PDA

View Full Version : The rat has landed

araT
October 15th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Hey all! :D

I'm Tara, a 23yr old sound engineer down in Sydney, Australia.. I've been playing on & off (mostly on) for the last decade and have accrued quite the collection of axes over the years. I mostly play rock, but my job allows me to appreciate music in all genres, I'll listen to (and attempt to play) *almost* anything!

Here's me with my '89 MIJ Fender Custom '72RI:
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/889448f55f56b2d7e.jpg

Here's my family of guitars:
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/889448f55e6550eab.jpg

Aria A553 Classical, Fender '08 AmStd Telecaster, Fender Telecaster Custom '72RI '89, Gibson Les Paul 30th Ann. Deluxe, Gibson Robot [First Run], Gibson '93 SG Standard, Ibanez SA-160 [Frankensteined], Ibanez SB70, Samick Bass, Wolf WST-Mini

And here's my music corner (significantly shrunken as I'm moving to Canada soon):
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/889448f589956a4ff.jpg

Marshal MG100DFX, Yamaha KM-602 Mixer, Boss BF-3 Flanger, Boss CH-1 Super Chorus, Boss DD-3 Digital Delay, Boss DS-1 Distortion, Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter, Dunlop GCB-95 Cry Baby Wah-Wah

Looking forward to killing lots of time with y'all! :dude:

duhvoodooman
October 15th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Welcome to The Fret, araT! Glad to have you with us. That's a drool-worthy collection of axes, indeed!! Good luck with your impending move to Canada. Where 'xactly in the Great White North are you moving to? We have several faithful Fretters up there, including The Boss (Renman, not Springsteen!).

Kazz
October 15th, 2008, 05:01 AM
Welcome to the asylum Tara....moving to Canada eh.....You and Robert will be neighbors then :-) a few more Canucks on the board I believe too.

araT
October 15th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!! :beer:

Glad you like my collection! it's been mostly luck, stumbling onto little gems every once in a while, I worked in a small guitar store all through high school and found the Ibanez SB70 & the Aria A553 there (both a steal at $300 each), the rest have been friends selling & local stores.. the only eBay there is the AmStd Tele, which also happens to be my #1.

I'll be off to Toronto as soon as the Canadian dept. of immigration gives me the nod, which shouldn't be long now - 12 months at most! I'm looking forward to the move as I'll finally be able to find work as a sound engineer again - the industry here is so dead it's impossible to get work if you don't have SERIOUS connections.. I'm in I.T. right now as it's a far more reliable mistress.

Hopefully I'll get to meet these infamous Canuck fretters once I've moved, would be nice to have some jam buddies lined up!

Once again, thanks for the warm welcomes, this place is great! :AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
October 15th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Welcome Tara!

Which is your favorite ax?

araT
October 15th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Wow, straight to the tough questions, eh? :bravo:

My #1 is definitely the American Standard Tele, it feels the best to play, it fits right, and I love the look of it.. The SG is a close second. That said, the '72RI Tele is probably getting the most play at the moment as it's the newest and it's quite 'reliced' up already so I don't feel guilty schlepping it around with me!

I love them all and would have a really hard time parting with any of them, they'll all be moving with me..

My next purchase will most likely be a 60's Fender Jaguar, I've always liked them and I've wanted one for quite some time, but first I'll need to find one that really talks to me, and that's proving much harder than I first thought.. I also want to get my fingers on a 12 string electric of some shape or form, any suggestions here? Maybe a Rickenbacker?

Brian Krashpad
October 15th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Welcome again!

From Oz to Canadia!

Brr. ;)

sunvalleylaw
October 15th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Welcome Tara! Very nice equipment list you got there. I am glad you joined us!

Robert
October 15th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Hey Tara, Welcome! I'm in Alberta so I guess we won't be jamming every week once you move... but welcome to the big country of polar bears and ice floats anyway. Nice guitars!

How did you discover the Fret.Net?

Rocket
October 15th, 2008, 06:43 AM
My #1 is definitely the American Standard Tele, it feels the best to play, it fits right, and I love the look of it.. The SG is a close second.
A Standard Tele feels & fits right and SG a CLOSE second???
Hmmm... never heard that in 40+ years of playing... and I'll bet I never hear of that again!

Regardless... welcome... jump in the deep end of the loony-pool... get yer feet wet!

araT
October 15th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Thanks again everyone!! :D

Brian: You got that right! but I have good German blood, should be enough to keep me going, if not there's always central heating :)

sunvalleylaw: Thanks!

Robert: Aww, shame, I see a potential roadtrip in my future! I was googling for something guitar-related, no idea what now, and found a very informative thread here - I signed right up but I've been busy and it's taken me till now to come out of the woodwork!

Rocket: Don't get me wrong, they're very different beasts.. I'd say the main reason the SG holds a close #2 is it's story, it was my first 'pro' guitar, and my mum bought it for me - the only guitar I own I didn't save for.. the reason it didn't hang on to #1 is it's neck, too big for my girly little hands, but nothing beats it when I want to get down & dirty..

Rocket
October 15th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Rocket: Don't get me wrong, they're very different beasts.. I'd say the main reason the SG holds a close #2 is it's story, it was my first 'pro' guitar, and my mum bought it for me - the only guitar I own I didn't save for.. the reason it didn't hang on to #1 is it's neck, too big for my girly little hands, but nothing beats it when I want to get down & dirty..
Try out a Joan Jett Melody Maker (http://www.gibson.com/en-us/divisions/gibson%20usa/products/designer/joan-jett-melody-maker/)... I got one a couple months ago. If you're rockin' hard, I'd bet you'd love one.
Another great choice for small hands is the Epiphone Ultra or Gibson Vixen.

araT
October 15th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Will do Rocket, maybe I'll sneak up to the local shop on my lunchbreak tomorrow! Thanks for the recommendation!

I've been meaning to get up there to sus out some (maybe Rickenbacker?) 12 strings.. I've been putting it off as I'm trying not to stoke the GAS flames too soon.. my wallet will hate me..

Any of you own or played a Rickenbacker 12 string? how are the necks on them? any other suggestions for a nice 12 string electric?

Rocket
October 15th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Any of you own or played a Rickenbacker 12 string? how are the necks on them? any other suggestions for a nice 12 string electric?
I have an old 1966 Ric 360-12... quite used! I don't play it. I bought it as an investment years ago and never got around to having it restored properly. Once you get past the dirty, sticky, & gummy old neck, it's very similar to a 12-string Deacon I used to own.
I should get that thing cleaned up!

Sorry, no suggestion from me for 12-string electric... I don't play them. New Ric would probably be a great choice though from what I've gathered from those that play the elec12's.

warren0728
welcome arat....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake:

note: this welcome copyrighted 2008...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

wingsdad
Welcome aboard, araT. :beer: Good luck with your move to Toronto...besides the Canadian roots and members, with a few fretters from Oz aboard here, you'll be homeward.

... I also want to get my fingers on a 12 string electric of some shape or form, any suggestions here? Maybe a Rickenbacker?

Rather than go off-topic on your intro, I've put a response to this in the 'next guitar' thread, where you asked the same question. ;)

WackyT
October 15th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Welcome aboard, Tara!

Tone2TheBone
October 15th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Hey Tara welcome to the Fret. :)

Radioboy950
October 15th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I also want to get my fingers on a 12 string electric of some shape or form, any suggestions here? Maybe a Rickenbacker?

Greetings!
Very nice collection of gear.
The best 12 string electric I ever played was a Gibson 335 12. Exquisite tone and playability.

Spudman
October 15th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Welcome araT. :wave:

If you need more guitars with small necks check out a Musicman Luke sometime.

araT
October 15th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks a lot everyone :D you guys are fabulous :beer:
Oh, and a big thanks to Rocket & wingsdad, I'm going to go read it right now! I think you two have me sold on a Ricky ;)

Radioboy: I've had a play of one, but the necks are EVEN bigger than a regular gibson neck, I agree they are beautiful, but I just wouldn't be able to play it sadly - a friend of mine owns one and I've drooled over it many times

just strum
October 15th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Tara,

Welcome to the forum. As you have already found out, there are a lot of good folks here. Once you get situated in Canada, I am on the other side of Lake Erie (about a 5 hour drive). I've been taking trips up there this year, but that appears to be winding down. I love the area (I go to Georgetown right outside of Toronto.

The pic of gear is impressive and I must say you brought out the gift for gab with Rocket.

Anyway, welcome and enjoy.

araT
October 15th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Hi just_strum! thanks for the warm welcome :)

I drove around the area a fair bit when I was up there in May/June, absolutely beautiful! I really can't wait to get up there!

Dauntless
October 15th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Welcome!!

player
October 15th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Welcome Tara
I know you will like it here ©

araT
October 16th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Thanks guys :) You've brightened a rather crappy day!

I didn't get time to hit the guitar store today, work was chaos, but hopefully tomorrow or on the weekend!
Ricky GAS is BAAAD! I want I want I want!

oldguy
October 16th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Welcome to TheFret, araT! Glad you joined us here, and I might add your guitar/amp/gear collection is awesome. Nice intro also.
( The Home Recording / Showcase is a nice place to post clips when your rockin' out and wanna share........... hint, hint.):D

warren0728
October 16th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Thanks guys :) You've brightened a rather crappy day!

I didn't get time to hit the guitar store today, work was chaos, but hopefully tomorrow or on the weekend!
Ricky GAS is BAAAD! I want I want I want!
here's to a better day today.... :beer:

gas is baaad....but oh so gooood!! :AOK: :pancake:

ww

tunghaichuan
October 16th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Welcome to the Fret. This is a great group of people. :dude:

tung

SuperSwede
October 16th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Welcome to the fret!

Gil Janus
October 16th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Welcome - there's lots of room available. :dude: :AOK:

This is a really nice place to hang and soak up some knowledge, and of course if you're willing, to share some of yours with the rest of the cast of guitar nerds that have allowed themselves to be caught up with the whys and hows of making music on a guitar. :rotflmao:

Sorry for the long winded welcome - it's that time of the year :thwap:

Gil :cool:

Algonquin
October 16th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Welcome to the Fret!
Cheers :beer:

araT
October 17th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the warm welcomes :) I had a much better day today, still no time to sneak off to the guitar store though - I'll have to do it over the weekend!

Gil - not long winded at all, I'll help & share everything I know, the trick will be getting me to shut up ;) ..and I'll definitely be sharing some recordings just as soon as I find the time to get my music PC up and running again

Hope you all have a great weekend! :bravo:

Strat Vader
October 17th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Sorry I'm late guys. I've been in the studio and haven't been able to check in for a while.

scgmhawk
October 20th, 2008, 09:13 AM
A belated Welcome and Cheers! :beer:

ET335
October 20th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Welcome araT!! Great to have you here!!

Nice collection of gear you have there:AOK:

t_ross33
October 20th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Welcome aboard araT! Don't know how I missed your original post/intro :confused:

Anyway...

On your roadtrip from T.O. (aka Toronto, aka the Centre of the Universe) to jam with Robert in Alberta, you will have to drive past my place, so maybe you could pick me up on your way :D I'll buy the beer. :beer:

Look forward to chatting with ya on theFret.

Oh, if the T.O. thing doesn't work out, have a serious look West for your line of work - Vancouver would be a natural second choice, but there's lots of indie stuff going on in Saskatchewan and Alberta.

Trev

araT
October 23rd, 2008, 05:30 PM
Thanks again everyone, you sure are a lovely bunch!

ET355: Thanks, glad you enjoyed em! :)

t_ross33: You're on, we'll form an impromptu TheFret Canadian Jam session, hehehe, thanks for the advice on the job front, I really appreciate is as I'm really not sure where my best chances are - I'm sort of jumping in feet first & seeing what'll happen!

On a side note I heard from the Canadian Consulate today, hopefully I'll be there by July 2010

just strum
October 23rd, 2008, 05:36 PM
On a side note I heard from the Canadian Consulate today, hopefully I'll be there by July 2010

It takes that long to get in? I would come to the US, all you need is a note from your mother. Once here, all you need is a birth certificate and drivers license (you can buy one in the US) to get into Canada.

warren0728
October 23rd, 2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks again everyone, you sure are a lovely bunch!
you obviously haven't check out this thread (with the exception of cb, gg and a few wives, girlfriends and daughters).... :rotflmao:

unfortunately some of the pics are no longer there!

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=4682

araT
October 23rd, 2008, 05:46 PM
Hahah, that's not a bad idea just_strum! but wouldn't I need to get a green card & all that crap first? They say it can take up to 2 or 3 years to get permanent residency in Canada, that's what I'm waiting on.

Warren: LOL, great thread, I'm at work right now or I'd add a couple of my own.. there's one at the beginning of this thread for a start, though :)

R.B. Huckleberry
November 2nd, 2008, 09:43 AM
Belated welcome, Tara. hang in there. You'll get to this continent before you know it.

Just don't twell them you hang around here on the application.

warren0728
November 2nd, 2008, 10:16 AM
ust don't twell them you hang around here on the application.
yep....that could be bad.... :thwap:

araT
November 3rd, 2008, 05:07 PM
Hahaha, or maybe it's not so bad - maybe they see how much money I'm pumping into the American ecomony hahahaha!

A little update, I went & bought myself a Rickenbacker 360/12 in Fireglo with 7.4K Toasters on Sunday - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270292922975

Pics from the seller:
http://www.rickresource.com/register/user_images/6621/2-fullsize.jpg
http://www.rickresource.com/register/user_images/6621/1-fullsize.jpg
http://www.rickresource.com/register/user_images/6621/4-fullsize.jpg

It should be here sometime between Wednesday & Friday :D YAY!!!

Thanks everyone for all your advice on the matter :dude:

Spudman
November 3rd, 2008, 05:24 PM
Very nice guitar Tara. Do we start calling you Ricky now?

warren0728
November 3rd, 2008, 05:56 PM
that's a beauty tara.... :drool:

araT
November 3rd, 2008, 06:20 PM
Thanks guys... I'm failing miserably at killing time, can't wait till it's finally here :bravo:

wingsdad
November 3rd, 2008, 10:14 PM
A little update, I went & bought myself a Rickenbacker 360/12 in Fireglo with 7.4K Toasters ...
Woah...:thwap: You don't mess around. Nice lookin' 360/12, and looks like you nailed it at a good price, esp. in Aussie dollars. The 2 little dings are nuthin'. Congrats :beer:

sunvalleylaw
November 3rd, 2008, 10:29 PM
Very, very nice! Congrats!

araT
November 4th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Woah...:thwap: You don't mess around. Nice lookin' 360/12, and looks like you nailed it at a good price, esp. in Aussie dollars. The 2 little dings are nuthin'. Congrats :beer:

Thanks wingsdad!! I owe most of it to you :beer:

Ch0jin
November 4th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Damn thats nice!

I love old Rick bass's, but I do have a soft spot for their guitars too and that one looks heaps cool. Gratz man :)

Good luck on all your relocation stuff too.
(although it sucks that another Sydney fretter appears and then moves to Canada haha. I guess my secret identity stays secret for a while longer)

araT
November 4th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Ch0jin - I won't be moving for another 2 years, so there's plenty of time to sleuth you out ;) where in sydney are you? I'm over in the east.

Ch0jin
November 4th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Whoops I spoke too soon :thwap:

I'm in Waterloo. (cue abba song)
It's a bit ghetto, but it's cheap and close to loads of awesome venues :)

araT
November 4th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Right near where I work!! I'm on the corner of Maddox & McEvoy! (sometimes Waterloo, sometimes Alexandria, depending who you ask) You must have had a front row seat to that whole balcony saga eh? so sad.

Maybe one day we'll get together for a jam or something, if you want to get in touch hit me up at araT85@gmail.com!

Ch0jin
November 4th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Wow so close! I work on O'Dea Ave so pretty close by :)

Re: the Balcony thing. I'm kinda of crap at keeping up with current events, so I was more than a little freaked when as I approached my place there were cops everywhere. Cops everywhere is rarely a good sign...

Then I realised they were heading over the road and not into my complex so I had to check out the news and then I found out what had happened.

It'd be cool to have a jam some time, I dunno if there are any other ppl on here from Sydney we can drag along, but if there are that'd be cool too. Be warned though my fetish for guitars and amps is much stronger than my ability to actually use them.

Given your stash of guitars, are you playing in a band right now?

araT
November 5th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Yeah, I drove right by it that morning and was wondering what the heck was going on, I figured it'd be one of the junkies.. one click on SMH revealed the tragic truth.. must have been real scary living across from it though.

Definitely not in a band, last attempt at that was high-school.. I actually work as a sound engineer (when I can find the work) heh.. though the job in Alexandria is I.T. - a far more reliable mistress. And my collection far outranks my skill, I figure they're safer than banks and much more fun ;) I've been playing for about a decade, but never really put much into it, I've only been giving it serious energy last 2 or 3 years.

Damnit I can't wait for the Ric any more, it's tearing me up! I don't know how you lot order them from the factory & wait 2 or 3 years!

tunghaichuan
November 5th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Damnit I can't wait for the Ric any more, it's tearing me up! I don't know how you lot order them from the factory & wait 2 or 3 years!

We don't have to. This store is about 10 miles from my house:

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/ric/

Now if I only had the cash to afford one :thwap:

tung

duhvoodooman
November 5th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Not a 12-string player myself, but can still appreciate how FREAKIN' SWEET that guitar is!! Nice score, Tara! :AOK:

Ch0jin
November 5th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Yeah I had to wait close to 3 months for my Maton and that was the longest 3 months ever. There's no way I'd wait a year or years for, well anything. I'm impatient :)

araT
November 5th, 2008, 06:59 PM
tunghaichuan: Well aren't you lucky! I've been reading on the Ric forums and theres a thread there for people waiting for guitars they've ordered from the factory.. most odered them around April 2006 :thwap:

duhvoodooman: Thanks man :D - y'know they do a 6 string version of the same guitar, right? :D

The courier called this morning, it'll be here by midday tomorrow.. temptation to pull a sickie rising... rising!

warren0728
November 5th, 2008, 07:12 PM
The courier called this morning, it'll be here by midday tomorrow.. temptation to pull a sickie rising... rising!
tara....i can tell from the tone of your post that you aren't feeling well....i recommend you stay home tomorrow just to be safe.... :pancake: :AOK:

Ch0jin
November 5th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Especially as it's a Friday! I can here you coughing from here!

I was away at Bluesfest last year during the last of the 12 weeks I had to wait for the Maton. I got back home on a Wednesday and Thursday morning the dude called and said it had arrived.

The best part was I didn't have to go back to work till the following Monday :)

So if I were you *cough* I'd be feeling pretty crook by this arvo.

hehe.

tunghaichuan
November 5th, 2008, 09:01 PM
tunghaichuan: Well aren't you lucky! I've been reading on the Ric forums and theres a thread there for people waiting for guitars they've ordered from the factory.. most odered them around April 2006 :thwap:

Well, I'm not really lucky. If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all :rotflmao:

I'd like to have a Ric, but I'm broke so no go. :( Having 20 or 30 in a guitar shop near me doesn't help me :D

tung

araT
November 5th, 2008, 10:19 PM
You guys are right *cough cough* I'd better rest so I'm better *sneeze* for the busy day I have on Monday *cough cough* :D :bravo: Sickie here we come! - If the boss asks I'll say Dr. T. Fret recommended I take the day off :AOK:

tunghaichuan: Ok, not so lucky then, but if you did have the money for a Ric & the desire to buy one, you'd just have to step out of your door, no waiting time - that is pure luck my friend!

araT
November 6th, 2008, 10:36 PM
IT'S HERE!!! :D :bravo: :dude:

PHOTOBUCKET ALBUM HERE (http://s499.photobucket.com/albums/rr353/araTguitars/Rickenbacker%2036012/)

Individual photos:
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr353/araTguitars/Rickenbacker%2036012/DSC01295.jpg
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr353/araTguitars/Rickenbacker%2036012/DSC01296.jpg
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr353/araTguitars/Rickenbacker%2036012/DSC01298.jpg
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr353/araTguitars/Rickenbacker%2036012/DSC01300.jpg
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr353/araTguitars/Rickenbacker%2036012/DSC01302.jpg
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr353/araTguitars/Rickenbacker%2036012/DSC01303.jpg
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr353/araTguitars/Rickenbacker%2036012/DSC01304.jpg
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr353/araTguitars/Rickenbacker%2036012/DSC01305.jpg

Updated family photo:
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr353/araTguitars/MyGuitars2008-11.jpg

sunvalleylaw
November 6th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Hmm, that thing is just a little bit pretty. Nice collection!

Ch0jin
November 7th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Wow thats nice! (and now I get why they call them "toaster" pickups)

Is that a blue robot I spy there too?

araT
November 7th, 2008, 12:28 AM
sunvalleylaw: Thanks! :beer:

Ch0jin: thanks! haha yeah, very 'toaster' like.. I'm in love with it! I haven't had a chance to plug it in yet, but I've had a little play unplugged and WOW! :bravo: That is indeed a Robot, one of the first-run ones.. very cool to watch those tuners move of their own volition! I love the paintjob on it, too..

wingsdad
November 7th, 2008, 08:02 AM
...I'm in love with it! I haven't had a chance to plug it in yet, but I've had a little play unplugged and WOW! :bravo: ...

Congrats, tara... :beer:

Guess that means the fit/feel of the Rick's neck suits your hand size OK?

The rounded top of a 'regular' 360 (vs. the flatter bound top of a 'WB' like mine) does give it a bit more acoustic resonance and unplugged volume.

When you get to plug in, have fun with the little 5th knob...toggle switch set for both pups. And that would be 'just' in mono.:)

araT
November 7th, 2008, 10:39 PM
wingsdad: Absolutely spot on, this is definitely one of my fav guitars! - I don't quite know if it's stolen #1 from the AmStd tele yet, but it's closing ground!! I still can't thank you enough for steering some general GAS in the right direction, I owe the fact that I found this guitar to you.. Who'da thunk I'd find one here in Oz for $2000 AUD ($1300 USD) though, that was just too good to resist!

The neck is good, not the best neck for me but certainly manageable and I'm sure I'll get used to it and grow to love it!.. it's just a little bit too.. deep, does that make sense?

I can't wait to plug her in later today & have a good strum, it'll be even better when my 'Y' cable gets here and I can mess around with recording the Ric-O-Sound! :D

What a coincidence that they found the beatles secret 'Hard Day's Night' chord just days before I aqquired the appropriate guitar, I take that as a serious sign to go do some beatlesing ;)

Once again, thank you thank you thank you :master: :beer:

wingsdad
November 8th, 2008, 10:05 AM
... Who'da thunk I'd find one here in Oz for $2000 AUD ($1300 USD) though, that was just too good to resist!
That was just serendipity at work with a sign it was time for you to get it. ;) It wouldn't have been fair for you to wait and to save more like another $500-1000 USD.

The neck ....just a little bit too.. deep, does that make sense?
I think it's because the neck is so narrow for a twelve, the 'c' shape to it feels 'chunkier' since you need to 'arch' your fingers a bit more to get 'on top' of the strings...does that make sense?

... the beatles secret 'Hard Day's Night' chord ...
All that music theory and math mularkey makes for nice cocktail party banter...but George actually revealed 'the secret' in an interview on the BBC right after the song/movie was out. He might have been kidding, of course. The chord was an accident, like the accidental discovery of the feedback that opens 'I Feel Fine' (John or George's EJ-160 leaning against an amp). George explained it came from dropping the Rick. Then they just tried stuff & built stuff on top of it. It wasn't rocket science.

Once again, thank you thank you thank you
Once again, you're welcome. :beer:
Have a blast with yours.

araT
November 8th, 2008, 10:42 PM
That was just serendipity at work with a sign it was time for you to get it. ;) It wouldn't have been fair for you to wait and to save more like another $500-1000 USD.

Hahah, so true, before I found this one I was kicking myself that I hadn't started GASsing for one 6 months earlier, then I could have picked one up while I was in Toronto and the dollars were parity. Absolutely serendipitous.

I think it's because the neck is so narrow for a twelve, the 'c' shape to it feels 'chunkier' since you need to 'arch' your fingers a bit more to get 'on top' of the strings...does that make sense?

It does make sense, and I'm getting used to it quickly! it's nothing unmanageable like on all the other 12s I've tried over the years.

All that music theory and math mularkey makes for nice cocktail party banter...but George actually revealed 'the secret' in an interview on the BBC right after the song/movie was out. He might have been kidding, of course. The chord was an accident, like the accidental discovery of the feedback that opens 'I Feel Fine' (John or George's EJ-160 leaning against an amp). George explained it came from dropping the Rick. Then they just tried stuff & built stuff on top of it. It wasn't rocket science.

Very true, it was all very experimental which makes it even harder for us laymen to replicate.. George actually dropped his Rick repeatedly to achieve a sound? ouch :thwap:

Once again, you're welcome. :beer:
Have a blast with yours.

Oh I am! :D hope you're having a great weekend!

cobalt
November 11th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Tara, A very late welcome. I'm rather new to the forum myself. Nice job on the Ric. Now you just need to post some samples. What is your favorite type of music to play?