PDA

View Full Version : cautiously optimistic

Childbride
October 20th, 2008, 07:33 PM
about 7 weeks ago, i decided i wanted to take my lessons in a different direction.

i go to meet a new teacher this saturday.

thusfar, i've learned that

he's got his own studio,

he teaches six days a week as late as ten at night,

he's booked to the nines,

and the owner of the new music store going in next to the one where i bought Odyssey [old store went out of business] personally recommended him, says he took from him for years, and he's [new owner] played 40-something years.

so i'm quietly stoked, and hoping things go well this weekend. :)

cross your fingers for me. i have high hopes.

duhvoodooman
October 20th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Fingers crossed, ma'am! Best of luck! :AOK: :rockon:

Robert
October 20th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Good luck! Practice lots! That's the problem most teachers have - the students don't practice enough. Here's some old timer fingers crossed for ya:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart/20061107/450election_cantwell_fingers.jpg

Childbride
October 20th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Good luck! Practice lots! That's the problem most teachers have - the students don't practice enough. Here's some old timer fingers crossed for ya:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart/20061107/450election_cantwell_fingers.jpg

Robert, i have no problem practicing. i'm dying here. i'm a sponge, i want to learn everything, i want to play.

i'll play my fingers to the bone. i just need someone to...

[searches for metaphor/analogy]

i've always had problems with complex math.

it took the right teachers to explain it to me in a way i UNDERSTOOD.

i'm looking for someone who can interpret in a way that will make calculus make sense. so to speak.

my first teach got me crawling. i want to walk, jog, run.

i think this may be my calculus teacher.

warren0728
October 20th, 2008, 08:51 PM
sounds cool cb! good luck with your new instructor! :beer:

ww

piebaldpython
October 20th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Good luck with your new teacher, CB!! So, uh..uh..uh..what NEW directions are you looking to go in??? Care to clue US in or will you surprise us?? :D

bigoldron
October 21st, 2008, 05:17 AM
Good luck with your new teacher, CB!! So, uh..uh..uh..what NEW directions are you looking to go in??? Care to clue US in or will you surprise us?? :D

Yeah, what new direction, death metal? Punk? Flamenco? :poke:

Really, CB, we all wish you the best of luck! :AOK:

Brian Krashpad
October 21st, 2008, 05:24 AM
Mojo sent.

Lessons.. what's that like?

M29
October 21st, 2008, 06:19 AM
Check out the veins on Roberts grandma:thwap:

More Mojo going your way CB:D

M29

Childbride
October 21st, 2008, 08:31 PM

[south park reference] cartman says "you guys are HEAYNHHH... " (hand at waist)

"and these guys are HEAYNHHH..." (hand at chest) [paraphrased]

i felt like i was treading water, and not progressing. therefore, i needed change.

i re-evaluated how i learn. i excel with deadlines and structure.

i did well with two instruments before. but i was drilled with basics.

i'm going to re-learn sight-reading music, theory. i want to construct my own songs. i want to deeply evaluate what makes a song work. how to take my words and make them talk to others. how chords work together.

i have talked to many persons locally who keep telling me that 'only classical guitarists learn to sight read, everyone else uses tabulature'.

this is what i want right now. if i decide i want to do something different in the future, i roll with it. guitar life is playdough, etch-a-sketch. doesn't work for me now, i make adjustments down the road.

Rocket
October 21st, 2008, 09:05 PM
i have talked to many persons locally who keep telling me that 'only classical guitarists learn to sight read, everyone else uses tabulature'.
Not true!

Childbride
October 25th, 2008, 01:13 PM
i have a new guitar teacher.

i am thrilled! :D :D :D

he teaches 70-80 students weekly, so scheduling was a beast, but i gave up sleeping in on saturday morning.

he will teach me theory, sight reading, ear training, everything i want so badly to learn, and will teach me the songs i want to play. he will teach me to take songs from cd, listen, break them down, and be able to write them for learning myself.

and eventually, when i get through boot camp,

he will help me learn to write my own music.

he says that he's taken lessons from one of andres segovia's students.

as i was walking out the door of his studio, i asked him 'next week, do i bring an electric or an acoustic?'

he replied, 'bring the guitar appropriate for the first song you want me to teach you.'

i was so stoked on the way home i forgot to make the beer run. :rotflmao:

just strum
October 25th, 2008, 01:30 PM
he replied, 'bring the guitar appropriate for the first song you want me to teach you.'

Congrats CB, I hope this instructors takes you from limbo and gets you moving in new directions.

However, I never could understand that insistence on "what song do you want to learn" mentality. When I did go for lessons, I specifically told the instructor - "I don't want to learn "a" song". I want to learn how to hear a song and then play it myself. Or hear a song and understand how it works and why it works.

Childbride
October 25th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Congrats CB, I hope this instructors takes you from limbo and gets you moving in new directions.

However, I never could understand that insistence on "what song do you want to learn" mentality. When I did go for lessons, I specifically told the instructor - "I don't want to learn "a" song". I want to learn how to hear a song and then play it myself. Or hear a song and understand how it works and why it works.

exactly. except i pick the song, he teaches it to me, breaking it down and showing me exactly how and why it works. through repetition over time in examining multiple songs, being able to sit down on my own with a new song, study the layout, and absorb the intentions/emotions of the artist... and yet in replication, make the song my own through interpretation.

just strum
October 25th, 2008, 01:43 PM
exactly. except i pick the song, he teaches it to me, breaking it down and showing me exactly how and why it works. through repetition over time in examining multiple songs, being able to sit down on my own with a new song, study the layout, and absorb the intentions/emotions of the artist... and yet in replication, make the song my own through interpretation.

Wouldn't it be less expensive to buy a radio?:poke:

Andy
October 26th, 2008, 09:43 AM
alot of teachers take this approach because other processes can be very rudimentary.especially with younger students.The instant gratification thing.

Once the student gets into learning a few songs the rudiments become more palitable.The student realises the importance of the less exciting necessities and learning the fretboard.

As far as sight reading and classical, typically the first(main) thing you learn in classical is sight reading. because you are working from sheet music.(tab would be almost... insulting). Atleast thats how it was for me.

within a year I had to write as well, on the spot ,as the instructer played.(without seeing the notes!) totaly by ear.
lots of theory and study of classical music requires it, because it can be very complex and daunting. definately not for everyone

duhvoodooman
October 26th, 2008, 11:22 AM
....scheduling was a beast, but i gave up sleeping in on saturday morning.
Wow, this IS serious!! :eek: Your dedication is to be admired, CB! Really! :dude:

Childbride
October 26th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Wow, this IS serious!! :eek:

:( yes, it is. i may have to work six or seven days a week sometimes, but geezly crow, saturday is the one morning i get to sleep as long as i want. [sigh]

s'ok. i want this. Nothing Worth Having is Ever Easy.

Katastrophe
October 26th, 2008, 03:40 PM
*cheers from the sidelines*

Go for it, CB! I hope your teacher gives you all the tools you need and want.

I hope Shiner didn't fall down in a blind panic from you missing the beer run, though.:D

street music
October 26th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Good for U, CB . That sounds like a great plan and I know you will do well.

Childbride
October 26th, 2008, 05:17 PM
*cheers from the sidelines*

Go for it, CB! I hope your teacher gives you all the tools you need and want.

I hope Shiner didn't fall down in a blind panic from you missing the beer run, though.:D

[giggle] had to rectify the beer run thing IMMEDIATELY after posting. no heart trauma. :rotflmao:

warren0728
October 26th, 2008, 05:19 PM
i think it's great cb....learn all you can and what you want to! :beer: :pancake:

Childbride
October 26th, 2008, 05:32 PM
i think the 'nailer' for me...

i walked in on a student's lesson. quietly tried to be discreet and inobtrusive on the far wall, sit on the couch, read the paper.

the kid is middle school aged, playing bass. has a cd of the who. next generation.

he's correcting his notes by ear, laying off the riffs perfectly,

and the teacher is telling him about john entwhistle's style of playing, and about the lilting on a particular riff.

i am truly excited. :D :rockon:

Andy
October 26th, 2008, 06:07 PM
this will be really good and enjoyable for you, nothing wrong with that !:AOK:
I always say that lessons are worth a whole lot more than a $300 fuzz pedal.

CB ,sounds like you have a goal and your head in the right place

Duff
October 30th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Listen to yourself and the teacher and practice, practice, practice.

I have a guitar on my bed and a bass. A couple guitar amps right at the head of my bed that I can reach and a bass amp next to my bed.

I play myself to sleep and love it. It sounds so good late at night. My soul glows with spirit and the music runs deep down into it and out of it.

I haven't been getting enough lessons because of my work schedule but I'm practicing every day for considerable amounts of time and playing myself to sleep.

I just put some nice Epi alnico classic nickel plated humbuckers in my Schecter Omen six walnut stain and it sounds a thousand times better. It's awesome and gives me a sense of accomplishment and pride and is motivational. I love sweet sounding guitars. The Schecter is now one of my best sounding guitars, full of tone in all three switch positions.

Good luck with the new teacher that sounds like he is on your wavelength.

Duffy