PDA

View Full Version : Cool Cat Vibe video demo

Robert
October 15th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Here is the Cool Cat Vibe. I am playing it with and without distortion (distortion before vibe). I am also comparing it to the Chicken Salad. Towards the end I put distortion after the vibe, which I think sounds way better.

The only drawbacks are increased volume when the pedal is engaged, and also it takes a second or two before the effect really kicks in, after engaging the pedal.

Overall, I am very impressed by this vibe. It sounds very good to me, and it is not expensive, it's true bypass, metal housing. A winner.

Tone2TheBone
October 15th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Beautiful videos as always. What kind of camera is that? What do you use for your video editing?

It may be different in person but I like the sound of the Chicken Salad over the Cool Cat Vibe but that's me. They are made the same right? With the same bulb and photocells as the CS? You asked me the other day (as I did to you one time) if I put the vibe before or after the distortion and I told you I put it before. Again my opinion here...I like the sound of it before. After distortion it sounds too "fake" and metallic and overly done. I think some people did some comparisons online (ya think ;) ) where they talked about where Jimi put his and half the people said before and half said after the Fuzz Face. One person stated that you could tell by the recordings. This person said that he put the vibe after the Fuzz on Live at the Filmore and if you listen to it you can tell. It's a different swirl. I like the swirl from Woodstock...but I digress. Anyway good video Robert.

Robert
October 15th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Thanks Tone. I use a Sony DCR-TRV 33. Old but works okay - good mic in it I think. I use Final Cut Express for editing.

duhvoodooman
October 15th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Both vibe pedals sound awfully good, especially for the prices. The Chicken Salad has a somewhat more synthetic sound to me, though I don't find that it colors the tone much, which I like. The Cool Cat is a little more natural sounding and a bit more "warbly", but I think it darkens/warms the tone some. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing! No clear winner here, to my ear.

As far as the distortion before or after debate goes--they sound very different, but I like 'em both. Just depends on the sound you're going for....

I use a Sony DCR-TRV 33. Old but works okay - good mic in it I think....
Now, there's an understatement! I think that mic captures audio with amazing quality, for a camera. I thought for sure you were recording the video and audio two different ways.

P.S. Great playing, as always. It floors me that you can just sit in front of a camera, noodle around, and have it sound that good, Robert. :thwap: :master:

Radioboy950
October 15th, 2008, 09:19 PM
That little bit of grit in front of the Chicken Salad (first part of the vid) sounds killer.
First time I've heard a good demo of either of those pedals.