PDA

View Full Version : We Miss You RVZ!

bigoldron
October 19th, 2008, 02:00 PM
It was 32 years ago tomorrow (October 20th) that we lost one of the greatest Southern Rockers of all time - Ronnie Van Zant, along with Steve and Cassie Gaines. Ronnie was the heart and soul of Lynyrd Skynyrd and wrote most of the material. He left a hole in the Southern Rock fans' hearts that has yet to be filled.

I know we're mostly devoted to guitar players and mourn the loss of such legends as Hendrix and SRV and even Rhodes, but Ronnie was such a strong part of Southern Rock that many of us mourn him too.

I'm glad to see that Skynyrd is still touring, and Johnny does a good job of sounding like his brother, but he's still not Ronnie Van Zant. The only 2 original members are Billy Powell and Gary Rossington and Ricky Medlock was part of Skynyrd in the early years for a while, but as a drummer, not a guitar player. So Skynyrd's still Skynyrd, but at the same time it's not. They like many other older groups/band/etc. are merely glorified cover bands that may have one or two original members. They know the songs and cover them well, but they don't have that original spark or inspiration to deliver new material.

But, I'm not complaining. If I went to see them or any of many other bands from my youth, I wouldn't necessarily want to hear new material. I'd want to hear the songs that made them famous.

Anyway, I'm taking this minute to recognize a true Southern Rock Legend. Ronnie Van Zant, I and many others miss you!

Fly on, Free Bird! :rockon:

warren0728
October 19th, 2008, 02:11 PM
truly a great loss....one of my favorite songs he wrote was "simple man"

9nmCUagw-98

ww

Spudman
October 19th, 2008, 02:29 PM
It was 32 years ago tomorrow (October 20th) that we lost one of the greatest Southern Rockers of all time - Ronnie Van Zant,

Probably one of the greatest lyricists and delivery men of all time. A divine talent for sure. It's sad that we didn't get to enjoy him for more years than we did.

bigoldron
October 19th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Probably one of the greatest lyricists and delivery men of all time. A divine talent for sure. It's sad that we didn't get to enjoy him for more years than we did.

Yep, you're right. As I mentioned in my earlier post, a lot of those famous groups from years ago pretty much have stopped writing new material or if they do, many times it's either not the same or it's ignored.

But, I kinda got a sneaking feeling that Ronnie would STILL be turning good stuff if he'd lived.

mrmudcat
October 19th, 2008, 11:02 PM
:master:

wingsdad
October 20th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I've said it before...my all-time favorite guitar band. :AOK: Skynyrd grabbed me from the moment they arrived with their 'guitar army' on their 1st US MCA Album of Rossington, Allen Collins and Ed King, replaced almost a year after he left the band by Steve Gaines. Skynyrd was unquestionably Ronnie's band. He was their leader and driving force with his songs.

With today the 30th anniversary of the day that Ronnie and Steve and his big sister Cassie were taken, this video of Ronnie's prophetic Freebird from July 4, 1977 in Oakland, CA, about a month after Gaines joined them and just a few days before their 3-day siege of Atlanta that yielded their landmark 'One More From The Road', shows a lot more than their prowess and energy, but the beauty of the grip they had on their following.

(side note: check out Rossington's 'nut extension' slipped under the strings ahead of the nut on the SG he used for slide...a screwdriver blade?)

So, hang in there for 10 minutes and ponder.

Here's Ronnie and his band:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mioGewkWVdo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mioGewkWVdo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Fly on, Freebird. :cry:

bigoldron
October 20th, 2008, 09:15 AM
With today the 30th anniversary of the day that Ronnie and Steve and his big sister Cassie were taken, this video of Ronnie's prophetic Freebird from July 4, 1977 in Oakland, CA, about a month after Gaines joined them and just a few days before their 3-day siege of Atlanta that yielded their landmark 'One More From The Road', shows a lot more than their prowess and energy, but the beauty of the grip they had on their following.

(side note: check out Rossington's 'nut extension' slipped under the strings ahead of the nut on the SG he used for slide...a screwdriver blade?)

Fly on, Freebird. :cry:

I totally agree Wings. Skynyrd was and still is the best of that genre. There'll never be another Ronnie Van Zant. Johnny is just a pretender to the throne and I think he knows and understands that. BTW, it's 32 years ago - not 30.

I think you're right about the screwdriver. From what I've read and heard about Skynyrd, they tuned down a 1/2 step a lot of the time, because Ronnie said it was easier for him to hit the high notes. Maybe that had something to do with Rossington's fret extension. Who knows...

Anyway, I'm playing Skynyrd all day today and, if I had one, I'd fly my Confederate flag at half-mast. Sad day for Southern Rock! :cry:

RVZ, you're the best!!! :master:

piebaldpython
October 20th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Hey BigOldRon.......hate to have to tell you this, but it's 31 years, not 32 as you said. I looked it up to make sure and this is what Wikipedia says:

Ronald Wayne "Ronnie" Van Zant (January 15 1948[1] – October 20 1977) was the lead vocalist, primary lyricist, and a founding member of the Southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd. He was the older brother of .38 Special founder and vocalist Donnie Van Zant and current Lynyrd Skynyrd lead vocalist Johnny Van Zant

I miss him too. What a great vocalist. :master:

bigoldron
October 20th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Hey BigOldRon.......hate to have to tell you this, but it's 31 years, not 32 as you said. I looked it up to make sure and this is what Wikipedia says:

Ronald Wayne "Ronnie" Van Zant (January 15 1948[1] – October 20 1977) was the lead vocalist, primary lyricist, and a founding member of the Southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd. He was the older brother of .38 Special founder and vocalist Donnie Van Zant and current Lynyrd Skynyrd lead vocalist Johnny Van Zant

I miss him too. What a great vocalist. :master:

Oops, guess my math's off. Sorry about that - especially to you Wings. I know it was '77, but I'm beyond fatigued right now. It's been way to busy lately. When I'm tired, my mind's a little fuzzy. There was the year when I was 33, I told everybody I was 32. (There's that number again...) My brother asked me how old I was and when I told him 32, he said I might better check my math. Oh well, did it again...

player
October 20th, 2008, 05:33 PM
it'll be 32 soon enough,it is right around the corner.
last time saw Lynyrd Skynyrd was in FL.Coral Sky,Mars(names changed all the time).it was the 20 concert.Johnny is good but Ronnie he ain't.was too close.did not hear a thing until the next day.
rawk on Ronnie wherever you are

wingsdad
October 20th, 2008, 09:00 PM
... BTW, it's 32 years ago - not 30.
Yeah, I was off...Street Survivors came out right around the crash, with that phot of them 'in flames' & that was '77. piebaldpython had it right.

I think you're right about the screwdriver. From what I've read and heard about Skynyrd, they tuned down a 1/2 step a lot of the time, because Ronnie said it was easier for him to hit the high notes. Maybe that had something to do with Rossington's fret extension. Who knows...
Yep, it did. I just read an article with interviews with Rossington in Guitar Legends Mag, Issue #106, Special on the Complete History of Southern Rock. Duane/Skydog and Rossington on the cover. Came out about a month or so ago. Rossington says he tuned down to as low as D, the screwdriver acted like a capo so he could play the same standard tuning or open E figures & as an action lift.

Anyway, I'm playing Skynyrd all day today ...
I'm pulling out Freebird:The Movie DVD tonite. That video I linked to closes the movie. 2nd Movie on the DVD is the 1987 (?) reunion Tribute Tour.
Freebird The Movie/Tribute Tour at Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Lynyrd-Skynyrd-Freebird-Movie-Tribute/dp/B00005R86G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1224557796&sr=1-1)
Head for Blockbuster & rent it. I found it at Circuit City a few years ago.

bigoldron
October 21st, 2008, 05:22 AM
Yep, it did. I just read an article with interviews with Rossington in Guitar Legends Mag, Issue #106, Special on the Complete History of Southern Rock. Duane/Skydog and Rossington on the cover. Came out about a month or so ago. Rossington says he tuned down to as low as D, the screwdriver acted like a capo so he could play the same standard tuning or open E figures & as an action lift.

I'm pulling out Freebird:The Movie DVD tonite. That video I linked to closes the movie. 2nd Movie on the DVD is the 1987 (?) reunion Tribute Tour.
Freebird The Movie/Tribute Tour at Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Lynyrd-Skynyrd-Freebird-Movie-Tribute/dp/B00005R86G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1224557796&sr=1-1)
Head for Blockbuster & rent it. I found it at Circuit City a few years ago.

I'm going to find a copy of the DVD. Where did you get the Guitar Legends magazine? Being a small town, there's no WaldenBooks or Books-A-Million or Borders for at least 35 miles, so I haven't seen anything on the racks. Is that the one that Guitar World puts out?

wingsdad
October 21st, 2008, 08:24 AM
I'm going to find a copy of the DVD. Where did you get the Guitar Legends magazine? Being a small town, there's no WaldenBooks or Books-A-Million or Borders for at least 35 miles, so I haven't seen anything on the racks. Is that the one that Guitar World puts out?
Yep, it's by Guitar World. I pick it up off the rack at the supermarket or Wal*Mart, as they carry GW and GP, too, when it features what interests me.

This particular issue has tabs of What's Your Name & Ramblin' Man, along with Green Grass & High Tides, Flirtin' With Disaster and Can't You See to go with the other articles on the Outlaws, Molly Hatchet and Marshall Tucker.

There's a '92 interview by Zakk Wylde with Rossington & Ed King...awesome insight into some Skynyrd writing secrets.

Another article on Blackfoot and an interview from '98 with Warren Haynes & Gov't Mule by Metallica's James Hetfield.