PDA

View Full Version : Archery ?

ted s
October 13th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Anyone into it as a hobby/sport ?
Thinking about it myself, not for hunting, was never much of a hunter growing up, killed alot of cans and cinder blocks though.
Are there permits and such for a bow as there is with firearms ?
Anyone familiar with Canadian regs. in particular ?

thanks

TS

sumitomo
October 13th, 2008, 12:02 PM
When I was young and lived in L.A.,I used to do archery right in my local neighborhood.Not as much noise as a gun,but it packs a punch,wristrockets are good also.Sumi:D

street music
October 13th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I shot several years in IBO competition and qualified for the World shoot a few times and did compete in the 2000 World Championship. It is fun if you keep it that way, I damaged my shoulder and no longer shoot in competition but I still do bow hunt. Our Archery in schools program in Kentucky as really spread across the US and the Nationals are held in Louisville each year.

M29
October 13th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Just bow hunt and 3D target shoot and love every minute of it.

hubberjub
October 13th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Street, where exactly is your avatar pulling those arrows from?

just strum
October 13th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Street, where exactly is your avatar pulling those arrows from?

:rotflmao:

sunvalleylaw
October 13th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I loved it at Scout camp. Can't say I have done it in a long time. But bow hunting season just ended, and now the guys with guns get their turns up here. Watch out Bambi!

mechanic
October 13th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I deer hunt with my compound bow.
I also target shoot for fun once in a while.
I'm in Ontario Canada as well and no permits are required to purchase a bow.

Tone2TheBone
October 13th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Funny you should ask. Yesterday my nephew told me he'd been shooting his High Country bow lately. Both he and I were heavy into archery. Like I am now with guitars. Same obsessions...just different avenue. I've got my Mathews bow sitting up in the attic and I told my nephew I ought to take it in and get a new zebra string because I haven't shot it since 2003. My "new in 2003" broadhead target still only has 3 shots in it! I've hunted elk, mule deer and turkey with a bow and shot 3D tournaments in the summers. I'm getting back into archery again now that I have enough guitars amps and pedals. Yeah......no really I've got enough. :)

Robert
October 13th, 2008, 08:59 PM
If you put an apple on your head, give me a bow and arrow and I'll teach the Red Delicious a lesson! :D

I love archery - haven't done it in a long time though. If I wasn't into this silly guitar playing stuff, I might have taken it up again. ;)

street music
October 14th, 2008, 07:52 PM
The arrows are in the quiver stand that you can't see. You guys are always thinking with bad thoughts aren't you????:D Remember Robert runs a nice family site here.:bravo:

Bloozcat
October 16th, 2008, 07:37 AM
I used to bow hunt every year, but not for the past few years now, though. I just don't seem to have the time for both archery and modern gun season. I still have my High Country bow, but it's in need of a re-cabling about now.

Since it's now legal to hunt archery through modern gun with a crossbow in Georgia where I deer hunt, I'm thinking of going the William Tell route next season....:D

And speaking of hunting...I'm leaving tonight for Georgia. Modern gun season opens this Saturday...time to re-fill the freezer with venison... :)

ted s
October 16th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I have to find out if there are any local places to practice something like this safely, pretty sure I can't do it in my backyard :thwap:

Algonquin
October 16th, 2008, 05:22 PM
That sounds like something I'd like to get involved in too.

Maybe I should look into it as well. Thanks for the post Ted!

David

ted s
October 16th, 2008, 05:25 PM
No problem David, if you find any decent info. let me know, I'll do the same.

street music
October 16th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Guys I will direct you to www.huntersfriend.com
This is a on line store that my friend opened a few years ago and it has become the largest on line archery dealer in the US. He ships world wide and they do a great job of getting things correct for you from the beginning. I do suggest when getting started that unless you are a really strong person to purchase a bow pull weight that is not going to stress you out. I shoot a BOWTECH GENERAL with 60lbs limbs and I keep it set at 54lbs. makes life much easier. I live within a few miles of the shop and have been able to spend a great deal of time in there checking out all the new items.

Tone2TheBone
October 17th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Ok now you guys have done it. I'm moving this archery topic along here.

I haven't shot my bow since 2003 and so I'm pretty sure my string and cables need to be replaced? Last time I peeped into the case they still looked ok but really that's too long for them to be strung like that. Still I waxed them up and stored it back but....I dunno I think they're due what do you guys think? I normally use Zebra strings so I called the local shop up and they said a string costs 40 something and the cable 30 something and 20 dollars for the install and setup. I'm really wanting to get back into archery so thanks ted s for creating this thread. Let's keep it going.

Algonquin
October 17th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the link Street Music, but I think what I'd need to find is an Archery Club rather than jumpimg straight into purchasing equipment.

My (Not so bright) neigbor once complained to the Town By-law office that I had some firewood on my front porch, imagine what would happen if I started firing arrows around in the back yard.

ted s
October 17th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Ok Tone, when you get set up, I will a watermelon on my head , you have to hit it from NM.. ok ?

ted s
October 17th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Good link Street , thanks for that. Lots of good newbie information there.

Algonquin
October 17th, 2008, 10:10 AM
https://www.oaa-archery.on.ca/index.php?option=com_weblinks&catid=6&Itemid=61

Here's a link to some Southern Ontario Clubs Ted...

Tone2TheBone
October 17th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Ok Tone, when you get set up, I will a watermelon on my head , you have to hit it from NM.. ok ?

When I was doing 3D I could probably do that. I was shooting hours everyday just tacking those arrows in a dime. I'll have to practice that shot now though Ted. :)

Teleblaster
October 21st, 2008, 10:23 AM
I took an archery class at a community college and it was fun! Surprisingly, it required a lot of shoulder strength.

Tone2TheBone
October 28th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Ok we need more archery posts.

Which one of you cool guys is a tech? Putting on strings and cables...adjusting axle to axle distance and brace heights etc. I just got a new set of custom made strings for my single cam bow and I'd like to pick someone's brains about cable and string adjustments. My cam isn't lining up properly and I think it's because I have too much twist on the cable. The guy I ordered the set from told me to twist each side of the cable yoke ends to shorten it instead of just twisting the entire cable. Makes sense but do any of you have any experience with this stuff? Yeah I know about all the archery forums. ;)

street music
October 28th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Ok, I'll attempt this . What bow do you have ? on most solo cam bows you can check several things, starting with the bushing in the cam. Is it solid or does it have a lot of play in it. I assume you have a bow press? You can adjust each yoke by twisting to give some better alignment. There are some models that aren't straight in line. If you haven't checked there are lots of tips and hints at www.huntersfriend.com
I use to work on bows quite often but since I got a Bowtech that isn't needed very much, I sold my press and fletchers this summer.

Tone2TheBone
October 28th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I have a Mathews Feathermax bow. I have one of those bowmaster presses. PITA to use but it works. I finally got my cam in the right position and I had to twist and check the yoke strands on the cables several times before I got the right cam position AND the right even tension. What you do somewhere affects something else. I'll shoot it tomorrow to see what it's doing but I think it will be good to go. I'll also be picking your brains here in the near future for some tips. ;)

Tone2TheBone
October 29th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Ok new question Street. Right now I'm using custom made 2 color strings and cable. Does the string have to be twisted in the same direction as the cable? Clockwise? I've seen same direction counter-clockwise and same direction clockwise on bows and I've also seen opposites. Does it matter?

street music
October 29th, 2008, 05:10 PM
They are seprate of each other, I perfer clockwise my self but if you get the correct position for your peep site and it shoots well that all you need.

Tone2TheBone
October 30th, 2008, 09:42 AM
They are seprate of each other, I perfer clockwise my self but if you get the correct position for your peep site and it shoots well that all you need.

The string came twisted in a counter clockwise position I think. The cable came in the clockwise turn. When I first put the string on the peep never turned. Second guessing the set up and thinking that was the wrong way for the string to be twisted and wanting to match the twist on the cable I undid it and twisted it clockwise and now the peep moves every time I draw. I just left it as it is and just put in a new peep with the attached tubing so it will straigten out on draw I'm tired of messing with it for now. Still haven't shot it yet though. I'll shoot tomorrow afternoon as I get out early on Fridays. If it shoots good then I'll leave it. If it shoots weird then I'll twist it back counter clockwise.

I ordered the set from some guy online that makes custom strings and cables but we noticed that the string was short and the cable too long. I have quite a number of twists in the cable because I had to align the cam to spec and that bugs me. I'll have to see if the cable starts to twist on itself when I draw. If that happens then I'll just bag the long cable and go get a Zebra cable from the archery shop. Those cables don't need any twisting at all cause they're the right length from the factory. :thwap: