PDA

View Full Version : Shielding A Tele

6STRINGS 9LIVES
June 8th, 2006, 08:10 AM
I've read some recent posts regarding shielding , thought i'd post a few pics on the shielding job i did on my 52 reissue tele . I used shielding paint in all of the body cavities and copper foil , the result is a much quitier guitar that lets more harmonics and twang make to my ears. 6S9L

Robert
June 8th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Awesome my friend! Just what I need!

Does quality on the pots and 3 way switch make a big difference? I wonder if I should upgrade those things on my stock Squier Tele.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
June 8th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Actually Robert the pots and switch are the stock gear on the tele , i have been plannong to do the old switch-a-roo on those and replace them with cts pots and a crl switch , i like the vintage style tele wiring with a 3-way switch , just me .. i think there would be some improvement in durability with the changed parts but probably no noticeable tonal differances .. the stock switches and pots have given me no trouble thus far but that plastic switch is bound to fail , and i intend to fully cloth wire the thing , i do think there is a tonal difference using cloth wire , definitely as far a noise is concerned .. gotta get around to it .. but its summer and i've far to many excuses ... CHEERS 6S9L

Robert
June 8th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Is yours a Fender or a Squier? I have a Squier Indonesian Tele. Another thing I need is a better input jack - mine is really crappy and is about to fall out anytime.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
June 8th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Robert its a high end crafted in japan fender 1952 telecaster reissue .. real nice quality came stock with texas specials , kinda neat the way the japanese do things , when they built this model tl52-80txsp they realy adhered to the design of the original , 2 piece ash body that is center matched , meaning the two pieces of ash are joined in the center of the body and it looks seamless , another neat thing is that all the screws which hold the plate tuners , neck and bridge are flat head rather than philips just like they did it in 1952 ,, it realy is a great guitar for the money ..the only change other than the shielding is that i installed a callaham bridge and compensated brass saddles , the callaham bridge is made of heavier steel and screws to the body in 2 additional places making it more secure to the body giving it noticeably greater sustain and ring , the bridge also has a little notch cut in the edge rails on the bottom making it easier for playing back there ..its one of my favourite guitars in my herd .. by the way the callaham bridge would run you about 100.00 and would be the best bang for the buck mod you could do to your squire , imho ...6S9L