PDA

View Full Version : Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Robert
October 20th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Maybe I should get one of these instead of a Suhr and save some money...:bravo:

So, who's got one and what can you tell me about it? Are you loving it?

How are the pickups and tremolo - does it stay in tune if you use the whammy bar?

Am I better off buying an Am Fender Strat?

Edit after Spud's comment:
I know there are other threads here about these guitars, but I am starting a new thread regarding the Classic Vibe Stratocaster only - most talk has been about the Tele.

Spudman
October 20th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Come on noob. We've been talking about these for weeks. Use the search function and find the thread.:poke: :D

Um, this certainly won't take the place of a Suhr. The 50s Classic Vibe I have is extremely well put together and gorgeous too. Plays great but I've only played it with 9s so far. It certainly is a real guitar but the level of detail that you are after from a Suhr wont be found in this series. They are good but not that good. Keep saving.:)

ZMAN
October 20th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Robert: I have the 50s CV and and the Deluxe Player Strat. You are well versed in the Deluxe and you will find the quality fit and finish is better in some respects than the DPS. The neck is what makes this guitar it is truely a vintage feel and the guitar is quite light. The pickups are very nice and I like the tone from them compared to the Vintage Noiseless and the SCNs.
The guitar on the whole is very quiet unlike other Squiers I have. The tremelo block is the only thing that is not vintage Fender and is the same one they are using in all of the lower end Squiers. That is an easy fix because GFS makes a complete repalcement tremelo including the block, arm and saddles and a complete set of springs and screws. I think is is under 50 bucks shipped. Dauntless would know more about that.
I have 9 Strats (not up to Spudmans count yet) but I do have a good cross section from Squiers to American Deluxe and I would reach for this one before a lot of others it just feels good.
Not a trem user but the guitar does stay in tune very well with the trem screwed right down and an extra spring. I like them almost hardtails.
I hope this helps and for the money this is a must have for sure.
I have heard a lot of guys comparing them to the JV Squiers made in Japan.
Get one!

Spudman
October 20th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I have heard a lot of guys comparing them to the JV Squiers made in Japan.
Get one!

I think that is a fair comparison but my neck is prettier than any JV I've seen. The build on the CV is tight and all the shielding in the cavity with the extra ground wire show more attention to quality than the JVs in my opinion.

Katastrophe
October 20th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I don't own one of the CV Strats, but I've had the opportunity to play both the Strat and Tele and I have to say that I like the CVs better than my MIM in terms of fit, finish, playability and tone.

For the money, they are awesome guitars!

Do they compare with the Suhr? Nope, and here's why. The Suhr is a no compromise, professional level instrument, and for the price should have the ultimate in hand craftsmanship and attention to detail. No part should be less than top quality. Squiers just don't have that small batch attention to detail. For the Squier, that's not necessarily a bad thing, as they can create a guitar of decent quality at a fair price.

Suhrs are priced at a premium for a reason, my friend. Over the years, I've seen you refine and distill your choices in guitar toward a more quality instrument, in search of one that fits you, not one that you have to compromise your playing for.

It seems to me that the Suhr is, in the words of Plank Spanker, "setting your hair on fire." Would you ultimately be happy, over time, with anything less?

Just from what I've observed here on the forum, I don't think so!

Save up, work an extra job or sell your other stuff, but go ahead and get the Suhr and a Marshall, and be happy! Your playing is certainly at the level where you can make that gear sing, and you deserve it, man.

Robert
October 20th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Yah guys, thanks for the comments. I am very aware of the Suhrs and the quality! As I said in other discussions, I have never played any Fender Strats on par with a Suhr. I sure don't expect a Squier to be! :eek:

I was just thinking of my options, that's all. I could buy a more expensive amp and a cheap Strat, or I could buy no amp and an expensive guitar, or I could... well there are many options to insert here... :)

SuperSwede
October 21st, 2008, 04:53 AM
I was just thinking of my options, that's all. I could buy a more expensive amp and a cheap Strat, or I could buy no amp and an expensive guitar, or I could... well there are many options to insert here... :)

So what does your wife say about your current plans of buying a really really expensive guitar? :D

Dauntless
October 21st, 2008, 06:17 AM
You all know, I'm a big fan and proponent of the Squier Classic Vibe series and I believe that they can hold their own as far as build quality and sound!
-You'll notice I didn't put in "for the money"-
I guess my point here is , as has been said before, If you have your heart set on a Suhr, then you probably ought to go ahead and get it.
You won't be satisfied until you do and anything else you do get, will just be a placebo, that will wear off and you'll soon have that ach again.
__________________________________________________ _____________
<fade to public service spot>
That's right folks! It is a terrible disease that can afflict us all.
please send all donations to 1-800-I GOT GAS
And you too, can help alleviate the pain brought on by GAS
<fade to Robert fondling a SUHR, with a faraway look in his eye, and a tear streaming down his cheek>

Robert
October 21st, 2008, 07:27 AM
Well, you can never have enough guitars, as our in-house guitar collector Spudman well knows... the one who has the most guitars when we die wins - didn't you guys know this?!

So what does your wife say about your current plans of buying a really really expensive guitar? :D

What makes you think she has any sort of knowledge about such a purchase? :D

I guess I will find out eventually what she thinks though..

“If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.”

Tone2TheBone
October 21st, 2008, 08:18 AM
Well, you can never have enough guitars, as our in-house guitar collector Spudman well knows... the one who has the most guitars when we die wins - didn't you guys know this?!

What makes you think she has any sort of knowledge about such a purchase? :D

I guess I will find out eventually what she thinks though..

“If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.”

Just tell her about it...who knows maybe she'll even tell you to charge it.

SuperSwede
October 21st, 2008, 09:11 AM
CunBQ1FcpUs

Algonquin
November 14th, 2008, 10:21 PM
I finally got a chance to play one of these tonight in a local music shop. I played the 60's version which is very similar in appearance to my '62 JV Strat (Japanese Vintage, not Jimmie Vaughn). First impressions where that the guitar was a nice looking Strat. I had just ear tuned it and played a few notes on it when a Gent asked me what I thought of it it. We had a good 10 minute conversation, he was in earlier with his son and was looking to by him a guitar for him upcoming birthday. We spoke briefly over the differences between the 50's and 60's version and such. His son liked the burst and rosewood neck on the 60's model . I told him I hadn't played the model yet, but liked what I saw, and liked what I'd read about them. The Trem was set on the body, not floating and it didn't have the bar attached, so no testing there. He asked if I thought I should consider the current guitar/amp packages, and told him I thought that this was a much better guitar to purchase. I won't say if he walked out of the store with a spanking brand new 60's Vibe Strat in case his son reads the Fret.net, but he better be good... because the store has a 30 day money back guarantee!

I still haven't seen the Tele :cry:

Tone2TheBone
November 15th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Gonq you would cry if you held and played the Tele.

Duff
November 19th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Very wise guitarists say to go to as many stores as possible and play as many guitars as you can and you will eventually find "the one"; when you do you will KNOW it, no question, no doubt about it. I played eight Fender strats and finally found that the "Lonestar" was by far my favorite in tone and feel and everything. Didn't get it though. They didn't want to give me near the value of my trade. Maybe someday.

Many many factors go into any guitar and all are different. You might be surprised at what you finally settle on. When you find "the one" you will be sure. My Ibanez AS73 was one of those "ones". My Schecter Stiletto 5 Elite was another "one". My Marshall bass practice amp MB30 was another "one". I'm getting better at it and could name some more.

You will KNOW it when it comes around. You might already know it with the Shur. It is kind of an art that gets refined with time; trial and error.

Duffy

baddog144
December 1st, 2008, 01:49 AM
I just got a CV Strat 60s, and I'm loving it. It plays well, it sounds awesome, looks awesome, just plain IS awesome. One question: I presume it's perfectly acceptable to remove the plastic over the pickups, + the sticker on the guitar? This is my first electric, so... y'know :)

Katastrophe
December 1st, 2008, 04:48 AM
You presume correctly, baddog. The stickers and plastic coverings should go bye-bye. Congrats on your first electric!

Duff
December 1st, 2008, 06:07 AM
Nice first guitar Bad dog. That is actually an awesome first guitar. Now make sure you get an awesome amp if you don't already have a nice Fender Super Champ XD, or some other nice amp.

There are a lot of great amps out there for 100 or less including the Crate Flexwave 15R with a 12 inch speaker and the Behringer GM110 30 watt amp avail. for 98 dollars from audioallies.com, no affilliation. This is somewhat of an anomally, out of ordinary piece, from Behringer which has been known to produce some substandard equip in some cases. I think they are trying to prove themselves.

The GM110 has 30 watts, analog amp and cabinet and drive modelling, which is thought of a better sounding by some experts than digital modelling and effects.

I have a GM110 and it is Loud enough to overcome a loud drummer that knows how to restrain a little, but we are still talking about a loud drummer. I think it is a fabulous inexpensive amp and would compliment the Squire CV if you are on a budget but want enough power to be able to play with others some day.

What amp do you have now?

That, again, is an awesome guitar, I wish I had one but I just bought a Crate V50 tube amp and will have to strategize my next project.

I can't wait for my new Crate V50 to show up! I'm totally gassified. Kind of picked me, like equipment has been doing to me lately, rather than me picking it. The price was discounted on a brand new unit and I decided that it is the best route to go, even though I have been gassing for a Squire '70s soft maple natural stained, Vintage Modified Jazz Bass with a maple fretboard and black block markers. But I have three nice basses already and two nice bass amps.

I have been wanting a Crate V50 for a long time and am glad that it's on its way to a good home.

That guitar will be a great thing to hold your attention as you progress in the world of guitar, hopefully. Stick with it and one day you will be really good. No need to upgrade to a better strat but you might want, like a lot of us, to engage in the hobby of gassing for innumerable guitars that make nice additions to our hoards, er . . . . I mean "collections".

Have FUN!

Duffy

Duffy

Dauntless
December 1st, 2008, 06:36 AM
I just got a CV Strat 60s, and I'm loving it. It plays well, it sounds awesome, looks awesome, just plain IS awesome. One question: I presume it's perfectly acceptable to remove the plastic over the pickups, + the sticker on the guitar? This is my first electric, so... y'know :)

That sticker on the pick guard is actually on a plastic sheet that covers the whole guard.
Start at the edges, unless you intend to leave it on.
You'll figure it out!

Duff
December 1st, 2008, 06:48 AM
Bet that guitar is a beauty.

Are you taking lessons?

They are a way to learn 100 or more times faster and better. Around here they cost 10 dollars for a half hour lesson.

I'm in Winfield, Pa., central part of the state; heavy with Amish. Looks like "Wagon Train" on Saturdays.

Where are you from?

Which amp do you have?

Duffy

Spudman
December 1st, 2008, 08:23 AM
One question: I presume it's perfectly acceptable to remove the plastic over the pickups, + the sticker on the guitar? This is my first electric, so... y'know :)

Just make sure you plan on keeping it before you do. It makes it easier to return if the plastic is still on.;)

ShortBuSX
December 1st, 2008, 02:06 PM
One question: I presume it's perfectly acceptable to remove the plastic over the pickups, + the sticker on the guitar? This is my first electric, so... y'know :)

I reckon it depends on if it was shipped to you, or if you actually picked this one out(like at a store).
I sent back 2 and finally gave up and purchased one at a store, which coincidentally went back when I found a HWY1(w/case) on Craigslsit for bout another $100 more.
At first look, at the first 2, they were totally acceptable...but upon extended play and handling, the problems became obvious.
Id suggest giving it 3 days before removing any of that...just to be certain.

baddog144
December 1st, 2008, 02:14 PM
Ok, thanks very much. :)
No problems so far though :D

Spudman
December 1st, 2008, 05:03 PM
Ok, thanks very much. :)
No problems so far though :D

Mine is certainly a keeper too.

ZMAN
December 12th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Hey Spudman: When you had a dead pickup in your 50s was it labelled
STA3? Apparently some have shown up with Alnico 3s in a 60, and Alnico 5s in a 50s model.
When they first came out I checked the parts list on the Squier website and they both had the same part number on the pickups listed. I sent an email to Fender and I couldn't believe the response I got. They said "they share the same part number but the 60s are Alnico 5s" They have since updated the web site. When I heard about the mix up with the pickups on some guitars I got to wondering how many out there were not actuallly what they are supposed to be.

Spudman
December 12th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Interesting. I never noticed. Oh well. They work for me.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Guitars/Classic50s008.jpg

ZMAN
December 12th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Thanks Spud. I am doing an informal poll on them. I am sure most haven't been under the hood but It would be nice to get a report on any that are wrong.
Of course we are assuming that the STA5 stands or a Alnico 5 magnet.

Spudman
December 12th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Ya, I'm thinking that STA5 is alnico 5 too. Then I wonder why the literature says that the 50s Strat that I have comes with alnico 3s? It looks either like a screw up or an intentional fraud. I'll call their Consumer Relations on Monday and find out what's up.

Guitar-Chris
December 13th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Thanks Spud. I am doing an informal poll on them. I am sure most haven't been under the hood but It would be nice to get a report on any that are wrong.
Too bad I've changed my strings a few days ago. But I will have a look at the next string change.

Guitar-Chris
December 13th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Hello!

I had to satisfy my curiosity so I took a look under my pickguard of my CV 50's: All pickups look identically to the ones on the picture by Spudmann: STA5 (N/M/B).

ZMAN
December 13th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I would agree with Spudman. That it isn't a bad thing if they were Alnico 5s I would prefer them anyway. There is so little noise from them compared to my Squier Standards with the A5s I am very happy with them. I think it all stems from the original part numbers being the same on the Squier website when they first came out. I am thinking that they somehow got it backwards to what they are claiming on their product descriptions. I don't know enough about pickups to know how you would test a magnet to see if it is an A3 or A5?

Guitar-Chris
December 13th, 2008, 08:57 AM
For me, it isn't a problem, even if they were Alnico 5. They sound very bright and the bass is not "muddy" but very tight. So, the sound, that they produce is exactly the sound I like to hear. Nothing else matters.

ZMAN
December 13th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Yes I just talked to another guy who has actualy changed them out and his also say STA5. Oh well like you I like them as well. Dan always changes pickups no matter what they are so that is just his thing.

Spudman
December 15th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Scott at Fender just told me that the "STA5" is only a product code and they are indeed alnico 3 pickups in spite of the '5' being in the product code.

Guitar-Chris
December 15th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Scott at Fender just told me that the "STA5" is only a product code and they are indeed alnico 3 pickups in spite of the '5' being in the product code.

Thanks for giving us some light in the dark. :)

Duff
December 16th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Not to be overly negative, but the excuse that the STA5, presumably stamped on the back of the 50s and 60s CV strats, stands for a simple product code but the pickups on the 50s are actually AlNiCo 3s , sounds slightly "fishy".

On face value the A5 part suggests alnico 5, which is not a bad thing, but further investigating of the back of the 60s CV strat should proove to be revealing. If it is the same as the 50s the mystery is still not conclusively closed and would suggest that the pups are the same, 5's; if it is STA3 then the inference would be stronger than chance that the pups are alnico 3's and they got it backwards.

At China based mfg facilities, communication has been, obviously, somewhat of an impediment.

You might be correct and your research into this matter may be sufficient, but my thinking is that the mystery remains and that talking to a Squire tech would be definitely more productive. Parts mysteries seem to be commonly accepted at Fender/Squire customer service.

When I tried to find out more about those excellent pups on my '08 Squire Standard Strat, "Cherry Burst", I got the answer that they are just generic alnico pups, suppossedly Alnico 3's.

They sound as good as the duncan designed ones in the Squire Deluxe, but different, more clear and cutting.

Those duncan desiged P90 reverse wound pups on my black Squire Custom II tele definitely sound above average when compaed to generic SX P90's; leading me to believe that I should get some good P90's for my all mahogany SX set neck GG1, Gibson single cut LP Special copy with mahogany neck, that does not have the reverse wound pup. Great sustain and chime though.

BUT, all these single coils sound quieter thru my Crate V50 than on my Delta Blues or HRDx, mysteriously.

That V50, as far as my limitted expertise is concerned, is an awesome sounding amp. I'm using it extensively lately and working it relatively hard, not thrashing, but having it turned on quite frequently and fired up. I play it several hours a day. Hope this letting it get good and hot approach isn't a bad idea.

Peace,

Duffy

Maybe some pictures today! Fresh batteries are in the digital camera. No sun however, raining, possible snow type atmosphere.

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo120/Duff-B/P1010063.jpg

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo120/Duff-B/P1010067.jpg

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo120/Duff-B/P1010068.jpg

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo120/Duff-B/P1010065.jpg

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo120/Duff-B/P1010066.jpg

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo120/Duff-B/P1010064.jpg

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo120/Duff-B/P1010057.jpg

Right now I'm going to try out my Schecter walnut stained omen 6 strat body style with the two chrome plated humbuckers I took out of my Epi LP std plus top. Gonna' play it right now thru the V50 straight up and turn it up a good ways. This will be fun and say something about how it sounds cranked up. I like that Omen 6. It was my first half way decent guitar in my life.

I always had a super junker acoustic guitar but nice drums until I retired and decided to get serious about guitar and get a decent electric and a decent practice amp. That first practice amp was my VOX Pathfinder 15R, followed by a drummer silencer: a Rogue 120 watt with two Eminence twelve inch speakers. There will be no, "get a real amp" with that Rogue. The clean channel is fairly decent as well and I'm keeping it in my studio area for anybody to thrash on, etc. Things I don't want happening with my nicer amps.

I do like a two twelve combo though and that's my only one. I wonder if a pro tech could improve that drive channel on that Rogue solid state amp? Pedals do a great job thru the clean side.

I'll post the LOUD comment in the V series thread in a few minutes.

Duffy

ZMAN
December 16th, 2008, 08:26 AM
On another forum we have someone who is measuring them so maybe we can get a difinitive answer. I agree with Duffy. I tried a comparo with the Alnico 5s in my QMT and Cherryburst Standards. compared to the CV and the Deluxe and man those A5s in the Standards are really nice. IN fact I am thinking that I was more excited by the look of the CV and the Deluxe, than the tone. Also the QMT is probably one of the best set up guitars I own.
I will do another comparison today.
Oh well back to the drawing board. I guess as with all things when there are too many variables things get crazy. I sat and tweaked my set up again with the new Marshall, and all three of the Strats and the CV did come out on top again. I have had to tweak a lot lately because everything was set for my super clean Fender amps. I guess it is great to have the choices!