PDA

View Full Version : What do you want?

Spudman
October 15th, 2008, 10:43 AM
As I get older I feel like I've got just about all the stuff I want. I've probably for sure got more than I need.

The reason I bring this up is that as birthdays and holidays come around people get me gifts that are often useless or a waste of money. Most of the time I'd just prefer some Haribo gummy bears or a big bag of pistachio nuts or better yet take me to dinner.

Have you gotten to this point too? If so what other things would you like as presents for your birthday or Christmas? What do you get folks that already have everything? What do you want?

Tone2TheBone
October 15th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I give people money to do with whatever they want. I like getting money too but I often hint for gifts like video games and DVDs etc. I love getting restaurant gift cards.

Robert
October 15th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Come on, you KNOW what I want...! :D

Glacies
October 15th, 2008, 11:07 AM
The only material things I want are too expensive to ask for.

Victory Vegas
BMW 5 Series
Extension on the house
New master bath

stuff like that

I'll ask for a guitar and amp for Christmas though.

ShortBuSX
October 15th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I dunno bout my wants and needs, I think I could make a healthy list...my problem is I never know what to get anybody!

For example:
My lil cousin had her 13th birthday on Saturday, so I went shopping...after going to 3 different stores I began to realize, Im so out of touch with what 13 y.o. girls want...so I gave up and stuffed her b-day card with a $20:thwap:

sunvalleylaw
October 15th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I tend to want "gear" type things that are luxuries for a Dad type. Things that go with my guitar, bicycling, ski habits, or books, cd's, dvd's, etc. I have asked for homebrew supplies also. I am seeing my brother from Seattle this weekend and I asked for a Seattle beer care package that has in it beers I can't get out here in the intermountain west. (We have great geography and scenery out here, but the locals taste in beer just does not add up). Or just some dough so I can go pick those things out myself. But those are definitely wants and not needs. I guess "treats" are what are on my birthday and Christmas list. For instance, I know I don't need another pedal at this point, but I will prolly figure one out to put on my Christmas list. But an enjoyable experience with friends and family would be just as good.

P.S. Glad to know you like Gummy Bears on your B-day. Sorry the bears and worms I got you on your B-day weren't Haribo. ;)

Spudman
October 15th, 2008, 01:53 PM
The only material things I want are too expensive to ask for.

See. That's what I mean. Family or friends will get you something that you don't really desire or need and the stuff that you really do want is out of reach for a gift situation.

Sorry the bears and worms I got you on your B-day weren't Haribo

Haribo is the Champagne of gummy bears. All gummy bears are good - some are just better. ;)

warren0728
October 15th, 2008, 01:59 PM
i usually ask the kids to make me a card (much better than a store bought one) and usually request music dvds or cds....

ww

hubberjub
October 15th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I am hard to shop for because all I am really interested in is guitar related (expensive and guitar related) and I wouldn't want anyone spending that kind of money on me anyway. My parents usually carry out some project on my house for me. Paint a room, strip old wallpaper, stuff that I'm too lazy to do. I feel sorry for my wife because she has to be more creative than that.

Glacies
October 15th, 2008, 02:49 PM
See. That's what I mean. Family or friends will get you something that you don't really desire or need and the stuff that you really do want is out of reach for a gift situation.

I pulled a fast one on everyone last year. I felt very selfish but I REALLY wanted to do some kayaking this summer.

Every year for my birthday, family members come out of the woodwork and I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say if everyone bought me a 20-50 buck *something* - in the end I got over $1000 in useless birthday knick knacks that are, and I feel bad to say it, but for lack of a better word, stupid.

Last year I said in no uncertain terms that all I wanted was this particular kayak (Native Watercraft Manta Ray 12.5 Sit-on-top for those interested) and nothing else. I spread the word and at the end, everyone put a few bucks forth to my girlfriend and she took me to pick it out one day.

I felt really selfish until I took it for a spin on sunday morning at 7am on the james river just as the sun crested the mountains.

EDIT to add I put about $200 towards it myself so I'm not THAT much of a selfish jerk :)

R_of_G
October 15th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I prefer gift cards to actual gifts. Amazon gift cards usually work well as a gift for me so I can then buy whatever books and/or music I am craving at that particular time.

I do have one friend who always manages to pick great books for me as gifts, but we've been friends for 10 years and I used to live with him so he knows my tastes pretty well at this point. Aside from him and my wife, gift cards are the best idea for other folks to get for me, unless someone wants to buy me a Telecaster which would be just fine. :D

just strum
October 15th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Most of the time I'd just prefer some Haribo gummy bears or a big bag of pistachio nuts or better yet take me to dinner.

Well, there goes that surprise.

I may not have everything I want, but I do have everything I need.

sumitomo
October 15th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I just want to go to this waterfall in SouthAmerica and lean back against it and it just holds you there and listen to the jungle noises.Is it Jan. yet,cause that's when I'm going for 2 mths.Sorry I have short timers disease.Sumi:D

stingx
October 15th, 2008, 04:40 PM
What I really want is to be locked up in an all female corrections facility with a fistful of pardons.

street music
October 15th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I don't really have much of a problem with people buying me gifts , my wife doesn't mess with it, my son usually asks what I want and that 's about it.
I can find a few friends that I consider to have what they need but I buy them something for hunting , or golf, because the ones in music have what they want.
I think , I'm just happy to have friends show up and chat and eat with us.
What I would want if someone was to buy for me:
A deer hunting trip to Canada or Texas.
A Fender Deville amp & and a American Deluxe Tele.
A week in the Caman Islands.
SOMEONE PAY OFF my credit cards. Please!

just strum
October 15th, 2008, 05:03 PM
What I really want is to be locked up in an all female corrections facility with a fistful of pardons.

Good luck with that.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/badgirlsMOS_468x289.jpg

Childbride
October 15th, 2008, 05:38 PM
A deer hunting trip to Canada or Texas.

you ever get the money together for tix, [during the white tail season] i have the place to hunt. free of charge. we just have to drive to gram's house. ;)

me...

i just want to visit every island in the caribbean. so many beaches, so little time. :D :D :D

sumitomo
October 15th, 2008, 05:40 PM

Yea I think you would be safer with that Bobbit chick.Sumi:D:thwap:

player
October 15th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Come on, you KNOW what I want...! :D
No doubt everyone with or without GAS even would also want a Suhr Fender
be a nice add fer sure

Katastrophe
October 15th, 2008, 06:35 PM

You haven't seen any female inmates lately. For the most part, EWWWWWWW.

Ya' might catch something you can't wash off.

Rocket
October 15th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Ya' might catch something you can't wash off.
...or amputate!

The_Shredinator21
October 15th, 2008, 07:32 PM
well, you can't go wrong with money because when you see something you like you can buy it if you dont know what to get at the time.

or if the person knows you well enough they could get you something of a joke or just a a value that that item represents.

pes_laul
October 15th, 2008, 08:02 PM
one of these

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_100048f6a0a3ca3f7.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=742)

Spudman
October 15th, 2008, 08:12 PM
one of these

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_100048f6a0a3ca3f7.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=742)

See, that would be one of those stupid waste of money gifts that I was talking about. I'd never use that...sober.:D

just strum
October 16th, 2008, 10:51 AM
See, that would be one of those stupid waste of money gifts that I was talking about. I'd never use that...sober.:D

Yep, the pink is over the top.

ShortBuSX
October 16th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Awe Strummy...youre slippin:thwap:
Must be the new avatar!

Well fortunately youre not sober often :poke:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d165/carlbanan/Groucho-Marx.jpg

street music
October 16th, 2008, 07:36 PM
HEY CB! Just saw that reply! I MAY JUST HAVE TO TAKE YOU UP ON THAT IF THIS ECONOMY GETS BACK ON IT's FEET. That would be extra nice, free music , friends and huntin with Gramps.

Childbride
October 16th, 2008, 08:12 PM
nah, gram would be back at the house. but i have free rein to take you onto the ranch and hunt want you want. as long as it's in season. can also fish there. deer, turkey, dove, wild hogs, you name it.

you get plane tix to waco, we drive down, hunt, play guitar in the front yard... we'd show you a good time.

sumitomo
October 16th, 2008, 08:13 PM
one of these

Hey you guys could haul that around in that van you guys were lookin at,kind of a spare,at least it has a cooler and not a catheter.Sumi:D