PDA

View Full Version : i saw something beautiful today

Childbride
October 17th, 2008, 06:52 PM
90% of the time when i go out of county for court, i go west of waco. either out highway 84 or 6. into the hill country. rolling, beautiful hills, cedar scrub, baby farm animals, and wildlife.

three days in a row i went west this week.

for the last three months in a row, i've spotted a herd of deer living back and forth on two different ranches in a little town called south mountain, just east of gatesville.

this morning, i'm coming up on south mountain, and suddenly

a small group of them vault the fence like a living wave. beautiful. have you ever seen deer jump? they can jump fences like pole vaulters, and as a herd, the synchronicity is just breathtaking.

of course, now, as i see them up ahead on my right, i have to worry about them hitting the highway, and me...

but i get caught up in the dance, as three young does break off from the herd and try to decide whether to run the highway or go back from whence they came.

they circle and rise on their haunches like synchronized swimmers.

the whole thing took my breath away, and then they bounded back into the cedar scrub.

i'm sorry if i sound like the dude from american beauty who was filming the plastic bag, but it was just really soberingly beautiful.

i'll hush now. :)

do any of y'all get to see wildlife do cool things like that?

just strum
October 17th, 2008, 07:08 PM
CB, had my own nature view today. I'm heading home and out of the corner of my eye I see a large bird. As I glance up I'm accustom to seeing hawks or vultures, but flying low are two large Bald Eagles. What a sight and I've never seen two together before or flying as low as they were. We have about three nesting in the State Park behind my house, but I've spotted them flying solo and much higher.

I was doing 60 mph down this back road and wasn't able to stop since there's just runoff ditch on each side of the road.

Rocket
October 17th, 2008, 07:15 PM
When I lived up in MI we referred to them (deer) as forest-rats... they were everywhere and couldn't get away from them. They eat everything you plant and lurk, waiting to jump in front of your car.
Most everyone I know in MI has hit a deer with a car.

just strum
October 17th, 2008, 07:24 PM
When I lived up in MI we referred to them (deer) as forest-rats... they were everywhere and couldn't get away from them. They eat everything you plant and lurk, waiting to jump in front of your car.

My 17 year old daughter hit one last Tuesday night on the way home from work (around 9:00 PM) and she called home freaked out. She was lucky, hood a little bent and parking light busted out, plus a little fur in the broken light.

Her words when she got home. "I slowed down when one deer ran in front of the car, another one was on the side of the road just looking and then the f'ing thing just ran in front of the car" - - Ozzy's kid.

warren0728
October 17th, 2008, 07:42 PM
i'll hush now. :)

do any of y'all get to see wildlife do cool things like that?
don't you dare hush....i enjoy your posts!

as for wildlife doing cool things....there is a redtail hawk that lives somewhere near me....the kids and i were coming home one early evening and as we were driving down the road in our community the hawk swoops down over my car from behind us....glides in front of us and grabs a snake from the grass and then swoops almost straight up and lands in a tree.

it was really cool and the kids got a kick out of it....

ww

pes_laul
October 17th, 2008, 10:03 PM
yeah I know that feeling, deer will walk up to our garden and just help it self and gunshots wont even scare them away.

Rocket
October 18th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Pretty tasty though:

http://www.groovyvegetarian.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/hanging-deer-hunter.jpg

M29
October 18th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Um...backstraps any time now. Hopefully not with the car.

While out hunting a few years ago it ended at dark and when I came down from the tree stand, a bunch of coyotes started yelping and howling about 50 yards out. They made the hair on the back of my neck stand up with all the weird sounds they make. I suppose they won't mess with ya but shoot a dog will bite ya. Anyway I traveled rather briskly out of the woods that night.

Still haven't hit a deer here in MI pes_laul. Shoot...I did not say that really I did not say that...
I often thought how bad it would be to hit one with a motorcycle. Yikes:thwap:

just strum
October 18th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Deer season is upon us

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Down-arrow.gif

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/InvisibleBuck.jpg

warren0728
October 18th, 2008, 07:26 PM
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/InvisibleBuck.jpg
i'll say it again....nice rack.... :pancake: :beer:

ww

street music
October 19th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I have been hunting the last two mornings, got to sit in the stand and watch does both mornings but no buck as of yet. The weather has been nice but I think our fall colors have past the best and are now just falling leafs . It was very nice to have the many different birds sitting with me too.