Relay for Life.

All-in-all, it's not too bad a place to raise your kids. I like it. :AOK:

Katastrophe
October 11th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Yesterday was a good day. Mrs. Kat came home and I took her and Baby Kat out to dinner. We got home and decided to play around in the front yard. We found that some plastic toy plates that we bought for Baby Kat to play with turned into pretty good Frisbees.

Picture this: We're giggling, all of us, throwing plastic plates at each other in the front yard. I'm still wearing my dress clothes from work (complete with tie). Baby Kat's running all over the place, grinning from ear to ear and laughing as hard as she can. Mrs. Kat and I chased her for a good half hour and had a ball.

We then sat out on the front porch and watched cars go by for a minute before heading in for the evening.

The only thing that would have made it better was if Older Kid Kat was there. It was her night to be at her father's house.

street music
October 11th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Very True CB,
Right now our fall colors are very beautiful and today is Mrs Street's birthday.
I have spent the day out with her mall shopping and I visited my favorite music store in West Virginia. The day was excellent and we made it home safe.
Our big festival was last weekend, you can see the photo parade of our MUSIC ON THE STREET 08 at www.kyapplefest.org
I pulled off another big weekend and had great help in getting it done. It's this time of year that I really enjoy life to the fullest. Tomorrow morning I plan to be sitting in my treestand with bow or camera in hand as the morning springs to life in the mountains of eastern KENTUCKY.
I hope that everyone has a wonderful fall season.:bravo:

duhvoodooman
October 11th, 2008, 06:48 PM
A beautiful sentiment there, CB. With all the bad news in this world, it's nice to be reminded of what is good and true and lasting and of real value.

Childbride
October 12th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Ron... waco is small enough that you run into people you know with regularity, but large enough that you can avoid a bit of that if you are trying to.

if someone is sick, there is a benefit... if someone dies, the phone lines light up to let everyone know to help the family.

Kat, you kinda got my mood perfectly.

thanks for appreciating what i said. i meant it. if the world reached next door and held a hand, we could fight the bad things. and i'm not talking politics when i say that.

bigoldron
October 12th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Ron... waco is small enough that you run into people you know with regularity, but large enough that you can avoid a bit of that if you are trying to.

if someone is sick, there is a benefit... if someone dies, the phone lines light up to let everyone know to help the family.

Kat, you kinda got my mood perfectly.

thanks for appreciating what i said. i meant it. if the world reached next door and held a hand, we could fight the bad things. and i'm not talking politics when i say that.

I said it before and I'll say it again, you do a great job as our conscience, social prompt and resident philosopher! Keep up the good work! :AOK:

It really is an honor and a privilege to have a friend like you! :)

just strum
October 12th, 2008, 07:07 PM
thanks for appreciating what i said. i meant it. if the world reached next door and held a hand, we could fight the bad things.

If we were all holding hands, who the hell would be playing all the guitars???

bigoldron
October 12th, 2008, 07:55 PM
If we were all holding hands, who the hell would be playing all the guitars???

Somebody'd have to play Kumbaya... :rolleyes:

bigoldron
October 12th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I said it before and I'll say it again, you do a great job as our conscience, social prompt and resident philosopher! Keep up the good work! :AOK:

It really is an honor and a privilege to have a friend like you! :)

BTW CB, please don't think I'm being a smarta$$. You really do keep us straight and remind us when it's somebody's birthday and point out the better things to focus on. Somebody needs to be looking after us... :thwap:

piebaldpython
October 12th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Hey CB; that's a cute tale and I understand how you Southerners appreciate the SNAP in the air temps.
For us Northerners, that SNAP means that it's gonna get cold soon and that we're going to have to put the HEATER on in the not too distant future. Except for those folks who live in OLDE TOWNE CLEVELAND, where the have FURNACES and not HEATERS like the rest of us. :D :D :D :D :D

Sorry Strum, couldn't resist. :rotflmao: