PDA

View Full Version : RP350 and the AD30VT

just strum
October 19th, 2008, 05:10 PM
This is a bit strange. I set up the software for the RP350 (X-Edit) and have the USB running between the laptop and the RP350.

When using the AD30VT, any sound created by the computer (the bell noise when closing a program) will come through the amp that is turned up loud. However, when connected to the Valve Jr, it doesn't happen.

What's in the amp that would cause that?

warren0728
October 19th, 2008, 05:19 PM
wow....that is strange....i don't recall hearing any system sounds when using x-edit and my rp250....although i'm using a mac....

does it do it at any volume on the vox?

i can try and replicate it here since i have both a ad30vt and a valve jr.

ww

just strum
October 19th, 2008, 06:05 PM
wow....that is strange....i don't recall hearing any system sounds when using x-edit and my rp250....although i'm using a mac....

does it do it at any volume on the vox?

i can try and replicate it here since i have both a ad30vt and a valve jr.

ww

Wait, there's more.

After I started the thread, I shut down the amp and the RP350. I wanted to listen to some music, but for what ever reason the RP350 knocks out the sound coming through my computer speakers. So I throw in a CD not thinking about that and I could hear the faint sound of music. It was coming from the back of my AD30VT, but even stranger, the AD30VT was off.

In walks Alfred Hitchcock to set up the next scene.

warren0728
October 19th, 2008, 06:12 PM
now that is strange....

ww

rev156
October 19th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I'm no computer geek, but when I use my RP350 into my PC there is a conflict with the software and it uses the RP as the sound card so the computer sounds come out the amp. I have the AD50VT and it does the same thing. HOWEVER there is a God and he created Macs. When I use my macbook there are no issues, it's plug and play and Daddy's a happy camper. All the more reason to abolish PC's. IMHO
Cheers,
Rev156

just strum
October 20th, 2008, 05:33 AM
I'm no computer geek, but when I use my RP350 into my PC there is a conflict with the software and it uses the RP as the sound card so the computer sounds come out the amp. I have the AD50VT and it does the same thing. HOWEVER there is a God and he created Macs. When I use my macbook there are no issues, it's plug and play and Daddy's a happy camper. All the more reason to abolish PC's. IMHO
Cheers,
Rev156

Thank you for the MAC endorsement, it's such a rare occurrence around here.:poke:

Why does it do it to the AD30VT and not the Valve Jr.?

Duff
November 27th, 2008, 05:03 AM
The Ad30vt is a super sophisticated amp. The V Jr is a simple design. The Vox probably uses several types of current and has some really sensitive components in it. Plus it is probably highly computerized itself. Something in the Vox is probably picking up the digital signal from the computer and you hear it bleeding thru the speaker at very low volume. Plus, my RP350 runs the signal both ways so you can hear the amp play back the recording instead of the computer's speakers, this is selectable in the program. It uses the RP350 as the soundcard or something. Therefore, when you have your usb from the RP 350 connected to the computer and obviously a cable connected from the guitar to the amp, you could be getting the audio signal coming back thru the RP350 which is powered up, and going thru the guitar cable back to the amp and that signal is bleeding back to the speaker in that direction, even though the amp is turned off. Some circuit in the amp is probably working something like a speaker wire on a stereo and the signal is going from the RP 350 thru the guitar and into the input for the guitar and once inside the amp there are all kinds of sophisticated things present inside that amp. Something is probably conducting the signal from the RP350, working as the soundcard because it's hooked up to the computer's usb jack, back to the speaker at a very low bleed thru level.

If you disconnect the usb cable from the computer I'm sure that you will not get any of the computer audio coming thru the amp, most probably.

Those Vox chromies are really sophisticated amps.

Duffy

I could be really incorrect on this, but I know my PA system plays back my recordings instead of my computer and I have my RP 350 plugged into the instrument input on my PA. Except my PA plays it back sounding great just like it is supposed to. The signal is flowing on playback, back to the RP 350 thru the usb cable and out to the PA thru the instrument cable that I use to monitor what I'm recording in real time thru the Pa while I play the guitar and record. The signal goes both ways thru the RP 350. There is a software setting that you an choose for designating the RP 350 as the soundcard for recording and playback.

I was really impressed to hear it play back thru the PA even though I didn't have a separate circuit going into the PA for playback, just the guitar out to the mixing board so I could hear myself thru the PA while recording instead of thru headphones or the computers speakers. It sounded great both during the monitoring during recording and on playback going thru the PA. The RP 350 and its software is designed to work that way. Actually really cool thing.

Why yours still does it with the amp powered off is mysterious but probably the signal is passively flowing thru the amp back to the speaker. When the amp is turned on does it play the recorded playback nice and loud?

You can get it to by assigning the RP 350 as the playback device.