PDA

View Full Version : I really want a Suhr

Robert
October 13th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Problem is, how to find the funds. I think I'll make a list of all the stuff I have that I could sell. I think I wouldn't need to keep my blue Fender. I would keep the Squiers though, since I would not get much for them if I sold them. I have lots of pedals I could sell! I could sell the Hellhound and the Vox AD50VT. I kinda want to keep the Hellhound though.

I may have to put off the Marshall purchase for a while... I am right now much more motivated to get a Suhr than a Marshall, although this could change next time I play a good sounding Marshall! :poke:

This never ends...

just strum
October 13th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I will say your "wants" are greater and larger in number than mine, so it makes me feel like I'm not asking for much.

Sort of justifies my desires. I guess that's just another responsibility of a Global Moderator.

Rocket
October 13th, 2008, 05:40 PM
This never ends...
It ends... eventually!
http://cdn.purevolume.com/cdnImages/resize_590x1500/-541-1126649104-Dead_guitarist_logo.JPG

just strum
October 13th, 2008, 05:45 PM
It ends... eventually!
http://cdn.purevolume.com/cdnImages/resize_590x1500/-541-1126649104-Dead_guitarist_logo.JPG

Hey, there may be guitars in the place we go next - FREE GIBSONS!!!

Robert
October 13th, 2008, 05:58 PM
They better be Strats where we're headed; if they are Gibsons - I'm complaining to the Grim Reaper!

Rocket
October 13th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Hey, there may be guitars in the place we go next - FREE GIBSONS!!!

They better be Strats where we're headed; if they are Gibsons - I'm complaining to the Grim Reaper!
They better be fireproof!

http://imgsrv.923krock.com/image/wfny3/UserFiles/Image/news_images/fire_guitar.jpg

just strum
October 13th, 2008, 07:35 PM
They better be fireproof!

http://imgsrv.923krock.com/image/wfny3/UserFiles/Image/news_images/fire_guitar.jpg

Where I am going I will be given 25 virgins and 25 Gibsons, no fire, just a nice white suit and some wings.

Tone2TheBone
October 13th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Don't get me started Robert.

Robert
October 13th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Tone, you have to play some Suhr strats! Or did you already? The one I tried still has my drool on it...

jpfeifer
October 13th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Robert,

What did the guitar feel like?

My only experience with seeing a Shur guitar was when I saw a guy playing one in a band in Las Vegas one time. I talked to him after their set and asked him about the guitar. He told me that they're super high quality Strat's, kind of like the best vintage Fender strats of the 50s or 60s, but with more modern parts, better pickups, etc.

He said that he really liked the feel of them.
I've never been able to play one so I don't know this first hand.
-- Jim

hubberjub
October 13th, 2008, 08:37 PM
A Suhr is worth it.

Robert
October 13th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Robert,

What did the guitar feel like?
-- Jim

It felt like a really good Strat. Not sure how to describe it. In particular, I was stunned how good the intonation was. After tuning it, any chord would be in perfect intonation, whether played on fret 1 or fret 21. Remarkable.

The guitar had a fantastic quality feel to it, and when I plugged it in, the drool starting flowing. The tones were like good sex to my ears. :dude:

The neck was not shiny or with a hard surface - it had a dark grainy wood which felt very comfortable. Some sort of rosewood I imagine.

Tone2TheBone
October 13th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Tone, you have to play some Suhr strats! Or did you already? The one I tried still has my drool on it...

You would have drooled more over the one I played at a shop here in town. They're the only Suhr dealer in the state. The Strat I played looked similar to the Classic Players 60s Strat, the one Lev has. Had all the Suhr appointments. The pickup system was really quiet. I don't know exactly how it works but there's info on it on the net. Neck was nice and wide and fat...I don't know if it's for everyone but apparently it struck you as perfect. :) Build quality is what you would expect from a very expensive instrument. I think they're great guitars I'm just teasing you because you keep putting off the Marshall amp! :D

tunghaichuan
October 13th, 2008, 09:42 PM
There is a Suhr dealer in the town that I used to work. I never tried one as I was afraid to play it. :D They certainly look nice. :master:

tung

Jimi75
October 14th, 2008, 02:14 AM
My father always said that cheap buys will be done 2 or 3 times and good quality buys will be done once and they satisfy you for a long long time.

I have recently asked myself for what purpose I need all the stuff I own. I could get rid of everything exepct of my 62 vintage Strat and my JV Strat. Investing in one good amph that fulfills my needs and that's it.

Robert, how about a big equipment cleansing? Keep your Squier Tele and sell the rest for the Suhr. Your Mack and Reverend amph is cool, but they maybe they are just partial solutions to what you really dream of - The Marshall. The Vox does a good job so far for you and hey, don't sell it you are a Vox AD50 pioneer!

Make a list and calclulate what you might get for the stuff, maybe you come close to the Suhr.

I cross my fingers for you that you come up with a good solution. I believe that if you owned the Suhr and the Marshall you would be much more satisfied.

Fortunately, for me it's only the amph that I still need. Selling a bunch of my stuff gives me new space to breath and and fresh creative power.

wingsdad
October 14th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Robert-
While you may not get a lot for them, they didn't cost a lot, and then, ask yourself this question: how much would you play them, let alone bother to look at them anymore, if you sold your Fullerton, SX and Squier Strats to have one awesome Suhr strat to turn to (and your blue Player)?

I'd keep the Hellhound and Vox amps...once you'd try the Suhr as their mate, your lust for a Marshall could diminish...just a thought.

sunvalleylaw
October 14th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I think that sounds like a good idea. Maybe keep one back up strat style, like an SX or the Fully that won't bring you very much, the Squire Tele, and sell the rest. Maybe keep only the tele like Jimi says. And the Vox is just a good versatile back up to your dream amph. I think having fewer, quality items is better, even though you can make any of your stuff sound good.
My father always said that cheap buys will be done 2 or 3 times and good quality buys will be done once and they satisfy you for a long long time.

I have recently asked myself for what purpose I need all the stuff I own. I could get rid of everything exepct of my 62 vintage Strat and my JV Strat. Investing in one good amph that fulfills my needs and that's it.

Robert, how about a big equipment cleansing? Keep your Squier Tele and sell the rest for the Suhr. Your Mack and Reverend amph is cool, but they maybe they are just partial solutions to what you really dream of - The Marshall. The Vox does a good job so far for you and hey, don't sell it you are a Vox AD50 pioneer!

Make a list and calclulate what you might get for the stuff, maybe you come close to the Suhr.

I cross my fingers for you that you come up with a good solution. I believe that if you owned the Suhr and the Marshall you would be much more satisfied.

Fortunately, for me it's only the amph that I still need. Selling a bunch of my stuff gives me new space to breath and and fresh creative power.

Tone2TheBone
October 15th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Ok I'll stop picking on you to get the Marshall...for now.

Just looked at the Suhr site. I have to get used to spelling it correctly. They've got some awesome finishes and colors. What model are you going to get and which colors? Maple neck or rosewood? Traditional Strat body or modern top with curly cap and bound body? What's it gonna be Robster?

Robert
October 15th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Maple neck would be preferred. Classic Sonic Blue or Classic Shoreline Gold perhaps? I am not picky about the colors though. I need a neck that fits my little veiny Swedish fingers, and 3 V60 LP single coils. http://www.suhrguitars.com/classic.aspx

That's why I may buy one locally - they have some in a store not far from here that I haven't been to. I am hoping I'll find my dream guitar there. It will be filthy expensive, but we all make sacrifices, right? :D (Kids - get used to eating only cheese macaroni for dinner for a couple of years!)

I am too scared to buy an expensive guitar I haven't played. I can ask for exactly what I want, and John will build it. The problem is that I don't know exactly what I want! Not in terms of neck specs at least - I want to try and see what I think.

marnold
October 15th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I guess I just have to ask since I've never been to one of your gigs. When you are playing out with Myra somewhere, are you really going to want to have a several thousand dollar guitar with you? I'd be paranoid about smoke or dings, to say nothing of outright theft. Then again, I'm in no danger of having nor affording such an instrument.

Robert
October 15th, 2008, 01:19 PM
When I get my Suhr, I think I will never part with it. Until death do us part. It will be my second wife (although polygamy isn't popular around here... :D) !

So to answer your question - YESSIR! I will guard it with my veins, you can be sure of that.

stingx
October 15th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I don't want to be the sour grape here but I'm gonna chine in. No bolt on Strat clone is worth more than $800-$1000, period. I have the luxury of working in midtown and am very close to Rudy's and Manny's as well as many fine high end boutique shops in NYC. Over the years I have played Suhrs and owned a Brain Moore. I own an expensive Schecter custom shop guitar (bought used) and borrowed and gigged with a friend's Anderson Cobra. As nice as these guitars, and specifically Suhrs, are they play no better than a well set up AmStd Fender - the guitar they ultimately try to trump. They don't have great resale either, not even close to Gibson or Fender. The point I am making is, not discouraging anyone from buying something they lust after, that dropping close to 3k on a new Suhr just isn't the holy grail. Used would be an entirely different story but you aren't getting THAT better a bolt-on guitar for over 2x the cash.

Funnily enough, out of all my guitars that were more significantly more $$$, the JV is the guitar I end up playing 90% of the time.

Now, if I was going to dump serious coin on a guitar, it would have to be highly ornate, way more intricate than a milled strat body, and just scream gaudy!

This fits the bill to a tee...the JET Earlewood!!!

http://www.jetguitars.com/ew.html

Robert
October 15th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Well, we all have our own opinions, don't we stingx.... I have mine and you have yours. I have played many top notch American Fenders, and in my opinion, they are not of the same quality of the Suhr I played last weekend. Plain and simple. I just live my own little world, so I am not claiming any universal truth here; just what works for me.

warren0728
October 15th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Now, if I was going to dump serious coin on a guitar, it would have to be highly ornate, way more intricate than a milled strat body, and just scream gaudy!
something like these?....

http://www.zemaitis.net/

ww

stingx
October 15th, 2008, 04:32 PM
something like these?....

http://www.zemaitis.net/

ww

I dunno, Warren, Z's are a tad flashy, dontcha think? Very beep beep :rotflmao:

Oh and Robert, everything typed in a forum regarding discussions like these are ALL opinions. I wasn't looking to sway your opinion or shit on your parade, just stating mine. Maybe it's the way I read your typing but I always end up feeling you take issue with my posts for some reason or another. This is why I haven't been so active as of late. I dunno, maybe it's me. I am not a professional musician so I wouldn't treat anything I say as such. I would have loved to have pursued that route but it wasn't in the cards. Instead I sold my soul to corporate America. I rather enjoy differences in opinion on many topics. There have even been instances where even a jaded old fool like me has even strayed off the beaten path :) :beer:

Cheers!

stingx
October 15th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I supose I should have defined "beep beep" in reference to the Zemaitis guitar.

On the beep beep scale of 1-10 this would be 11:

http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com/images/fathat205.jpg

sumitomo
October 15th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Hey Stingx where did ya get that picture?That's my little brother.Sumi:D

Robert
October 15th, 2008, 06:08 PM
No problem, stingx - you are very frank and that's great. I'm just sensitive about what I may spend my hard earned cash on. :)

just strum
October 15th, 2008, 06:33 PM
To be honest, I never heard of a Suhr before. Just curious, what makes them worth $3,000+? What is it they have that a G&L or Fender doesn't have?

Honest question, not putting any one or guitar down.

Robert
October 15th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Strum, depends on who you ask. My answer is quality.

Tone2TheBone
October 15th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I can see it now *making headline hands in the air*...Rob's name on the Suhr Artists list on www.suhrguitars.com

:D

ShortBuSX
October 16th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Oh and Robert, everything typed in a forum regarding discussions like these are ALL opinions. I wasn't looking to sway your opinion or shit on your parade, just stating mine. Maybe it's the way I read your typing but I always end up feeling you take issue with my posts for some reason or another. This is why I haven't been so active as of late. I dunno, maybe it's me. I am not a professional musician so I wouldn't treat anything I say as such. I would have loved to have pursued that route but it wasn't in the cards. Instead I sold my soul to corporate America. I rather enjoy differences in opinion on many topics. There have even been instances where even a jaded old fool like me has even strayed off the beaten path :) :beer:

Cheers!

He does seem rather sensitive to difference of opinions...but whatever you do though, dont diss(have a differing opinion of) Jimi!:thwap:
Ive all but given up on posting differing opinions around here(unless I cant absolutely help it)...kinda seems like everybody else follows suite.

I really dont see the "quality" either...looks like a "hand built" SX.
BUt when you say "quality" what exactly are you referring to? I see some decent flamed bodies...maybe a flamed or birdseye neck...bolted together with some decent hardware...but really? $3000?????
Maybe its the fancy inlaid name on the headstock?
I just dont see Gibson($3000) quality....given Ive never played one(Suhr), so maybe thats why I cant see the appeal.
I also dont understand why intonation implies quality...they could have a jig that they use to set up bridges, but even if they do have somebody hand intonating these...its not like you pick up a guitar in a store and just because its in tune does that imply its a higher quality than one thats not in tune.
Setup is just setup...a properly setup Squier is still a Squier, even though it will play nicer than one thats not.
But then again, thats just my observations and opinions...this guitar must really be talking to you.

stingx
October 16th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I think he's worried about misinformation. This is a very subjective topic because where Robert seems to see the worth in this I fail to. I DO agree Suhr makes great guitars. I would never say anything to the contrary regarding the quality of those instruments. I understand why they command the price they do (cost, quantity, etc) but I don't see the logic in spending the money because I don't feel you're getting THAT MUCH BETTER an instrument for the substantial amount of money more you have to spend on it. This is, again, just my opinion. Now mind you, I am the biggest hater of cheap guitars so I am in no way advocating a 180 degree turn here either. :rotflmao:

In the end, you do what you want with your money. It's that simple.

ShortBuSX
October 16th, 2008, 08:53 AM
But is the quality really better than "Custom Shop"?????

Seriously, anybody...look at the competition (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/electric-guitars?N=100001+304275+15&Ns=P_Price|1&rpp=20) at less than the $3000 mark...I just dont see the comparison other than its Fender body style. When I look at a Gretsch I see quality, I see craftsmanship...granted, they may be junk, I dunno, but I am able to see where the money is.

stingx
October 16th, 2008, 09:30 AM
But is the quality really better than "Custom Shop"?????

That's a question that is up to the consumer to decide. It's too subjective to accurately answer.

tunghaichuan
October 16th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Just to add to the debate, Carvin makes a nice strat style guitar, the Bolt (https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=bolt) that can be had for less than $1000.

Carvin also sells the Bolt Plus (https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=boltplus) and the Contour 66 (https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=c66) which are also very reasonable.

What I keep coming back to is that a bolt-on neck guitar like a strat can be built pretty much by semi-skilled labor. The body and neck are carved out by a CNC machine.

OTOH, a luthier like Suhr puts only the best woods into his guitars. He and/or his staff most likely hand-pick the woods based on lots of experience. Corporations like Fender and Carvin probably don't do this to the same extent that Suhr does. So one thing I can see as an advantage with Suhr is that you're paying for consistency. I can't count how many times I've seen a $1000+ strat that was total crap: mis-aligned strings, poorly cut nuts, mis-aligned pickguards, poorly dressed frets, etc. Even the Bolt I ordered a few years ago was a dog. I ended up sending it back, but I would try Carvin again.

tung

ShortBuSX
October 16th, 2008, 10:01 AM
That's a question that is up to the consumer to decide. It's too subjective to accurately answer.

I agree it is debatable and a product is only worth as much as a person is willing to pay for it.

A "copy" some say? Yes, in the same way a Mercedes is a copy of a Ford Model T.

Did Mercedes ever make a car with the same body style as a Model T Ford...with all of the same(similar) features????

I see one major difference, that could be appealing...flat radius neck.
12 different neck options???

ShortBuSX
October 16th, 2008, 10:10 AM
OTOH, a luthier like Suhr puts only the best woods into his guitars. He and/or his staff most likely hand-pick the woods based on lots of experience. Corporations like Fender and Carvin probably don't do this to the same extent that Suhr does.

Im sure Warmoth and the like do a similar method of hand picking.

So one thing I can see as an advantage with Suhr is that you're paying for consistency. I can't count how many times I've seen a $1000+ strat that was total crap: mis-aligned strings, poorly cut nuts, mis-aligned pickguards, poorly dressed frets, etc.

Yeah, but thats a $1000+ guitar(not that it should be acceptable even at that level)...but a $2000+ Custom Shop model??????

ShortBuSX
October 16th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Great...now Ive killed the topic:whatever:

You know , if the guitar really is that great, all my bantering should only be reinforcing the idea of purchasing it, but you should be able to defend what qualities make it worthy of that price point...you may not have to defend/justify the products cost to me, but you will have to justify it to loved ones as well as yourself....and Im pretty sure repeated use of the word "quality" wouldnt be enough in my household.

How much is a Marshall anyways???

Robert
October 16th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I don't know what you want to hear. I think the Suhr is better than any Fender I've ever played, including Custom Shop Strats. That's all. I don't have to justify the price - I haven't bought it yet! But if I do buy it, let's say I think I've earned a good guitar over the years. I would be getting rid of a lot of low key stuff in order to fund it.

If you need to know details about the Suhr guitars' construction, feel free to ask Suhr Guitars at www.suhrguitars.com.

Hope this qualifies as an answer.

warren0728
October 16th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I dunno, Warren, Z's are a tad flashy, dontcha think? Very beep beep :rotflmao:
yeah....just a tad! :pancake: really more like a work of art than a "player"....

and i've gotta ask....what's the story with your avatar....self portrait? :whatever:

ww

Tone2TheBone
October 16th, 2008, 02:46 PM
So recently...I sold a more expensive guitar to finance a less expensive guitar. You guys can bash me for that if you want. :D I did it because I WANTED TO! Besides I had money left over to pay off the new Boutique pedal (thanks again Voo) and still have $100 left to buy new archery products thanks to ted s. :D

ShortBuSX
October 16th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I don't have to justify the price - I haven't bought it yet!

But if you do buy it, you will have to justify it, and on multiple levels, and to the most random of people.

Hope this qualifies as an answer.

Sure, if thats all youve got.
For some reason I feel like Im walking on egg shells, like StingX, I feel like my line of questions annoy you...and I already know my difference of opinion isnt appreciated, but legitamately I am trying to learn where to place the value in this guitar...normally features dictate value, or how its built, etc...

And I have followed the links, Ive spent the better part of the day reading about Suhr...and as a matter of fact the link you just provided had some interesting reads, for example:

Suhr Guitars is a complete facility. We design a hand-built feel into designs produced with modern technology. We cut our own necks, bodies and pickguards on our state-of-the-art CNC (Computer Numeric Control) routers. Each guitar is detailed prior to paint and assembly. This allows us complete control over quality and consistency of our guitars. These are truly hand-built guitars, each assembled by one builder. We wind our pickups on a computerized winder that allows us to program a consistent "hand-wound" pickup, using a balance of old world tone and modern technology. Our fret slots are CNC cut, all frets are leveled and re-crowned, all edges removed and polished. Our paint process ensures that the beauty of the wood shines through and contributes to the tone of the instrument. We fully endorse the Buzz Feiten Tuning System for the best in intonation and tuning accuracy. Tight neck fits, accurate string alignment and consistent friendly neck back shapes are considered a de facto standard that we replicate in every guitar we build. All this leads to a guitar that you won’t want to put down.

I know you said the intonation was spot on...but why the need for the Buzz Feiten???? Thats totally a set neck guitar feature, usually, right???

Robert, his Limited Editions and One Offs are truely amazing guitars to look at, I can see the value and where the money is going(even if they are $7000+)...but with most of the other models I feel youre paying for the CNC machines that actually produce these guitars, for such a small company, who sells limited numbers of guitars...all for the sake of "handmade feel" in a "Strat type" guitar.

Dude, its $3000....aim for the stars!

Robert
October 16th, 2008, 03:27 PM
It's all a personal thing, isn't it? If I save up 3 grand I might want to spend it on a Suhr. Somebody else might spend that on a holiday, or a new fridge, or whatever.

I do appreciate different opinions and views, but I don't feel like I have the time and effort to try and convince someone that my choices are well justified. It's all a personal choice. If someone doesn't like my choice of gear purchase, I don't really care at all about that. I'm buying stuff for myself, not for someone else.

Feel free to have different opinions - I am totally okay with that! I just hope we can all do so in a positive manner.

I thought the Buzz Feiten system works for any type of neck?

ShortBuSX
October 16th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I thought the Buzz Feiten system works for any type of neck?

It does work for any type of neck, but generally its for set neck type guitars that arent capable of being intonated properlly...like a poorly made Les Paul or SG type of guitar with a set neck and limited adjustability to the bridge.

On a high end guitar that claims to be handbuilt(by CNC machine) to exacting tollerances...and then assembled by hand, by one man and one man only...then why cant they get the intonation right without it?
The only way youd need it is if the neck needed shimming because your saddles couldnt accomdate proper intonation...and shimming wasnt an option.

It's all a personal thing, isn't it? If I save up 3 grand I might want to spend it on a Suhr. Somebody else might spend that on a holiday, or a new fridge, or whatever.

I do appreciate different opinions and views, but I don't feel like I have the time and effort to try and convince someone that my choices are well justified. It's all a personal choice. If someone doesn't like my choice of gear purchase, I don't really care at all about that. I'm buying stuff for myself, not for someone else.

Feel free to have different opinions - I am totally okay with that! I just hope we can all do so in a positive manner.

Okay Robert, how possitive are you going to sound, when a young guitarist at your church approaches you with interest about your brand new $3000 guitar...tell him that whole schpeal! Tell him you "dont have the time to justify it"!
Whatever you do, dont waste your time expalining it to me either...Im kinda done being interested in your topics.
And now that I think about it, it wasnt your glowing review of the Vox AD50 that sold me...it was your playing and the tone that came out of it...but in the sake of being possitve and time constrants Robert, dont bother explaining that to me....Im not youthful, nor do I goto your church....I just belong to a discusion forum which you started, thanks for the discussion...feel free to flip the "ban switch" on me now...cause Im sure I stepped out of the possitive box somewhere during this topic...and as much as you claim to appreciate differing opinions, aside for typing out "I dont mind..." your replies dont indicate that, it kinda seems as if it upsets you...and you dont even own this guitar yet.

Robert
October 16th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Playing and equipment are different animals. I will sound like me on a 25 dollar guitar as well as on a 3 thousand dollar guitar. I would tell anyone to get a guitar that's good and that they can afford. That could mean a Squier '51, a Fender, or anything that's a decent instrument really.

If you want to know why I had an expensive guitar, I would say because I've played guitar for over 25 years, and I finally decided to get a top-of-the-line instrument. I don't need it, exactly. I could just get a decent Fender Strat and be fine with that. I would not tell people that they need a Suhr in order to sound good. That would be a complete lie.

People who like playing golf may buy really good clubs (may be expensive). People who like fishing may buy some really good rods and equipment (may be expensive). People who like hunting may buy some really good rifles (may be expensive). See a pattern?

If you don't like my answer - I can't help you!

I am writing this answer up in case others are interested. I have done my best to explain all this.

ShortBuSX
October 16th, 2008, 05:12 PM
But see Robert, and I think you just hit the nail on the head...its just an expensive guitar.

If you cant tell me or anybody else about the guitar and what makes its so high quality...then thats all it is, expensive.
So right now youve got feel and tone...those are priceless, were in agreement?
Is it actually "handmade"?
What kind of pickups are those anyways?
What about that bridge? Does it offer any sonic differences like a Glenndale or similar?
Those tuners, what about those? A $3000 guitar has got to have some impressive tuners, no?
And what about that Buzz Feiten system?
There really isnt alot of answers on that site...Im sorry, Ive got questions...youre going to get similar ones from other people, warm up to it.

Im gonna go play guitar now...I have no idea why Im so interested in this conversation.:thwap: Oh yeah, its a $3000 guitar, thats why!:thwap:

just strum
October 16th, 2008, 05:24 PM
...I have no idea why Im so interested in this conversation.:thwap: Oh yeah, its a $3000 guitar, thats why!:thwap:

It's because you see someone that you feel may be making a mistake.

If I may step in (because I always am attracted by a train wreck). I think you brought up some very good points. I also think that Robert isn't a foolish man (gassy yes, but not foolish). Because he is not foolish, I believe he will or has read what you've written and taken it into consideration. He owes it to himself to do so before dropping $3,000.

At the end of the day it's his decision and despite what you say, his love for this guitar is what it's all about (oh, and his wife saying that it's ok).

And my final words - BUY A SEMI HOLLOW BODY GUITAR!!!

sumitomo
October 16th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Robert you get that guitar 3 grand for something nice is nothing.In my low end racing of cars one bad move or blown tire and that's 50 grand but it's a blast,you work hard,if it costs 5 grand and its the cats meow get it.You won't regret it.Sumi:D

duhvoodooman
October 16th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Geez, guys--LIGHTEN UP!! You know, I could understand all this poking & prodding if all Robert had done was read their ads, look at their catalog, or surf their website. But he PLAYED the Suhr, and it spoke to him. We all know the guy has played umpteen guitars, especially Strat types. And it should be obvious to anyone who frequents this forum and who has viewed his videos and witnessed his playing that he knows whereof he speaks on such matters. So if this guitar thrilled him and he feels it's worth 3,000 of his hard-earned dollars, who are you, me or anyone else to demand that he justifies himself publicly?? Seems to me that he has already done so, not that it's really needed. My suggestion is that we all just freakin' drop the subject!! This one has gotten out of hand, and for no good reason, IMO.... :thwap: :whatever:

ted s
October 16th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I agree, none of has to justify a purchase to anyone but themselves.

just strum
October 16th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I thought I was being nice and understanding.

Algonquin
October 16th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I agree, none of has to justify a purchase to anyone but themselves.
Ummm Ted... I guess you haven't met my wife ;)

M29
October 16th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Or my wife:thwap:

just strum
October 16th, 2008, 07:20 PM
or mine.

My next wife will be a guitar playing wife, like a few folks here.

and my current wife's next husband can fix the kitchen sink.

stingx
October 16th, 2008, 07:32 PM
or mine.

My next wife will be a guitar playing wife, like a few folks here.

and my current wife's next husband can fix the kitchen sink.

Strum, being from Cleveland, can you please tell me where the term "Cleveland steamer" came from?

Spudman
October 16th, 2008, 08:40 PM
It does work for any type of neck, but generally its for set neck type guitars that arent capable of being intonated properlly...like a poorly made Les Paul or SG type of guitar with a set neck and limited adjustability to the bridge.

On a high end guitar that claims to be handbuilt(by CNC machine) to exacting tollerances...and then assembled by hand, by one man and one man only...then why cant they get the intonation right without it?
The only way youd need it is if the neck needed shimming because your saddles couldnt accomdate proper intonation...and shimming wasnt an option.

You are missing some of the mechanics here. The Feiten system compensates for the discrepancies in string tension and fret spacing. These issues are not correctable using the methods you mention. Another similar system is Earvna and the nuts Music Man uses on their guitars. They all compensate for the issues ALL guitars have. They are therefore not generally "for set neck type guitars" but all guitars.

So there is a big plus for a compensated system. I have it on 2 guitars and the difference between them and conventional systems is extremely noticeable. In my opinion all guitars should come with compensated nuts but for some reason it is being reserved for higher end guitars. Come on companies it's only a few cents more to put these on. (are you listening?)

Jimi75
October 17th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Folks, I have mixed feelings about how this thread developped. To me it was a participant of this forum telling us about the instrument that seems to be the instrument of his dreams. Uttering opinions is absolutely okay as long as the one who opened the thread doesn't have to justify (when there is no need to justify), and in this case it seemed to me like if the person had to explain why he would like to spend the pile of money on that instrument that some declare as not worth the price.

My brother recently planned on buying a handmade pair of Italian shoes that cost him 1000€!!! I would never ever spent the money on shoes, but I supported him in his plans because I knew that these shoes were what he was looking for and that they would make him happy! That's what it is all about! Being happy and satisfied everybody in his own way!

I believe that this wasn't a thread about discussing in the manner of a surgeon about the quality of this guitar - ALTHOUGH OF COURSE EVERYBODY HAS THE RIGHT TO TELL HIS THOUGHTS!

That is just my two cents and I am still convinced that this guitar is perfect for Rob!

Have a nice day my friends

Jimi

stingx
October 17th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Folks, I have mixed feelings about how this thread developped. To me it was a participant of this forum telling us about the instrument that seems to be the instrument of his dreams. Uttering opinions is absolutely okay as long as the one who opened the thread doesn't have to justify (when there is no need to justify), and in this case it seemed to me like if the person had to explain why he would like to spend the pile of money on that instrument that some declare as not worth the price.

My brother recently planned on buying a handmade pair of Italian shoes that cost him 1000€!!! I would never ever spent the money on shoes, but I supported him in his plans because I knew that these shoes were what he was looking for and that they would make him happy! That's what it is all about! Being happy and satisfied everybody in his own way!

I believe that this wasn't a thread about discussing in the manner of a surgeon about the quality of this guitar - ALTHOUGH OF COURSE EVERYBODY HAS THE RIGHT TO TELL HIS THOUGHTS!

That is just my two cents and I am still convinced that this guitar is perfect for Rob!

Have a nice day my friends

Jimi

Hey Jimi,

I agree with you 100% that in no way should Robert have to justify his purchase. I disagree in that everything is up for discussion on a discussion forum, within reason of course. I think it's good to get all angles on what people think on topics and it is great to have so many varied opinions. No comments seemed inappropriate in this particular thread. If Robert didn't want feedback then he never should have posted this in the first place. Same for any topic. Why post anything at all if all you're looking for is to have your ego stroked? Anyway, Robert is a big boy and will do as he pleases and if this particular guitar does it for him then that's really all that matters...what anyone else thinks or comments on is pretty much moot.

ted s
October 17th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Ummm Ted... I guess you haven't met my wife ;)

The buy-in by wifey is a given, c'mon !? ;)

ShortBuSX
October 17th, 2008, 07:53 AM
You are missing some of the mechanics here. The Feiten system compensates for the discrepancies in string tension and fret spacing. These issues are not correctable using the methods you mention. Another similar system is Earvna and the nuts Music Man uses on their guitars. They all compensate for the issues ALL guitars have. They are therefore not generally "for set neck type guitars" but all guitars.

I have it on 2 guitars and the difference between them and conventional systems is extremely noticeable.

Thank you for your patience in explaining that to me, thats the kinda stuff Im after....this is one of the few actual features on this guitar.
Id researched the Earvana system last year when replacing a nut, I even inquired about it at a place that was an authorized dealer/installer...I was practically insulted when I asked about it; "Can you actualy hear the sonic difference without it? You dont really need it then." and I dont excuse his reply, and I didnt let him sway me, I looked into it further, and maybe I was a tad bit too general with my statement in regards to set necks, but youre the first person on any forum thats admitted to owning either of the systems.

Do you mind if I ask what guitars they are on?

ShortBuSX
October 17th, 2008, 08:29 AM
To the rest of the forum, I want to apologize if I seemed out of line....Im really not bashing this guitar or anybody that would spend that kinda of money. I dont feel I deserve any kind of explanation from anybody for any of their purchases. But having said that, we as individuals(all of us) have to justify purchases like this(and really everything we do as people)...there are reasons you do the things you do. If somebody sees you enjoying something, chances are theyre going to ask about it..."whats your story? Why would you do that? Thats just crazy!"...expect to hear it...how you react is upto you...and not the fault of the person asking.

In my case, Im a guy with 10 guitars and 3 amps, to most people thats absurd...but Im justifed, Im able to state my reasoning effortlessly and Im not bothered by anothers response.

If you cant justify it, you cant justify it...if its all mojo, feel, tone for $3000 I can accept that...can you? And if so then just say so.

But for somebody whos never played these instruments, thanks for the sales pitch...theyre site doesnt sell the features very well either, its rather vague too, even for items such as pickups....and Im not perfect, I could be missing all this important info the web site...that kinda why Ive been asking.

Spudman
October 17th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Thank you for your patience in explaining that to me, thats the kinda stuff Im after....this is one of the few actual features on this guitar.
Id researched the Earvana system last year when replacing a nut, I even inquired about it at a place that was an authorized dealer/installer...I was practically insulted when I asked about it; "Can you actualy hear the sonic difference without it? You dont really need it then." and I dont excuse his reply, and I didnt let him sway me, I looked into it further, and maybe I was a tad bit too general with my statement in regards to set necks, but youre the first person on any forum thats admitted to owning either of the systems.

Do you mind if I ask what guitars they are on?

I have the Earvana on a Strat and it is a night and day difference in how the guitar sounds AND plays. Harmonically it just seems richer, more aligned. Superb to the original set up by far.

The other is on my Musicman Luke. I believe all Musicman guitars come with compensated nuts. Chords sound in tune all over the neck and thus fuller and richer and more pleasant to the ear.

You CAN hear the difference and it's not subtle and the guitar plays better as well.

Tone2TheBone
October 17th, 2008, 09:39 AM
To the rest of the forum, I want to apologize if I seemed out of line....Im really not bashing this guitar or anybody that would spend that kinda of money. I dont feel I deserve any kind of explanation from anybody for any of their purchases. But having said that, we as individuals(all of us) have to justify purchases like this(and really everything we do as people)...there are reasons you do the things you do. If somebody sees you enjoying something, chances are theyre going to ask about it..."whats your story? Why would you do that? Thats just crazy!"...expect to hear it...how you react is upto you...and not the fault of the person asking.

In my case, Im a guy with 10 guitars and 3 amps, to most people thats absurd...but Im justifed, Im able to state my reasoning effortlessly and Im not bothered by anothers response.

If you cant justify it, you cant justify it...if its all mojo, feel, tone for $3000 I can accept that...can you? And if so then just say so.

But for somebody whos never played these instruments, thanks for the sales pitch...theyre site doesnt sell the features very well either, its rather vague too, even for items such as pickups....and Im not perfect, I could be missing all this important info the web site...that kinda why Ive been asking.

:poke: ...hey why do you have so many amps huh? ;)

Spudman
October 17th, 2008, 10:40 AM
10 guitars is a little overboard as well.:poke: :D

ShortBuSX
October 17th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the rhetorical questions, kinda helped cheer me up bout this train wreck of mine:thwap:

And thanks for setting me straight about the compensated nuts...I wonder why more people dont use these?

M29
October 17th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Id like to get mine compensated:thwap:

Robert
October 17th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Id like to get mine compensated:thwap:

Me too! :bravo:

just strum
October 17th, 2008, 03:26 PM
...setting me straight about the compensated nuts...I wonder why more people dont use these?

boy, it's one hell of a guitar forum.

Priorities.

just strum
October 17th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Strum, being from Cleveland, can you please tell me where the term "Cleveland steamer" came from?

No clue, never even heard of it until your post - had to go look it up.

Spudman
October 21st, 2008, 08:32 AM
A little more food for thought. I found this on another forum.

"Your gonna hate me, maybe even ban me...

While at GC today, I played a $2099 Suhr Tele. Then playd a $149 Squire Tele. The diffenece? A whole bunch of money. That's it. The tone was a little different. But not $1800 different. Not even different enough for the average person to notice. And get this. The Squire was set up and played better. I know it crazy. But it's absolutely true. Now I've had expensive guitars. I played professionally for 4 years. I considered buying a Tom Anderson a couple years ago for $2400. I've come to the serious conclusion that you can spend all you want on quality and refinement. No one but you will notice or care. The average person will dig your songs if they are good, and wont care about your hand made guitar. And here's the truth. ANY guitar sounds as good as you play. Period.

Well. There ya go. Spend all you want. But if you suck. You're going to suck on a hand made guitar. But if you can take care of business, you'll sound great on even a Squire."