PDA

View Full Version : Removing finish scratches

Spudman
October 20th, 2008, 10:48 AM
I have this Pro Tone Strat that has scratches in the clear finish near the upper bout. Anyone know a good way to remove them?

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Guitars/ProTone.jpg

Rocket
October 20th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Dry ashes.

Spudman
October 20th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Dry ashes.
How?

Rocket
October 20th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Find ashes from cigarette, incense, etc. (they're very mildly abrasive). Put your finger into a soft cloth like old t-shirt etc., dip into ashes and rub scratches, replacing ashes often.
Also great for making pickguards look like new.

ShortBuSX
October 20th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Id find a plastic cleaner like Mequier's PlastX...urethane scratches so easily, yet is so hard to fix...Id treat it like clear plastic.

stingx
October 20th, 2008, 01:25 PM
ScratchX (http://meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G10307) :pancake:

Spudman
October 20th, 2008, 03:00 PM
ScratchX (http://meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G10307) :pancake:

I just talked to Meguires tech support. The guy I talked to is a guitarist and he uses Scratchx on his guitars with good results. He says it's safe for polyurethane finishes.

ShortBuSX
October 20th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I just talked to Meguires tech support. The guy I talked to is a guitarist and he uses Scratchx on his guitars with good results. He says it's safe for polyurethane finishes.

And he said nothing about PlastX???

Spudman
October 20th, 2008, 04:40 PM
And he said nothing about PlastX???

Nope. Have you used it on a clear finish guitar?

KrisH
October 20th, 2008, 04:47 PM
ScratchX used here, too. It takes care of all but the deepest scratches. Like when I got super glue on the top of my dreadnought and had to use steel wool to get it off, the ScratchX made the area virtually undetectable. And I've used it to buff up a high polish (from a semi-gloss finish) on my double bass -- used a whole tube of the stuff and an electric Turtle Wax buffing applicator for most of the job. :D

stingx
October 20th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I've been using it for years. I even trusted it on my '71 Stingray. I wouldn't recommend something I wouldn't use. It's an amazing product that yields the best results.

just strum
October 20th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I never heard of ScratchX, but if stingx uses it on his Stingray, then it must be safe (everyone knows how anal Stingray owners can be:D ).

The ashes also so works. Rocket told me about that over at the Washburn forum and I've used it a couple of times, but not on my Stingray that I don't have.

ShortBuSX
October 21st, 2008, 08:52 AM
Nope. Have you used it on a clear finish guitar?

I actually have both products, although Ive never used either on my guitars...but I have used car waxes on guitars before, my black Ibanez still has the micro-marring to prove it. And ScratchX is more of a compound than a wax so Id be more fearful to use it...whereas PlastX is used for clear plastics like your cars headlight capsules, Ive used this countless times and it doesnt leave micro-marring like a compound or wax, works great even on CDs.

But hey, everybody says use ScratchX *shrug*

Spudman
October 21st, 2008, 09:14 AM
I guess if you used ScratchX and it left marks you could finish up with PlastX.

ted s
October 21st, 2008, 10:01 AM
Your guitar is junk, send it to me for disposal.

sunvalleylaw
October 21st, 2008, 11:12 AM
It currently is in my possession. Mwah Hah Hah Hah! It does seem nice to me. The ash body is beautiful, and the neck seems really nice too. I will let Spud tell us more once he has it. Oh, and I also currently have his Hughes and Kettner. Mwah Hah Hah Hah!!!

ted s
October 21st, 2008, 11:24 AM
ok, fine, Spud's amp is junk too, you can send that to the same address for disposal birthday boy.

Spudman
October 21st, 2008, 01:01 PM
Yes, why don't you just give all my stuff away? I've got plenty. Just make sure you try it out first.:thwap:

Algonquin
October 21st, 2008, 01:05 PM
Your guitar is junk, send it to me for disposal.
Ted, that's terrible! Where would you ever come up with something like that ;)

sunvalleylaw
October 21st, 2008, 01:30 PM
I'm not giving anything away, brothers. We have recycling available right here if necessary. ;)

Spudman
October 21st, 2008, 02:00 PM
I'm not giving anything away, brothers. We have recycling available right here if necessary. ;)
Before you have it recycled could you try getting the scratches out of it?:D

Pics? Where are the pics?

Algonquin
October 21st, 2008, 02:04 PM
Before you have it recycled could you try getting the scratches out of it?:D

Scratches?... We don't need no Stinkin Scratches!

The_Shredinator21
October 21st, 2008, 02:15 PM
So where do you find this ScratchX?

Spudman
October 21st, 2008, 03:27 PM
So where do you find this ScratchX?

I'm guessing automoive parts stores, Auto Zone, Checker etc. You can certainly get it online.

tjcurtin1
October 21st, 2008, 05:45 PM
I've heard that toothpaste works - anyone tried it?

Algonquin
October 21st, 2008, 05:57 PM
I've heard that toothpaste works - anyone tried it?
Toothpaste you say?...
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/7110/teeth08xo.jpg
Never tried it!

tjcurtin1
October 21st, 2008, 06:21 PM
Ha!!:rotflmao: Man, ya gotta be careful what you say and how you say it around here...!

stingx
October 21st, 2008, 07:27 PM
If you want to make your guitar absolutely stunning all you need is lighter fluid, lemon pledge, and ScratchX.

tjcurtin1
October 21st, 2008, 09:27 PM
If you want to make your guitar absolutely stunning all you need is lighter fluid, lemon pledge, and ScratchX.

Rub it down and light it up - stunning!

Spudman
October 21st, 2008, 09:35 PM

Ya, you'd better explain that.:confused:

ShortBuSX
October 21st, 2008, 09:53 PM
Those are all THE miracle do it yourself at home remedy car care products for "deep shine"...mostly debatable urban wives tales.(no offense) Ive just read waaay to many car care forums. Each one of them has a reason why they work, but even more reasons not to use them.(aside from the ScratchX)

stingx
October 22nd, 2008, 07:06 AM
Lighter fluid deep cleans the fretboard. Lemon Pledge makes it shine. ScratchX performs the facelifts.

Andy
October 22nd, 2008, 07:57 AM
I just leave em scratchy for the most part, but you can't go wrong mequires products.

Spudman
October 22nd, 2008, 08:08 AM
Lighter fluid deep cleans the fretboard. Lemon Pledge makes it shine. ScratchX performs the facelifts.

I use Pledge all the time but I had no idea about lighter fluid. It's for the naptha right? Supposedly it is a good cleaner?

ShortBuSX
October 22nd, 2008, 09:28 AM

My bad...same products, different uses:thwap:

Spudman
October 27th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I've been using ScratchX on a sunburst ash body with great results. It doesn't get the deep ones but all the minor scratches are taken care of and it looks fantastic. I'll post a photo when I get done with it.

Thanks everybody that mentioned ScratchX. It works great.:AOK:

sunvalleylaw
October 27th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Yeah, post a pic. I miss that guitar already.

tjcurtin1
October 27th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Yeah, post a pic. I miss that guitar already.
SVL - you gotta change your gear list to reflect that red beauty in your avatar...

sunvalleylaw
October 27th, 2008, 05:42 PM
SVL - you gotta change your gear list to reflect that red beauty in your avatar...

Doh! :thwap: I'll get on it.

EDIT: Done deal. I may need to do a family pic for the avatar though, I love seeing that strat too.

Spudman
October 27th, 2008, 07:39 PM
There are still a few deep scratches but almost all the little ones are gone.

After
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Guitars/ProTone006.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Guitars/ProTone002.jpg
Before
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Guitars/ProTone.jpg

stingx
October 28th, 2008, 06:00 AM
All my guitars look great I just need a product to remove wrinkles now... :rotflmao:

SuperSwede
October 28th, 2008, 11:15 AM
All my guitars look great I just need a product to remove wrinkles now... :rotflmao:

Here ya go, its on the house!

http://www.thai-medical-vacations.com/images/picture/botox.jpg