PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Hughes

Spudman
June 7th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Glenn Hughes has just released his latest album "Music For The Divine." It's on Frontier Records.

Glenn Hughes (Vocals, Bass Guitar)
J. J. Marsh (Guitar)
Chad Smith (Drums)
John Frusciante (Guitar)
Mark Kilian (Keyboards, String arrangements)

Yes, that is 1/2 of the Red Hot Chili Peppers on the album.

If you aren't sure who Glenn is he is often called "The Voice." He has preformed with a who's who list of rock luminaries starting with Trapeze, Deep Purple, Tony Iommi, Black Sabbath, etc. Here is his web page bio link.
http://www.glennhughes.com/biography.html

So far I have not heard a bad Glenn Hughes album. His last 3 are stellar. Soul Mover, Fused with Tony Iommi and now Music For The Divine.
J.J. Marsh is a great guitarist (Swedish of course) and plays on many of Glenn's albums including the 2 mentioned here.

Here you can find MP3's from the new album. Enjoy!
http://www.glennhughes.com/m4td.htm?id=88

The big news...there is a new Hughes/Thrall album due out in 2007! If you are a fan of guitar then you will surely enjoy almost anything Glenn has played on.

Spudman
June 17th, 2006, 10:05 AM
After some time listening to this album I have concluded that it is very good. It keeps growing on me. I even woke up today with the first song off the album playing in my head.

The album is a great example of funky rhythmic minimalism. They create very good grooves with simple melody and rhythmic structure. Prince could use a lesson from these guys. Yet, it's rock-n-roll baby.

The guitar solos are tasty and adventurous. JJ Marsh will boldly go where you never though of going and he does it with style.
Chad Smiths drum playing is better here than on the new Red Hot Chili Peppers album Stadium Arcadium. Same with Soul Mover, Glenn's previous album. If the Peppers gig wasn't so lucrative Chad would be better served just staying with Glenn. Still it's great to have friends of that caliber that want to play on records with you.

The big change is Glenn's voice. The lesson learned with the recently released Fused record with Tony Iommy is in place here. Glenn stays more in one range than he has on his other albums. He is such a capable singer that he can go anywhere in multiple octaves at will. However, this album and the Fused album have Glenn sounding more identifiable. Very pleasant to hear. Still some very powerful and emotive singing going on.
What a voice!

Spudman
March 2nd, 2007, 06:48 PM
This is absolutely bad a$$. Just Glenn and JJ Marsh. This IS rock and roll!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xReFduzERz0

ShortBuSX
March 2nd, 2007, 07:28 PM
Dude...he even worked with "The KLF"!!! Thats soooo cool! :cool:

Robert
March 2nd, 2007, 11:26 PM
Cool, I dig Glenn Hughes! I've been listening to old Deep Purple stuff lately, some live material that is so refreshing to hear. Glenn sing on some of the songs, great, great voice.

Jimi75
March 5th, 2007, 02:56 AM
Glenn Hughes is so d@mn cool. I liked his cooperation with Richie Kotzen a lot. Both have kind of a very similar voice.

Still had no chance to listen to the new album, but I bet it is another Rock bomb.

Tone2TheBone
March 5th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Our Glenn Hughes? Mr. Valve Jr. through Avatar cab? Heck yes he's AWESOME!

:)

Spudman
March 5th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Glenn Hughes is so d@mn cool. I liked his cooperation with Richie Kotzen a lot. Both have kind of a very similar voice.

Still had no chance to listen to the new album, but I bet it is another Rock bomb.

You know, I'm a huge Glenn Hughes fan but I've never heard any collaboration with Richie Kotzen. What did they do?

I really enjoy all the Joe Lynn Turner collaboration stuff. Michael Men Project, Hughes Turner Project, Brazen Abbot. Those two are awesome together. Like brothers.

Spudman
June 3rd, 2007, 08:22 PM
Here is the scoop on the next Hughes Thrall album.

Hot on the heels of the remastered release - GLENN and PAT have been working on the long-awaited, HUGHES/THRALL 2. However, due to both their schedules, it won't get a release until sometime in 2008. Currently, there are 13 songs in total - 11 new and 2 others which have seen the light of day before, but as part of some demos recorded back in the day and that had previously ended up on some unscrupulous bootlegs!

Spudman
June 3rd, 2007, 09:14 PM
I just notice that Glenn has a link for the band Plankton on his web site. Tres' cool.:R