PDA

View Full Version : Played 2 Suhrs, Glasstone amps, Genz Benz El Diablo, etc

Robert
October 19th, 2008, 08:00 PM
This time none of the guitars I tried really made that drool start a drippin'. Well, the Suhrs, kinda did. :D However, this time I played a butterscotch Suhr tele. Wow, it was drool time - tone, feel, looks - it was very very articulate and the sound was so much better than all the other teles I played there. The Suhr strat was very nice too, but it actually had some buzzing problems. Could be because of that birds eye maple made the neck need some adjustments. The sales guy said nobody has really played it for a long time and it hasn't been adjusted in a year.

I tried some G&L guitars - Legacy, Comance, ASAT Classic. Only the Legacy was fun to play, but it sounded pretty crappy compared to the Suhr. Decent neck though - but completely unfinished wood.

I played a couple of Blade guitars, and they were quite nice. Well made and nice to play.

Ever heard of Cole Clark guitars? Me neither. I played one, but the neck just wasn't for me.

The amps I tried were good. 65 amps - always nice big tone, but I want a bit more gain, so I tried a El Diablo Genz Benz next. Very versatile amp, and many cool sounds. I wasn't quite getting any drool happening, and it could be because I didn't play it loud enough.

I found a Marshall DSL 401 in there and of course I had to try it. Yeah baby! :dude: It sounded awesome! Very nice tones with the Suhr. Plenty of gain, but worked great for bluesy overdrive stuff too. Man, this would make for a fantastic combo.

I tried a Blackhearts 5 watt amp too, and it impressed considering the price. Crank that sucker and you get a fat juicy tone. Nice bottom end too.

The last amp I tried was a Glasstone Legend 3015. Wow, that is a great amp! It's built locally in Edmonton. I got some serious tone with the Suhr when I cranked up that 30 watt head. It's a dual channel, all-tube guitar amp head. Both channels are fully independent (including preamp tubes) and include gain and volume controls, as well as 3-band passive tone controls. The power amplifier is a non-feedback design using a pair of EL34s configured in a push-pull class AB circuit, with power output switchable between 30 and 15 watts. A series tube-driven effects loop allows you to patch-in effects between the preamp and power amp. The Glasstone 4x12 with V-30s sounded sweet, my friends.
See http://www.glasstoneamps.com

Ahh, Gas - what a feeling! :rockon:

I am not sure what I will do next. I guess I will go where GAS takes me.

marnold
October 19th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Sounds like a blast. I'd consider taking a deep breath. Sounds like it might be that individual Suhr that was up your street instead of Suhrs in general. Something to think about, especially if you plan on custom ordering one.

I know I was majorly lusting after a couple of the Lynch model guitars I saw at the clinic. I cannot even guess how much that guy has locked up in Lynch guitars alone.

Robert
October 20th, 2008, 07:18 AM
The only way to get the exact Suhr you want is to special order it. That would be cool. It would of course take a while to get it. Still not decided though.

Spudman
October 20th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I tried a Blackhearts 5 watt amp too, and it impressed considering the price. Crank that sucker and you get a fat juicy tone. Nice bottom end too.

That's what I'm talkin bout. Great little amph. I play mine all the time at home. It's my 'go to' amph in the house.