PDA

View Full Version : BYOC v.1.0 Mouse (ProCo Rat clone)

duhvoodooman
October 20th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I'm selling my original BYOC Mouse build to purchase the updated version 2.0 of the kit. I built one recently for SVL and really liked the added tones from the 6-way clipping switch. Figured if I'm going to be trying to sell one of these newer versions now and again, I should own one of my own.

Anyway, even though I was sorely tempted to just hold onto my original Mouse build, I've decided to go ahead and part with it--just getting too many pedals and need to start thinning it out occasionally. Figured that having multiple versions of the same basic pedal was a threshhold I probably shouldn't cross! :nono:

You can read about the pedal on THIS PAGE (http://www.duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/rodent.htm) on my website, and in THIS THREAD (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=3711) here at The Fret. I made one further modification to the pedal since these original postings, namely adding a "Ruetz mod" toggle switch at the top. This mod drops the gain some and flattens out the pedal's EQ response. So with that and the original mods I did, the pedal offers a total of 8 different voicings. Very flexible and one of the three or four of my OD/distortion/fuzz box collection that I use most often. Don't know how to give it higher praise than actually using it a lot!

Here's a pic:

http://www.duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/rabid_rodent.jpg

Anyway, offering it here for $70 + shipping, which is more than $50 less than what I'd charge for a new Mouse build. My pedals are very well taken care of (of course!) and I'll guarantee it for 6 months against anything but obvious abuse or repair it at no cost to you except shipping it back to me. Here's a chance to own a genuine hand-built DVM effect pedal ("as featured in the Premier Guitar magazine BYOC photo gallery" :D) at a bargain price! :AOK:

Please PM me if interested....

duhvoodooman
October 21st, 2008, 11:19 AM
Just to clarify the capabilities of this pedal:

The MODE switch gives you three settings: classic Rat-style distortion (D), reduced gain overdrive (O), and a "diode lift" mode (L) that removes the clipping section and turns the pedal into an opamp-based boost circuit. There's still some distortion from the gain boost of the opamp, but it's much reduced.
The CLIP switch toggles between the original Rat's silicon diode clipping (N for Normal) and LED-based clipping (T for Turbo), as is used by the Turbo Rat. These settings only affect the distortion circuit, so only work when the MODE switch is on D.
The Ruetz mod toggle switch (not shown in the above photo) works with all four of the above modes and changes their character quite subtantially. It not only drops the gain quite a bit, but the bigger effect on tone comes from how this mod alters the pedal's EQ profile. It flattens out the mid-range, which some folks find too pronounced in the Rat circuit. Me, I like 'em both, so this mod basically doubles the pedal's available sounds, all of which I find useful.

One last thing to point out. The Rat 2 goes for $90. The Turbo Rat also sells for that price. This pedal has both of those distortion tones. And SIX MORE. For $70.

sunvalleylaw
October 21st, 2008, 11:39 AM
I'd advise someone to get it, and for someone else to order the v.2. You won't be disappointed. Plus, now it is famous in the Premiere Guitar mag.

duhvoodooman
November 3rd, 2008, 10:30 AM
** BUMP **

This great sounding and very flexible distortion box is still available--haven't gotten around to posting it on eBay yet. Still $70, which is absurd for a high-quality hand-built effect. Grab it before somebody else does!

duhvoodooman
November 19th, 2008, 10:35 AM
SOLD!! :beer:

Thanks, Peachhead! :AOK: Enjoy it--it's a great distortion box! :rockon: