PDA

View Full Version : Tried Bad Cat, Suhr, Warrior, Duesenberg, Heritage, Reverend, Nik Huber, 65 amps

Robert
October 11th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Spent a good few hours playing and drooling. :)

Played some sweet gear. 65 amps, Bad Cats, Suhr Badger 18, Reverend, Heritage, Suhr, Duesenberg, Nik Huber and Warrior guitars. Whew! I had fun....:D :D :D

The sales guy was really nice. He wanted me to try all their best stuff since I "seemed to know a lot about guitars", he said. Awright then! I tried all I could get my hands on! :bravo:

It was a blast. I'll tell you more later.

Tone2TheBone
October 11th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Yeah but did he have your Marshall? ;)

Robert
October 11th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Nope, no Marshalls there! Don't worry Tone, I didn't buy anything which means I am still saving my hard earned cash for something that starts with an "M"... ;)

Tone2TheBone
October 11th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Nope, no Marshalls there! Don't worry Tone, I didn't buy anything which means I am still saving my hard earned cash for something that starts with an "M"... ;)

Brilliant! Remember gas is expensive. Stay the course my friend. :AOK:

Spudman
October 11th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I didn't buy anything which means I am still saving my hard earned cash for something that starts with an "M"... ;)

Marriage counseling? That starts with M. You are going to need it after you spend all the discretionary income on a Bad Cat.;) :D

Joking of course...kind of. :o

So what blew you away today at the store?

Robert
October 12th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Well, I played some high end gear. The Bad Cat was sweet. Rich, fat clean tones, and then roaring chrunch on the gain channel. Very versatily, and great for a heavy rocker. I played a lot of different guitars through the amp. However, I couldn't quite get that bluesy overdrive from this amp. It was obviously designed for rock crunch tones. It has tons of options though, so perhaps I didn't figure it all out either.

The guitars that blew me away? Well, in one word - SUHR. Man, that was total nirvana! I need one of these babies. It was easily the best sounding guitar I've played in a long, long time. I could really tell through the Bad Cat. Too bad it was over $3,800.... :eek:
Next guitar I was deeply impressed with was the Heritage Les Pauls. Man, I like them better than Gibsons' LPs. Very nice sounding, and sustain for days. The workmanship was also very impressive. Beauty!
The first guitar I tried may very well be my next gear purchase! The Reverend Charger 290 (http://www.reverendguitars.com/reverend/guitars/bolt_on_series/charger_290.html) - wow! I played it over and over and was amazed by the neck and the fat juicy tones I was coaxing out of it. Very versatile - tele twang and humbucker like tones. I tried several other Reverends, but I only really liked the ones with bolt-on necks. The Charger 290 felt right and sounded great; it kinda spoke to me. ("What are you waiting for? Buy me now!" it yelled in my ear... ;) ). These P-90s with the bass contour feature makes for a very versatile guitar. It sounded quite fantastic in my opinion, and very easy to play. It just seemed like "my kind of guitar", although I have never had a guitar with P-90 pickups. I think I must have it.... :D

Top on my list would be a Suhr strat if I could afford it. I guess I can sell all musical equipment I own to see how much dough I can get together, but somehow I think that would not be wise. I'd be better off with the super-cool $600 Reverend. It would probably be better to buy a used Suhr anyway to get it at a more reasonable cost, if I ever can save up that kind of money. I've seen them on eBay for under $1,800.

Plank_Spanker
October 12th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Suhr guitars are amazingly excellent.

You saving up, Robert? :D

Robert
October 12th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Too much dough for me at this point, but the Reverend is such a sweet guitar and I think I might go for it instead. Maybe I'll sell off some gear and use that money towards a Suhr next year.

Let me make my point clear - I have played many Fender Strats, including the Custom Shop higher end ones, and none of them get even close to the quality of the Suhr I tried. Everything on the Suhr was superior - the sound, the frets, the pickups, the neck, the intonation/set-up, the feel, etc. A Suhr is not just another Strat - it's a superior Strat - in my opinon. I mean, there's a reason why they cost a lot more than a US Fender Strat.

Plank_Spanker
October 12th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Let me make my point clear - I have played many Fender Strats, including the Custom Shop higher end ones, and none of them get even close to the quality of the Suhr I tried. Everything on the Suhr was superior - the sound, the frets, the pickups, the neck, the intonation/set-up, the feel, etc. A Suhr is not just another Strat - it's a superior Strat - in my opinon. I mean, there's a reason why they cost a lot more than a US Fender Strat.

The same can be said for Tom Anderson guitars....................

Just absolutely superior guitars in every aspect..................and you'll know it when you play it.

You're jaded now, Robert..................................you have played the guitar of gods......................there is no going back...................:D

jpfeifer
October 12th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Yes, you can really tell the difference in quallity with a hand-built guitar. I've never played a Shur, but guessing from the list of endorsee's I'd expect these to be very good guitars.

I've also never tried any of these Reverend guitars. They seem like they would be very good instruments.

-- Jim

Robert
October 12th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Oh Jim, you gotta get a Reverend. They are cheap, but of VERY good quality.

The Suhr, well that's as good as it gets, pretty much! That's why they are so freakin' expensive. I guess as always, you get what you pay for... :)

Buzzo
October 12th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Ya I like Reverends too. I have two USA's, a Commando and a Slingshot which I picked up a couple months ago. I also just bought Kercs blue Warhawk HB. After playing my buddys Warhawk 290 I had to have one.

Jimi75
October 13th, 2008, 07:59 AM
A colleague of mine has two Suhr Strats. He's got that exotic wood Strat model that Knopfler played for quite some time and a more vintage like Strat in Sonic Blue with a little graphic of a Mermaid behing the bridge. They are great guitars and the playability is a dream.

I would say that it is always worth to sell stuff if you can aquire a better instrument.

Rob, you are the perfect player for a Suhr! If I imagine your videos with you guy paying a nice Suhr Strat - that would smoke man!

Once tried the Bad Cat, too and I wasnt that impressed - I also didn't like the Matchless amps that lot and the Bad Cats derive from the Matchless amphs. In my eyes the crunchy sounds are too muddy.

jpfeifer
October 13th, 2008, 05:01 PM
The Reverand's would be interesting to try out. But I agree with Jimi75, you should get a Suhr someday.

Lately, I keep getting the craving for a Gibson type of guitar in the collection. The bad thing about this Variax modeling guitar that I have is that it makes you crave the real instuments when you find that sounds that you really like, because you start to realize all that you could do with those sounds.

So now, my list of guitar cravings that I've learned from my Variax include:
- I need a Tele
- I need a Gibson-toned guitar. (I like hollowbodies)
- I need a real dobro
Not that the sounds in the Variax are bad, they're actually really good. But you still want to have the real deal for certain things.

G.A.S., the gift that keeps on taking :-)

-- Jim