PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys feel about the Behringers V-tone GMX212?

Glacies
October 13th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Thinking about springing for it soon. Looks pretty versatile and affordable for a newbie home-picker. Thoughts?

mechanic
October 13th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I don't own the gmx212 but I do have a GMX1200H which is the head version of that amp.
Yes its very versatile.It will do a wide range of tones.
It also has alot of useable effects built in. 99 different effects settings that are adjustable.
The only downside I can think of with it is that the clean channel is not up to snuff. Its very quiet volume wise at the same settings as the other 2 settings.
So if clean is what you want mostly its not something I'd buy.
I hardly ever play with a clean tone though so its exactly what I was looking for.
I have heard that the built in effects can be "tweaked" alot more via midi but I don't have a midi controller so I can't advise you about that.
All in all I'm very happy with mine and I'd buy it again.
HTH
Eric

TS808
October 13th, 2008, 07:30 PM
There are some pretty good videos on YouTube that demo the Behringer V-Tone amps...they sound really good. I read the Harmony Central reviews on those amps before and they aren't bad.

hagarfreak33
October 24th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I just bought a used one from Daddys Junky Music-The Jack broke right away-it is a common problem from what i searched out online.I read a few reviews i found off of Google and it seemed that Berringer was not fixing them very quick so I returned the amp for a Fender FM 212-and got AN even exchange on it:AOK:
Other than the jack problem the amp was great i just didn't want to deal with the service issues.
here are some reviews on musicians friend.com and a few of them list the jack issue.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-VTone-GMX212-Stereo-Combo?sku=480731&src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

Duff
October 25th, 2008, 12:51 AM
For the price you can get some decent and even great Behringer amps. They are, like Squire, moving up in the world.

My GM110 analog moddelling amp is great and some others here have gotten it or have it and like them.

The more complicated they get and the more digital they get the more chances there are, I think, for things to go wrong. That's why lately I've been going with some fairly simple design amps, Blackheart 5/3, V Jr, Fender Super Champ XD and it is digital modelling but fairly simple, Delta Blues, Hot Rod Deluxe. Then I get nice multi pedals to add to the tonal capabilities and that formula works out fairly well. My Vox DA5 is probably fairly sophisticated but sounds great and I even worked on the pcb board myself. My Marshall MB30 bass practice amp is probably fairly sophisticated in its solid state design.

Duffy

markb
October 25th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Hmm, looks like two Tech21 TM10/30 knockoffs stuck together with an FX processor. If it sounds anywhere near as good as those amps I'd be interested.

SuperSwede
October 25th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Hmm, looks like two Tech21 TM10/30 knockoffs stuck together with an FX processor. If it sounds anywhere near as good as those amps I'd be interested.

I´ve tried the Behringer GT2 copy which is based on the same circuit and I didnt like that unit at all (and I love the real Tech21 GT2).

Duff
October 28th, 2008, 02:44 AM
I would have bought one of those two twelve inch speaker Behringer 100 or 120 watt amps they were blowng out at Zsounds I think it was, for 199 not that long ago, but I didn't get in on it. It was a big version of the GM110 that I like so much and have and use frequently, analog modelling.

There are some good cheap amps out there now.

How about that Crate V50 for 199 I think it is: class AB American sound, supposedly Fender I guess. The other Crate V's are British sounds, presumably Marshall or Vox. The American sounding one is more sophisticated and supposedly liked better by some. It is on sale at MF, no affilliation.

That would be like 150 solid state watts but would be a decent tube amp, probably highly modable with a better reverb tank, etc.

I wouldn't mind getting one but I'm thinking of that maple body Squire VM '70s maple body natural color bass with the maple neck with black block inlays. Bet that maple resonates those bass tones really well.

Then again, that Crate V50 was used by bluesmen and should be a decent amp for 199. You can always upgrade the speaker if needed and put in some JJ tubes if it doesn't come with them already.

Playing my Delta Blues 15" lately and it sounds sweet. American made. Not cheap. I should bring it in for some vibrating noise I'm getting that sounds like it is coming from the front lip of the amp section where it pushes up against the front of the amp above the speaker grill.

I just hate to bring it in and am debating if I should take it to these pro's at Downtown Sound in Harrisburg or to the place I bought it in the Coal Cracker Region of Pennsylvania. Sounds like a job for a pro but Harrisburg is fifty miles one way, could be worth it.

Duffy