PDA

View Full Version : Marshall DSL401

Robert
October 20th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I recently played this tube amp combo, the DSL401 (www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=DSL401). Oh, my, me likey! :master:

If you want a tube amp combo that can do a lot of different sounds, this is it. I didn't spend that much time with it, but I really liked the tones, even the clean tones were good.

The one I saw at the store sold for $999 - I think it was used. Tempting... but I want a head, not a combo.

Anyone else liking these amps?

Algonquin
October 20th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I've only seen the amp in this Gents YouTube posts... sounds pretty good!
FgWeOc4kyFc

I saw a used DSL 401 in my local Kijiji ads going for about $650 this morning as well.

SuperSwede
October 20th, 2008, 09:28 AM
The DSL´s are nothing but brilliant! Same old goodness that you expect from a proper Marshall.

Robert
October 20th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Yeah, awesome amps. $650 for that amp - that is a very good buy my friend!

SuperSwede
October 20th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I´ve had my eye on a DSL Marshall for quite some time.. unfortunately the family funds tend to go to other stuff that guitar related purchases.

marnold
October 20th, 2008, 09:41 AM
OK, I'll bite. What's the difference between the DSL Marshalls and any other line? Yes, I'm too lazy to Google.

Robert
October 20th, 2008, 09:53 AM
The DSL has 2 channels.

* Each channel has independent controls for Gain, Volume, and Reverb.
* The two channels share common controls for Bass, Middle, Treble, and Presence.
* The Tone Shift button cuts the highs while boosting the lows and highs.
* The Deep Switch -- unique to Marshall -- uses resonance to produce a tight low end rumble in direct proportion to the size of the speaker cabinet.
* Both channels have a choice of two push button modes
* 'Clean' or 'Crunch' on the Classic Gain channel:

>>> Results in superb clean sounds with plenty of percussion and excellent articulation
>>> Or go for crunch reminiscent of the early Super Lead Plexis but with the extra drive of a JCM900 style Master Volume.

* 'Lead 1' or 'Lead 2' on the Ultra Gain channel:

>>> The 'Lead 1' mode will remind you a hotrodded JCM800 model 2203. Turn the guitar down and it cleans up nicely.
>>> The 'Lead 2' mode has more controllable gain than any previous Marshall -- up to 14 times the Gain levels available from JCM800 models!

* The spring reverb (foot switchable) works on both channels.
* Rear panel accepts the PEDL-00001 foot switch for channel selection.
* Second foot switch jack on rear panel for reverb on/off.
* Effects loop with level selection switch.
* When effects loop is not in use, the signal path is 100% pure valve.
* 16 ohm speaker jack plus pair of parallel jacks (4/8 ohm).

The JVM has 4 independent channels, each with three modes.
The TSL has 3 channels.

marnold
October 20th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Cool! So, when are you buying one? :)

Robert
October 20th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Probably soon! I am going the used route though, so I'm waiting for one to show up closer to home.

I am also looking to buy the DSL100 head, not the combo. I don't want a combo, since I want to use my Avatar 2x12 cabinet.

Algonquin
October 20th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I'm waiting for one to show up closer to home.
Good plan... the link I flipped was only for used $$$ comparison, I didn't see too many others for sale.

SuperSwede
October 21st, 2008, 04:55 AM
Just taste the word "Dual Super Lead" :)

Works for me... :munch:

Ch0jin
October 22nd, 2008, 04:43 PM
Nice amp to be sure, but I chuckled to myself reading this..

"* The Deep Switch -- unique to Marshall -- uses resonance to produce a tight low end rumble in direct proportion to the size of the speaker cabinet"

My 15 year old Peavey has that....