PDA

View Full Version : What program...and interface?

LagrangeCalvert
October 12th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Which should I get....I just want to record for my own enjoyment and to jam with all of you, since I'm currently between bands.

What are you using my fellow fretters? And what do you think I should get?

sunvalleylaw
October 12th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I'll give my stock answer. iMac, has all the recording software (Garageband) in it. Greatly enhanced by adding a Line6 interface from the Toneport series. The UX1 and UX2 have mic inputs which add the option of recording your amph using your gear too. That is the way I would advise. If you don't want to go mac, then I still advise the Toneport, and whatever recording program the Windows guys recommend.

Robert
October 12th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Actually any kind of new Mac, not just the iMac will do. MacBook/MacBook Pro, Mac Pro or iMac - it all depends funds available! :D

A cheaper alternative would be a small recorder like the Boss Micro BR (http://www.zzounds.com/item--BOSMICROBR).

LagrangeCalvert
October 12th, 2008, 12:29 PM
ok.....I have a windows based PC...so I don't have the flow for the iMac right now.....so I just need a good interface/program combo....

I know....mac's are awesome, blah blah blah....."once you go mac, you never go back."

just strum
October 12th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I know....mac's are awesome, blah blah blah....."once you go mac, you never go back."

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/blah-1.gif

sunvalleylaw
October 12th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Hey, you asked, without stating a platform. So I gave my answer. And without any rah, rah for the mac. I just said what I think works. If you said for a Windows platform I would have not answered at all. Still, as far as interface, I stated the Toneport. As far as a windows recording program, I don't know, Cubase? Audacity? I have to leave that for someone else who uses that platform for recording. Strum, my feeling is you have to record something and post a recording before you comment on a thread like this. ;)

tunghaichuan
October 12th, 2008, 12:54 PM
For Windows:

Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) is free and works okay for recording single tracks. If you do use Audacity, make sure you download and install the LAME dll file so that you can export your files to .mp3.

Kristal Audio Engine (http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/index.php?section=download) has more features than Audacity, but not as many as Reaper. But it is free, so it is worth a look.

Reaper (http://www.reaper.fm/download.php) has many more features but costs $50 to register it for non-commercial use. You can get lots of free plugins on the 'net to use with it as well.

tung

just strum
October 12th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Hey, you asked, without stating a platform. So I gave my answer. And without any rah, rah for the mac. I just said what I think works. If you said for a Windows platform I would have not answered at all. Still, as far as interface, I stated the Toneport. As far as a windows recording program, I don't know, Cubase? Audacity? I have to leave that for someone else who uses that platform for recording. Strum, my feeling is you have to record something and post a recording before you comment on a thread like this. ;)

SVL my dear friend, you don't want to hear a recording of me, trust me on that.

As for commenting, it's all in humor. I think it is funny that when ever there is an opening to speak MAC, the responses come in waves.

There are too many people here recommending MAC for it not to be true, but you cannot help to see the humor in it every time the opportunity presents itself.

So since I have a free Dell, I have no desire to BUY a MAC. The purchase would only deplete the guitar fund.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/mixed-smiley-030.gif

sunvalleylaw
October 12th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Your point is well taken if you have what works for you. I deleted my post above because I posted while in a bad mood. Sorry LaGrange.

LagrangeCalvert
October 12th, 2008, 01:10 PM

I wasn't *****ing......... :poke: ......... although I have an aversion to mac's. I'm forced to use them at work, but I'm a PC guy all the way :thwap: .... but if I had the money I would pick up a mac, cause I do believe they are superior to PC's.....I digress. I have a pretty good understanding of Cubase and Audacity so I will probably go with that.....I also have a decent selection of mic's at my disposal as well. What is the best way to download backing tracks and import them.....and the blues collab jams and then send them out to you guys..... I have never really used to many programs except to record demo's and the such...so I have no exp. at the import/export stuff.....

I just want to be able to jam with my fretters. :rockon:

just strum
October 12th, 2008, 01:13 PM
... because I posted while in a bad mood.

Man, I'm glad that never has happened to me.:D

sunvalleylaw
October 12th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I have a pretty good understanding of Cubase and Audacity so I will probably go with that.....I also have a decent selection of mic's at my disposal as well. What is the best way to download backing tracks and import them.....and the blues collab jams and then send them out to you guys..... I have never really used to many programs except to record demo's and the such...so I have no exp. at the import/export stuff.....

I just want to be able to jam with my fretters. :rockon:

Sorry, I have no knowledge of Cubase, other than its existence, and although I have Audacity, I use Garageband. I import the backer or collab track into iTunes, open Garageband, and make a new basic track into which I drag the collab or backer track from iTunes with my mouse. It is then there as a track that can play, as I record my guitar, either mic'd or input directly through the Toneport, into Garageband, in a separate track. I then adjust the levels/mix, trying to make my take fit well in the backer, maybe adjust the balance left or right so it sets it apart a little, then export it back to iTunes as an mp3. Then I upload it to box.net for the next jammer, or whatever. I am sure you just do the same type of thing in Windows using one of those other programs. I don't know the steps though. I think Toneports are a good interface, regardless of platform.

EDIT: I think Cubase is what Spud uses and he gets good results.

Strummy, you should go ahead and post a clip sometime. (Please view as encouragement, not pressure). No one here will bite. You should go back and listen to the first crappy clips I posted. It is all for the sharing and learning. It is not like I am going to sound like Swede, Robert, Spud or a bunch of the other talented folks here. But they do give me some help when I do post. It is fun!

Spudman
October 12th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Other than Audacity and some others that Tung mentioned all the other programs have a steep learning curve.

I use Cubase and like it but I don't really understand it. It would take me a long time to do that. Pro Tools is not much different. Mackie Traction is worth looking into. Otherwise if you have some knowledge of Cubase then go that way because you'll be past the initial shock.

What is important for great recording is a very good preamp/ADA converter and high quality cables.

bigoldron
October 12th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Sorry LaGrange.

Ya'll know what the Rev. Billy would say, "Haw, haw, haw, haw." :dude:

I've played with Audacity a little bit and it's fairly simple. I'll put it this way, it'll do a better job recording that I will playin'! :thwap:

Tung, which do you prefer, Kristal or Reaper? I think Audacity's OK, but I'd like to try one or the other. Whichever one I try doesn't need to be too complicated, though. Too much CRS to learn something with a steep learning curve. :whatever:

hubberjub
October 12th, 2008, 08:11 PM
If you are looking for an interface that can grow with you and doesn't cost an arm and a leg I'd go with an M-Audio. You can use them with pretty much any program including ProTools M-Powered. If you are just recording for fun any program will do. The cheap version of Cubase is pretty good. If you plan to transfer your tracks to a studio ProTools is the industry standard. That doesn't mean it's the best though.

Robert
October 12th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Cubase is great. I've really enjoyed using it on my PC. There are tutorials available on the net too. I like Garageband for it's simplicity, but Cubase is in a different league.

tunghaichuan
October 12th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Tung, which do you prefer, Kristal or Reaper? I think Audacity's OK, but I'd like to try one or the other. Whichever one I try doesn't need to be too complicated, though. Too much CRS to learn something with a steep learning curve. :whatever:

I actually use Audacity. It works great for what I need to use it for.

Having said that, I prefer to use Reaper over Kristal. Reaper is easier to use, the developer has frequent updates, and it supports lots of free plugins. Because I haven't ponied up the cash, so I don't feel right using it regularly. I usually install the updates to see what has changed. If I were to get a super-duper Windows box to replace my 7-year old Dell, I would pay the $50 license fee to use it. It is a great program and $50 is a steal.

tung

tunghaichuan
October 12th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I use Cubase and like it but I don't really understand it. It would take me a long time to do that. Pro Tools is not much different. Mackie Traction is worth looking into. Otherwise if you have some knowledge of Cubase then go that way because you'll be past the initial shock.

Speaking of steep learning curves, I've tried a few of the Linux distros: Planet CCRMA on Fedora 8, Ubuntu Studio, and Dyne:Bolic. I never could get any of the recording software to work. From what I understand Ardour has a particularly steep learning curve. And Hydrogen is supposed to be a pretty cool drum machine/sequencer but I never could get either to work. I never even got JACK to interface with the soundcard in my PC. Linux seems cool and it is open source (and therefore free) but for a non-Linux person like me it was impossible to get working. Even with the help of my brother who is a programmer and has done extensive development with the Linux kernel.

What is important for great recording is a very good preamp/ADA converter and high quality cables.

Bingo.

I'd also ad a low-latency sound card like the M-Audio 2496. Soundblaster cards may be okay for a few things, but in the long run they're not going to cut it.

tung

Ch0jin
October 13th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Speaking of steep learning curves, I've tried a few of the Linux distros: Planet CCRMA on Fedora 8, Ubuntu Studio, and Dyne:Bolic. I never could get any of the recording software to work. From what I understand Ardour has a particularly steep learning curve. And Hydrogen is supposed to be a pretty cool drum machine/sequencer but I never could get either to work. I never even got JACK to interface with the soundcard in my PC. Linux seems cool and it is open source (and therefore free) but for a non-Linux person like me it was impossible to get working. Even with the help of my brother who is a programmer and has done extensive development with the Linux kernel.

tung

I run Audacity on a laptop running Linux Mint (based on Ubuntu) no probs so if ur in the mood maybe try audacity for ur linux needs?

In general though I say +1 for Audacity. It's simple and free and I can use it cross platforms (not that you'd need that I guess)

My setup is thus...

Backing tracks on my ipod fed into Pocket POD. Guitar into Pocket POD, line out of Pocket POD into Line IN on Laptop. Headphones out on laptop into headphones. Start audacity, press space bar to start recording. Play.

One note. Both my laptop chargers radiate noise like a mofo so I have to remember to keep batteries charged or suffer awful, awful, interference.

Jimi75
October 13th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Hardware: Line6 Toneport UX1
Software: Either Magix Music Maker or Samplitude

Works fine for me and delivers good quality for a small budget.

sumitomo
October 13th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I don't know about you guys but every yime I read a thread about home recording I get more confused than before I read it?Sumi:confused:

stingx
October 14th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Home recording has been a passion of mine since '03. I tried a lot of programs and interfaces and can honestly recommend Mackie Tracktion and a Line 6 interface (your pick) as a great, basic setup that will yield excellent results. Toneports are sickly cheap right now and Tracktion is around $100 but has all the plugins you will need for a long time. I bought an expensive Cubase 3 SX package for several hundred dollars a few years ago and never even tapped into 1/10 of it's potential and still prefer Tracktion for ease of use.

Trust me...Mackie Tracktion III and a Line 6 Toneport will put a BIG smile on your face.

sumitomo
October 14th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Thanks Stingx,I needed to hear something positive.There is a lot out there and I have no experience and I do not know anyone who records outside these forums and I have a toneport.Sumi:D:

hagarfreak33
October 14th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I use Guitarport and Riffworks-You can use Riffworks t4 free.:D

http://www.riffworld.com/riffworks-t4-free-guitar-recording-software-1

Andy
October 15th, 2008, 08:06 AM
I'm in a time warp , I'm still using a Roland DAW for most things
I've auditioned several comp based packages and still undecided.
I'll admit they are so much easier to work with.

stingx
October 15th, 2008, 09:11 AM
If you are new to home recording you will really benefit from Mackie's "all on one page" design. Clutter is confusing and it doesn't get more simple to manage than this type of layout. I use a 20" widescreen LCD and it's pure heaven. Very easy keyboard shortcuts eliminate fumbling for the mouse while recording as well.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr05/images/pcmusician04054.l.jpg

The plugins, especially Final Mix, are outstanding.

just strum
October 17th, 2008, 10:26 AM
stingx, I like the old avatar better.