PDA

View Full Version : New webserver--please try!

duhvoodooman
October 14th, 2008, 08:43 PM
All:

I converted my daughter's former desktop PC over to duty as my new webserver. This replaces my faithful 10+ year-old Dell XPS-R. It's a much faster machine, although I don't know if that will be evident for something as rudimentary as serving fairly simple web documents.

But in any case, I'd appreciate it if a few of you would just "hit" the site and open a few documents to confirm that all is functioning properly. It seems to be fine from "this side of the router", but I'd like to verify that it's working properly from out there in the great beyond! Here's the link:

http://duhvoodooman.com

tunghaichuan
October 14th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I clicked on your URL and opened up about 5 or 6 pages. It seems to work fine. Loads fast. :AOK:

tung

Robert
October 14th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I get nada.

duhvoodooman
October 14th, 2008, 09:08 PM
I get nada.
Try clearing your browser cache--my router IP address changed tonight when I reset it, and I had to clear my browser cache to get rid of the old one.

It's http://74.70.157.90, if you want to try it directly.

sunvalleylaw
October 14th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I tried it and didn't get anything to load either. I cleared my cache and tried again but it still did not work.

EDIT: I left the page up and it loaded, then I closed it again and opened it in a new page. It loads instantly now. Working fine.

duhvoodooman
October 14th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Try again now. I think Roadrunner may be having some problems locally tonight....

sunvalleylaw
October 14th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Working fine. I just tried it in Firefox, to try it with a browser I had not cleared, and it popped up quickly.

Robert
October 14th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I see a nice Fret.Net link on duh voodoo man's site now! Schweeet.

piebaldpython
October 14th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Click.......click.........click........click...... ....very impressive site DVM and everything I clicked on opened right up from my nearly 10 year old Dell. Very cool!!!

ted s
October 15th, 2008, 06:40 AM
AOK from here, loads up fast Vood !

duhvoodooman
October 15th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Thanks, guys! Loads nicely here at work from behind our nefarious firewall & proxy server, so I guess it's all systems go! :AOK:

Now I just need to move a few files off the Dell and officially retire the old girl. Details on this machine can be found HERE (http://www.duhvoodooman.com/syspecs/syspecs2.html) (a link which happens to mention the origin of "Duh Voodoo Man" nickname). It's been just an incredible workhorse--unbelievably reliable. It ran 24/7 as my webserver since just before Christmas 2002--nearly six full years. The only maintenance done during that time was to shut it down for a few minutes every 6 months or so and vacuum out the dust that accumulates on the fan blades and vent cages! I'll stick it down in the cellar and hold on to it as a backup, just in case.

marnold
October 15th, 2008, 09:36 AM
A couple pages took awhile to come through slowly (stuck at the "waiting for" message in Firefox) but once the pages were being transferred they came quite quickly. Could be one of those "vagarities of the Internet" things.

Dauntless
October 15th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Fine on my end.

Jipes
October 16th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Looks mighty fine for me surfing with Opera browser. The Gear section is a bit slow to load (probably due to to the loading of the photos) but everything works fine :AOK:

warren0728
October 16th, 2008, 03:12 AM
works fine here vood....mac using firefox....noticed it seems to lag when opening a new browser window....when you click on a pedal or gear photo....

ww

Kazz
October 16th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Looks nice DVM....I will be stopping back by either tonight or this weekend...I did not know you were a computer guru too....some of those overclocking articles are must reads :-)

I also want to go back and read your video card articles. Nice stuff. Quicker load times on your local pages than the ones outside of your server too.

duhvoodooman
October 16th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Looks nice DVM....I will be stopping back by either tonight or this weekend...I did not know you were a computer guru too....some of those overclocking articles are must reads :-)

I also want to go back and read your video card articles. Nice stuff. Quicker load times on your local pages than the ones outside of your server too.
Messing around with PC's and video cards used to be my "main gig" until I got back into guitar about 3 years back. Really haven't kept up that side of website since then, so you'll find most of the PC-related content is way out of date now. But feel free to poke around to your little heart's content. :AOK:

One of the older pages you'll find through the site page index describes the reason why I was able to glom 10 years of service out of my old Dell XPS-R server. The Powerleap PL-iP3/T adapter technology (http://duhvoodooman.com/powrleap/PLIntro.htm) allowed me to use faster Intel processors that wouldn't normally have been compatible with the PC's BX motherboard. It topped out at 1.4GHz--more than 3x the clockspeed of the unit's original PII 400MHz processor. Not too shabby for a 1998 vintage PC! And Powerleap ended up putting links to the page on their site and a couple of foreign distributors, so it ended up with over a quarter-million "hits".

BTW, I just run this server off my standard RoadRunner cable service. When I first wanted to set up the site back in 2001, I checked with RR and was stunned to find out that they actually allow this kind of thing--thought for sure that they'd want me to pay extra for some kind of "commercial service" upgrade to be able to run a server. I'm quite certain it restricts the performance of the site, due to the 1 Mbps upload speed limitation for their standard home internet service. Testing the speed on Speakeasy (http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/), I find the actual upload usually runs around 900 kbps. But since I'm not streaming video or audio here, it's more than adequate for a personal web page. Just takes the larger photos a few seconds to load.

Algonquin
October 16th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Works fine connecting from up here in the Great White North. Pages open quickly, but pictures take a ltlle bit of time to load, at least when I go directly to your gear page and everything is displayed. Clicking on an individual pic comes up quickly though. Bottom line is everything seems fine :AOK:

warren0728
October 16th, 2008, 06:04 AM
BTW, I just run this server off my standard RoadRunner cable service. When I first wanted to set up the site back in 2001, I checked with RR and was stunned to find out that they actually allow this kind of thing--thought for sure that they'd want me to pay extra for some kind of "commercial service" upgrade to be able to run a server.
that's surprising....i have roadrunner and they specifically state that you can't run a server (although i'm sure a lot of people do)....unless they have changed their policy....do you pay for a static ip or do you use something like dynamic dns?

ww

duhvoodooman
October 16th, 2008, 06:55 AM
that's surprising....i have roadrunner and they specifically state that you can't run a server (although i'm sure a lot of people do)....unless they have changed their policy....do you pay for a static ip or do you use something like dynamic dns?
Surprised me, too. I have their usual dynamic IP address assignment, but it doesn't change very often--once or twice a year, tops. I just have to go over to my free DNS service (ZoneEdit.com (http://www.zoneedit.com/)) and update the IP address when that happens. Only takes a minute, so it's a very minimal inconvenience.

Kazz
October 16th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I noticed some pictures took longer to load than others....so that is exactly what I thought was going on.....going to have to read up on that powerleap...I have been building computers for the last 12 years and that is the first I have heard of an adapter that would allow you to run a 3x faster processor than the buss would allow for.

That just blows me away.

I would surmise that my next project building a modern day pc in that Mac G4 would be no issue to you at all....depending on the board I end up using there is a good likelihood of having to remove the audio headers and relocating some capacitors so that the drop down door that serves as a motherboard tray will close.