PDA

View Full Version : The Fear of Recording and Posting

just strum
October 12th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Strummy, you should go ahead and post a clip sometime. (Please view as encouragement, not pressure). No one here will bite. You should go back and listen to the first crappy clips I posted. It is all for the sharing and learning. It is not like I am going to sound like Swede, Robert, Spud or a bunch of the other talented folks here. But they do give me some help when I do post. It is fun!

Okay SVL, the time is getting near. Ron sent me the USB cable (arriving early next week), I will be able to use the RP350 and the JAMMAN to their full potential (or at least to my limited capability). We'll see how that pans out.

Pressure, what pressure? :eek:

sunvalleylaw
October 12th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Hey that is great Strum. Go for it and have fun! And try not to worry about having that "perfect" take. I haven't recorded one yet. In fact, I haven't recorded anything in a while. I am going out of town next weekend and after I am back, I will have to get on it. It would be great to get a few collabs going again.

tunghaichuan
October 12th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Strum,

That sounds like a great idea. I'll be very interested to hear what you come up with. If I had the cash to spare, I'd pick up one of those RP350s in a heartbeat. I like the idea of having a bunch of amp models and FX in one unit with the capability of plugging it into a USB port on a computer.

tung

Okay SVL, the time is getting near. Ron sent me the USB cable (arriving early next week), I will be able to use the RP350 and the JAMMAN to their full potential (or at least to my limited capability). We'll see how that pans out.

Pressure, what pressure? :eek:

Rocket
October 12th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Fear of what?
Isn't there's enough REAL fear in the world without adding perceived fear into the mix... your fears will someday be the end of you dude!
What's the worst that could happen?

http://www.snowdesign.com/img/pf_nofear2.gif

just strum
October 12th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Fear of what?
Isn't there's enough REAL fear in the world without adding perceived fear into the mix... your fears will someday be the end of you dude!
What's the worst that could happen?

You know, you told me a simple thing "stop looking at your fret hand" and it was that one little thing that made learning more enjoyable and something I will remember as long as I play. Along with "Playing the guitar is not a visual art, it's an audio art - feel the music" - or something along those lines.

So this latest simple comment I will take to heart.

If my playing sucks, it won't suck any less or more if I record.

Rocket
October 12th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Here's more:

Regardless of who you are, your level of experience, or how much you think you might suck... NOBODY can play like YOU! Your playing is unique... and that's what makes it an art and not a logical exercise.

Why sound like Clapton... the world already has one of those.

Why work so hard at trying to sound like SRV or Hendrix or whoever else... already been done... by SRV and Hendrix and whoever else!

Wouldn't it be easier for you to play like Strum? You already know how!

Embrace your own muse... don't waste your time coveting other's.

just strum
October 12th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I like those, they ring true. I think I will have a sign made to hang in the room as a reminder. Maybe commission Pike to make me a nice sign.

Steve206
October 12th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Hey Strum,,,

I have no idea of your expertise, except to remember the names of tunes that you are currently playing. I get the feel that you have taken a lesson or two and are sometimes working on scales. If you are using the backing track approach, you are already playing along with rhythms and other instruments.

In no way am I suggesting that recording your own stuff will make you a better player. What it may do is get you a little excited about an aspect or two of your playing. It happened that way for me. And keep the early stuff around so you can have an audio photo album of yourself.

If I remember correctly, neither one of us picked up guitars to become famous...

Good luck,,

Steve

Ch0jin
October 13th, 2008, 01:39 AM
an "Audio photo album" I like that a lot.

I've never been good, but I've always been recording myself. By myself, with BT's and with mates and I agree that listening to my Tapes/MD's and MP3's (ok so there's a technology evolution issue) is exactly like looking at old photo's. It's great!

So, Don't record yourself for us, do it for yourself. You'll be glad you did.

As an aside, when I bought my minidisc many years ago, I also bought a powered stereo lapel mic that ended up being awesome for bootlegging gigs. I'd clip the mic to my bag (I'm a photographer so I always have some kind of bag) and hit record at the start of the set (I could record about 2 hours i think in LP mode). I had many a laugh at myself listening to the playback as I ordered drinks, chatted to people, cheered the band and so on.

Mats N
April 16th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Hi,

I would respectfully like to disagree with the gentleman from Florida. I do suggest that recording will probably make you a better player. Providing that you liten to what you have recorded and find the energy to analyze what you played and maybe how you can improve.

This is what I was told once and I am now recording as often as I can and I enjoy every minute of it and my friends tell me that all my playing skills have improved. As well as my recording skills.

But as someone else wrote, record for yourself. Because you think it's fun. But do try.

Cheers,

Mats N

Rocket
April 16th, 2009, 05:07 PM
But as someone else wrote, record for yourself.
(...also a gentleman... also from Florida!)

R_of_G
April 16th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Strum, remember this...

"Do not fear mistakes. There are none." - Miles Davis

It's all you need to know about recording and playing. It's all beneficial to your development. Don't think twice about what anybody else may think about it. It's what you get out of it that matters. :D

Robert
April 16th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Yep, recording does a lot to benefiting your playing, I concur.

just strum
April 16th, 2009, 06:02 PM
#6 and #12 is great advice. I now live by #6 and pass the word along to others.

Hmm, both from Florida. Must be something in the water.

Speaking of Florida, my daughter is down in Orlando and will be marching at Disney World tomorrow. She arrived yesterday and called last night to tell us she already has tan lines. I just hope she doesn't turn red like thearabianmage.

oldguy
April 16th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Strum,
I'd say to anyone that wants to record, do it.
If you want to post it, fine. You won't find many critics here. If you prefer to do it for yourself, that's OK too. I know it's helped me learn, I've posted some things that were pretty awful, but I don't know any better, I guess.:D
I usually just throw something together w/ a backing track and go. It does allow you to go back and track your progress.
And as Rocket said, you're you, play like you, and enjoy it. (Well, Rocket didn't actually say that, I read something into it.) :D I do think it will help you learn more, though.

tyoc
April 16th, 2009, 06:41 PM
ey just, some little time ago, there was a fest in an "non judgamental" environment and (with mark) that was a good thing... I have take the point... and say why not... I cant play really something I have in mind... but I have done at less a first step http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7479761 like you see, barely some seconds... haha... that is what is now... hope I can develop more my musicall skills and been able to do more, and give a second try and continue on an on.

So that is, we can do what we have in our hands.

Rocket
April 16th, 2009, 06:54 PM
And as Rocket said, you're you, play like you, and enjoy it. (Well, Rocket didn't actually say that, I read something into it.)
That's what I said!

Steve206
April 16th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Hey Strum,,

The Sons of Champlin said it pretty good. "If your insides are on your outsides,,,,there's no pain".

I take that to mean, the art of sharing everything, even the bad things, that we all have tucked away. Once it is out there,,,,it cannot do any damage at all.

I feel like a dork, pointing out, that I posted a link to the tune. But, I also knew you had heard the second album and this tune came off of the first. Not that anyone is going to learn anything new.....

http://www.box.net/shared/71ljxt7l3s

bigoldron
April 16th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Strum, remember this...

"Do not fear mistakes. There are none." - Miles Davis

Miles never heard me play...

R_of_G
April 16th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Lisa Simpson: "Look on the bright side, Dad. Did you know that the Chinese use the same word for 'crisis' as they do for 'opportunity'?"

Homer: "Yes! Cris-a-tunity."

---
There is a point in there somewhere by the way. :D
One man's trash and whatnot...

oldguy
April 17th, 2009, 04:20 AM
That's what I said!

Yeah, but I kinda paraphrased it, it wasn't a direct quote. However it's said, though, a good point, and true.

tot_Ou_tard
April 18th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I dunno why, but suddenly I feel all anxious.

oldguy
April 18th, 2009, 03:57 PM
We dunno why, but suddenly we all feel all anxious.

Fixed for 'ya. You all calm down, now.