PDA

View Full Version : Cab sims (pedals, home builds, racks)

SuperSwede
October 21st, 2008, 09:21 AM
I still havent been able to find a nice analog cab sim that offers several cab "flavors".. the H&K Red Box is still a favorite but offers only 1x12 and 4x12...

What else are there available than the extremely expensive Palmer and the previously mentioned red box variants?

SuperSwede
October 21st, 2008, 09:30 AM
*bump*

This one seems really cool, but I can imagine the price tag!

http://livefrom.musicplayer.com/clip.aspx?key=96951F5ED28B2DB8&ctx=feat

tunghaichuan
October 21st, 2008, 10:29 AM
There are a bunch listed here:

http://www.amptone.com/#dummyload

Don't know how up to date the list is though.

The only experience I have is with the Red Box, a couple of the different versions and the new Behringer GI100 which seems to be a copy of the Red Box. Unfortunately, it only has a 4x12 sim.

tung

SuperSwede
October 21st, 2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks Tung, unfortunately most of those are no longer in production.

tunghaichuan
October 21st, 2008, 11:32 AM
Thanks Tung, unfortunately most of those are no longer in production.

Unfortunately, the idea of a cab sim usually works better on paper than it does as an actual product. I think that is why most of them go out of production fairly fast.

I've recorded with the Red Box and GI100, and there is something that is not quite right about them. Not that they sound bad. I want to like them because you have the option of recording silently when used with a dummy load, but miking an amp which is producing lots of volume still seems to be the best way to get good tone recorded.

tung

SuperSwede
October 21st, 2008, 11:37 AM
Unfortunately, the idea of a cab sim usually works better on paper than it does as an actual product. I think that is why most of them go out of production fairly fast.

I've recorded with the Red Box and GI100, and there is something that is not quite right about them. Not that they sound bad. I want to like them because you have the option of recording silently when used with a dummy load, but miking an amp which is producing lots of volume still seems to be the best way to get good tone recorded.

tung

Thats true, but I am really satisfied with the Red Box sound (pro). The problem is that I need more speaker flavors (4x12, 1x12, 2x12) and the option to change the miking distance (which I CAN do with my Sansamp, but it aint possibly to use the cab sim without the preamp on that otherwise great sounding little box).