PDA

View Full Version : How serious are you about guitar playing?

Robert
October 21st, 2008, 10:01 PM
I talked to a friend recently about this. When I was a teenager, I was very serious about guitar, and full of ambition. Practiced for hours every day. Then I came to the conclusion I was not getting as good as I wanted to be. Bummed me out for a while, but I focused on getting a university degree and became a serious runner instead. More or less quit playing for a few years.

Then I rediscovered the guitar again. I realized I don't have to be the best. I just enjoy playing, and I do think I play better now because I'm more relaxed and I have removed a lot of that pressure on myself. I have developed a way of playing that suits me, and even though I get bored with my own playing from time to time, I find ways around that by listening to a wide variety of music.

So, I guess I'm saying that I'm not so serious about guitar playing any more. I do try to play as good as possible, but it's easy to get sloppy and lazy when you don't have the pressure of upcoming gigs.

How serious are you?

sunvalleylaw
October 21st, 2008, 10:19 PM
I guess I am more serious (in the sense of desiring improvement) than I have time for, but that is largely because I am on the front end of the learning curve. I would love to play out regularly, and really shine, but I can only be really good at a limited number of things, so I have to have patience.

Spudman
October 21st, 2008, 11:11 PM
I'm not serious about guitar playing. I'm serious about the music.:)

Guitar playing doesn't stir people's souls. Music does.

At one point I was serious (like you Roberto) and practiced a bunch. Got that out of the way and now I want and try to create a vibe, a sound, an emotion with the music and what I can pull off on the guitar. I'm not motivated enough to sit around for hours trying to become Yngwie. I'd rather just be me and use my limited vocabulary to get my point across and make myself happy.

Andy
October 22nd, 2008, 12:40 AM
I'm pretty serious about it, it's a big part of my life,
I still play ocasional gigs, bring the flat-top to guitar pulls . sit around and play blues , learn and practice new riffs. and I got a studio gig last week that was fun,,for a female duo recording a demo.

I also got an offer from a local cover band to do gigs twice a month at some local club.(mostly classic rock).I heard the singer is like the band 'ruler' but heck twice a month should be tolerable.

I'm like most guys here ,a feel player at heart, I can't change that ,it's just what comes out

but lately I'm wanting to go back in time a little ,push the technical side a little harder, I guess you could say a little more into the yngwie zone.
back in the 80's I was in(or near) that zone, but I eventually got away from the faster technical stuff. I'm wanting to gain back some of that ability.
It sure has been taking a lot of practice time tho..

as long as I'm enjoying it , I'll keep going.( I have to> I just bought annother guitar !)

Ch0jin
October 22nd, 2008, 01:14 AM
I'd say I'm in the same area as Robert. I'll add that for me, electronics has always been a passion as well as music, so when the guitar playing bug recedes i'm usually then all about building gadgets which often end up being guitar related (FX and amps etc) and thus the circle of fifths...err life is complete :)

Spudman Hell yeah man. If this was a written exam I'd have just graded you 10/10 for that answer :)

Believe it or not I feel the same way about photography, and especially (ironically) both combat journalism and live music photography. I'd say I feel the same way about music too (and I do) but given my ability, I'm less about taking the listener on an emotional and auditory journey than I am about just not screwing up ;)

SuperSwede
October 22nd, 2008, 02:52 AM
Not very serious at all, I was just like Robert very devoted to the guitar but finally got "burned out" playing request songs at local bars and restaurants.

The guitar rested for a couple of years in a case before I finally sold it..

One day I was surfing the web and came upon a little website where a fellow Swede living i Canada was having a great time with a cheap Squier Tele and a Vox amp...

I decided that it was time to get a guitar again, and I joined this site and bought a Telecaster :-)

R_of_G
October 22nd, 2008, 07:05 AM
I'm not at all serious about it with respect to having any ambition to play professionally in any sense of the word. I am serious about constantly improving my playing, but my sole reason for playing is my own enjoyment. My only real goal outside of my own enjoyment is to be able to teach my daughter to play when she's old enough and if she wants to learn.

Robert
October 22nd, 2008, 07:48 AM
Spudman gets an extra bonus guitar for that answer. :thwap:

I must admit I am not really thinking about, or being focused on, the guitar playing aspect itself. Like Spuddie, I am all for the music. I try to play anything that sounds good and comes from within. I'm just trying to create music. I tried playing in a heavy rock band a while ago, but it wasn't me - I could make it sound as aggressively as they wanted. I'm too mellow!

I am also an improviser at heart. I want to constantly explore and improvise and find new ways. Very structured playing tends to bore me.

Andy
October 22nd, 2008, 08:12 AM
I get the opinion from this posting that either your a play by heart/feel player or a technical player, and theres no way to be both to some degree....?

Robert
October 22nd, 2008, 08:30 AM
Andy, I don't know why you are getting that idea. There are no rules - people do what they do. I think any combination of play by heart/feel and technique is possible - they are not mutually exclusive at all.

marnold
October 22nd, 2008, 08:40 AM
Due to the nature of my profession, it's hard for me to develop a steady practice regimen. I really don't have a set schedule and what is set can change at a moment's notice. I play just for something different to do and because I want to. I'll probably never play in public again--or at least it's unlikely. My main problem is that in my heart of hearts I'd love to be a shredder but I lack the time and (more importantly) the discipline necessary.

sumitomo
October 22nd, 2008, 08:59 AM
I have always just played for my own personal pleasure.I do not have a lot of time to practice,and just noodle with the blues.It makes me feel good when I play and that is why I do it.Sumi:D

Plank_Spanker
October 22nd, 2008, 12:47 PM
So, I guess I'm saying that I'm not so serious about guitar playing any more. I do try to play as good as possible, but it's easy to get sloppy and lazy when you don't have the pressure of upcoming gigs.

I'm right where you're at, Robert. Playing guitar is fun for me, not a serious deal. I enjoy playing with the band and it keeps my chops sharp.

k5koy
October 23rd, 2008, 06:00 AM
Great question Rob!
Me? Im am deadly serious about it. But not for the reasons you might think.
I was an old fart when a buddy of mine suggested I get a bass and take a few lessons so we could play together. I did so, and havent looked back. Now a few years later, its really all I have any emotion about at all. Guess I am hardened from 34 years dealing with the public in the jewelry business! Anyway, I have no aspirations of being a "star" I have never even played a single song in front of any sized audience with an exception of a few friends I jam with from time to time. Nor do I even want to. I play music for me. Until just a few weeks ago, I did not know a single popular song. I mostly just play my own stuff. Give me a drum machine, a bass, a guitar and a recording/mixing device, and I can give you a song! I just love to create something from nothing.
Its just therapy for me. I will play as long as I am physically able or until I am no longer able to improve. Thats my take.

Koy Carson
West Texas

**60th Anniversary American Strat
**Carvin AC175 Thinline Acoustic
**Ibanez EW20ZW Electric/Acoustic
**Arbor AJ145CR Jazz
**Fender Marcus Miller 5 String Bass
**Fender Geddy Lee Signature Bass
**Warwick Corvette 4 string Bass
**Tradition Fretless Bass
**Takamine Hollow body Bass
**Digitech JamMan

http://www.myspace.com/k5koy

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h34/k5koy/14kpickthumb.jpg
The "PickPocket" (http://www.waxpatterns.com/customguitarpick.htm) The ORIGINAL Guitar Accessory

Glacies
October 23rd, 2008, 06:06 AM
Not sure how to answer. I'm serious in the way that if I can, I practice everyday and I really enjoy it. I've been picking up extra material on top of my lessons and I really want to understand the guitar, but last night I got into the world series and didn't get my full practice time in and so far I haven't bankrupted myself on GAS.

stingx
October 23rd, 2008, 06:21 AM
I don't think I can be as serious as I would like at this point in my life. To me "serious" means pumping everything into something. Between my family life and career this is simply not something I can even possibly entertain at this point in time. I, like many here posted, used to play for hours a day. If I can get in a few hours a week now days that is a lot. I also try to do too many things at once. I got very heavily into home recording from the early 2000s to about last year when it began to wane. It made me forcus even more on my playing as nothing exposes you more than listening to yourself. It got to the point that I would redo tracks for hours and still not be satisfied. This would, of course, take away time from my wife and now that we have a child I really cannot invest the proper time into this.

I do have the time to play in a band and rehearse once a week for a couple of hours and play the occasional monthly gig or two. That's perfect enough to still get my enjoyment, not become too stale, and still leave plenty of time for other aspects of my life.

M29
October 23rd, 2008, 07:08 AM
I am serious and practice a lot. My main goal is to be able to jam with others. I want to be able to just set in anywhere and jam. I played drums for a good portion of my life and have not now for 20 years but I want to get to a point that I can have fun jamming with others. I don't have the confidence or experience yet to really express my self fully but I am working hard on it. I mentioned before that some band mates and I used to go to Chicago from home here to visit other friends that used to be in a band with us. We would rent a warehouse for the weekend and jam the whole time, at great volumes I might ad. We would go out for food and refreshments and I would come home with blisters on my fingers from all the jamming we did. That was some of the greatest times for me with music, better than the clubs. What I liked was we would start off on a jam and as we went on someone would influence a change and we would go that way for a while and then off another direction. That feeling of being a part of a movement in music was the greatest.
This is where I want to get to on the guitar. I have been playing for a while now and I am not where I want to be but I am making progress and that keeps me going. I think it would be good if I could find some guys to jam with but they are tough to find out of the city where I live. Oh I miss those jams. I just love the feel of making up a lead that sounds awesome I just need to get more fluid with it.:rockon:

M

jpfeifer
October 23rd, 2008, 07:38 AM
When I first started playing I used to practice religiously. I was putting in 6 hours a day at one time (back when I had time to do that). I was hoping to be a professional player one day and I wanted to be a studio musician so I was really working hard on that.

But I started wondering if music was the right career for me after I met more people who were doing it. Everyone was warning me how hard it was to make a living at it and encouraged me to find another occupation if I could, and use music as a hobby rather than a job. I saw what it was like to struggle to make ends meet since my own father was in a job that suffered the ups/downs of the local economy. I didn't want to live with this kind of financial worry and I saw that it would be much the same if I tried to rely on music for a living.

I majored in engineering in college but still kept up my practicing as much as I could, which was only about 1 hour a day.

These days I'm less serious about holding onto the idea of making a living playing music, but I use it as my mental therapy from my day job :-) I don't practice daily anymore since I just don't have the time with job and family obligations. But I'm still a serious guitar player. However, I'm having more fun with guitar now than I ever did. I finally quit putting myself under so much pressure to be the best I could be, and just accepted that I only have so many hours in a day and should play music for the love of it rather than always monitoring myself on whether or not I was improving.

-- Jim

kiteman
October 23rd, 2008, 08:16 AM
I pretend I'm a rock star. :rockon:

Really, I just like to play guitar. What can be more fun than that?

Jimi75
October 23rd, 2008, 08:38 AM
Through the years I learned that you do not have to be the best to be successful or to enjoy your playing. It's not the guitarplaying itself like already stated in this thread, it is how serious you take the music you play. When I was young I was practicing several hours a day, I wanted to go to G.I.T. or even apply for a Berklee stipendium. I wasn't focused enough, although playing guitar was all I did when I was aroung 16-18.

Nowadays, I do not have the guts to open a guitar school - am not much open minded about risky business.

Music is my life, there's no doubt and picking up the guitar once a day is a must and it is my therapy - getting lost in the Blues! Playing guitar is not a hobby it is my passion, my life elixir when I am down. Music opened so many doors to me so how couldn't I take my playing for serious then?

just strum
October 23rd, 2008, 10:16 AM
It's therapy, a serious therapy - an outlet/release. I love playing, buying, selling, listening to, looking at guitars.

I have fun.

warren0728
October 23rd, 2008, 10:30 AM
i seriously love guitar....i only play for fun and will probably never make a penny playing....i love all aspects of guitar....playing, getting new gear, cool people i've met that share my love, etc.

now if i could just decide on a good route to take to improve....right now i'm just trying to learn complete songs to play for friends....

ww

Algonquin
October 23rd, 2008, 10:57 AM
i seriously love guitar....i only play for fun and will probably never make a penny playing....i love all aspects of guitar....playing, getting new gear, cool people i've met that share my love, etc.

ww
+1 :AOK:

sunvalleylaw
October 23rd, 2008, 11:10 AM
+1 :AOK:
I am there too, but am serious enough to invest in lessons, and try to carve out time to improve. The problem I have is I did not go at it hard in my youth like Spud, Robert, StingX, etc. so my progress is not as quick as I would like. I am on the front end of the learning curve, and though I feel I am doing pretty well for a guy that picked it up on a regular basis 2.5 yrs ago or so, I have some basic hurdles to clear that will help me express myself and enjoy it so much more. (EDIT: BTW, it is my 2 yr. fret membership anniversary this month. Thanks everyone!)

Specifically, a better, more solid fretboard understanding where I don't have to look and use my brain to figure out where I am on the fretboard (for instance knowing all my notes on the 5th and 6th strings, and understanding some relationships between those notes and others, and knowing my modes and scales, and a good selection of chords), and better control overall including strumming, muting, bending, sliding, etc. So I guess I want to be serious enough to get over those hurdles, but it has to be done within the constraints of family life, making a living, and my other outdoor pursuits. I do it for the enjoyment of it though, and while it would be cool to get paid something, even free beer for the night, that is not a huge goal.

kiteman
October 23rd, 2008, 11:25 AM

now if i could just decide on a good route to take to improve....right now i'm just trying to learn complete songs to play for friends....

ww

+2 :AOK:

I like everything about guitars, they're intoxicating. :)

stingx
October 23rd, 2008, 11:27 AM
I think I will get an Ibanez 8-string for myself. That will really challenge me. :beer:

warren0728
October 23rd, 2008, 11:30 AM
Specifically, a better, more solid fretboard understanding where I have to look and use my brain to figure out where I am on the fretboard (for instance knowing all my notes on the 5th and 6th strings, and understanding some relationships between those notes and others, and knowing my modes and scales, and a good selection of chords), and better control overall including strumming, muting, bending, sliding, etc.
same here....in combination with playing complete songs....so i can impress the ladies! :pancake: :beer: if i can get one to hang around long enough to hear me play! :thwap: :rotflmao:

ww

ted s
October 23rd, 2008, 11:39 AM
I echo Warren, I'll NEVER make money at it. I play for fun and mental exercise.
I used to get really bummed if I wasn't making big forward movement.
Now I just remind myself that it is for my enjoyment, I'll probably never play like SRV, Clapton and the like, and that I have what ever time I have left on this planet to carry this obsession.
Any buying gear that doesn't make me play better :thwap: is fun too.

hubberjub
October 23rd, 2008, 12:39 PM
If I could make enough money playing the guitar to support my guitar buying habbits life would be perfect.

Spudman
October 23rd, 2008, 12:40 PM
same here....in combination with playing complete songs....so i can impress the ladies! :pancake: :beer: if i can get one to hang around long enough to hear me play! :thwap: :rotflmao:

ww

Two words amigo - duct tape.:D

kiteman
October 23rd, 2008, 01:24 PM

ww

You need some hooks mate. That'll grab 'em. :)

I don't really try to learn songs though I know quite a few but I like to pick apart songs. Grab a chord progression here, some riffs there, some solos and improvise like hell. Of course I had to learn some fretboard logic and that helped a lot but music coming from your heart is where the fun is.

As I said earlier, I pretend I'm a rock star. :dude:

warren0728
October 23rd, 2008, 02:17 PM
don't really try to learn songs though I know quite a few but I like to pick apart songs. Grab a chord progression here, some riffs there, some solos and improvise like hell. Of course I had to learn some fretboard logic and that helped a lot but music coming from your heart is where the fun is.
i agree....but everytime someone comes over they ask if i can play this song or that song....and i woiuld say no but here listen to this riff i'm working on...or here let me put on a backing track and you listen to me improvise over it.... :thwap:

so now i'm working on complete songs and still messing around with improvisation too!

ww

cherokee747
October 23rd, 2008, 05:53 PM
For me it's more of a personal satifaction.Figuring out that elusive riff, nonsensical noodling or finding that perfect phrasing for your latest original.It's bigger than all of us and goes on and on,this journey with axe in hand.I could'nt imagine not having a love for creating music.:AOK:

araT
October 23rd, 2008, 05:59 PM
If I could make enough money playing the guitar to support my guitar buying habbits life would be perfect.

I think most of us share that dream :thwap:

Duff
October 23rd, 2008, 10:57 PM
It's all true. We all have our reasons and are serious about things in our own way.

I always had a guitar, a very weak example of an acoustic guitar, and played the drums for many years with a nice rig that is still set up and I play regularly.

After I retired I wanted to get an old Fender or Gibson and fix it up and work on some blues ideas that I had plus rock. I found out how expensive an old guitar like that is and got a nice new guitar; nice to me, a walnut stain Schecter Omen 6 that I am going to put new hbuckers in soon, already have them. That guitar was my first nice guitar and it's nicer than many might think.

I started taking lessons because I learned that you could get a thousand times better a thousand times faster that way; instead of trying to teach yourself.

So I got serious about my lessons and learning seriously about guitar in general. I am still serious in learning guitar and practice every day. I have made more progress than I thought I was capable of, by far. Lessons, to me, are a good idea.

After having taken the lessons for a while and learning more methods and specifics I now get way more enjoyment out of jamming and grooving. I like to play along to songs and I like to make up my own songs. Lessons opened up the serious side and it influences my ability to add variety to my relaxation playing and song writng, developing.

I have no expectation of becoming a star and definitely get great enjoyment out of playing. I play myself to sleep at night. I have a guitar on the bed and my Fender Super Champ XD and Digitech RP350 at the head of the bed. I have my bass next to the bed and my new Marshal MB30 bass practice amp at the side of the bed and a Zoom B2.1u bass pedal on the bed. My wife even liked it when I would play her to sleep. She still does. I can't believe how much pleasure this brings me to play at night, especially, but any time of the day is better than not playing.

I think it is important to get serious equipment and spend some serious time practicing, in order for me to progress. A new guitar or amp is always inspiring and opens new doors or windows.

I know some professional muscians who are very, very serious about music. They have played since they were very young and their fathers were professional muscians. For them taking music seriously is a fact of life. They do not settle for less than excellence and are disappointed in themselves if they can't excell at their music. Music like Spud said, not instrument. One of them sings and plays keyboards, pianos, organs, etc., at which he excells and takes it serious. He thinks he can play drums and knows the basics of how to play drums and when he plays them he seriously thinks he can play and sounds good. But he doesn't sound good. It is kind of humorous. He takes himself seriously though and makes it thru the songs and is happy with his performance. This aspect of him being able to play drums has come in handy when drummers get too drunk to play or don't show up.

Some of these guys are very serious indeed. You would not get to be in their band or even jam with them if they didn't think you were serious. To each their own. Maybe they are too serious but it is their way and they LOVE to relax and play at home with friends and can enjoy making music informally; but when stage time rolls around it is very, very serious business and the situation changes.

Some bands are composed of extremely serious muscians. They are professionals and understand the seriousness of the challenges.

I wouldn't be able to handle that level of seriousness. To me it's "rock and roll" or the "blues" and getting too serious would possess the potential of me getting discouraged and quitting because, all of the sudden, it's not fun anymore.

So I guess I play for fun and emotional release. I can feel and put emotion into music. Playing has turned my day around more than once. I can even play in the morning now, something that I would never do before I started to take guitar seriously.

The more I practice on a regular basis the better I get. When I practice enough I am always warmed up and can get right to whatever I'm trying to express or work on. If I don't practice enough it takes a lot of time to get into the groove.

Like it was said, it is not impossible to be serious and enjoy yourself at the same time.

I like this thread.

Too many so called pro's are up their on the stage just going thru the motions. They are serious about all kinds of things but are not getting their soul into it, way too often in bands I've watched live at fairs and things in the last few weeks. I really like it when I can tell that they are up on stage and getting into the groove, deeply, and getting emotional about it. It is so much better that way, even if it's just a guy and his wife playing "Mr. Tamborine Man". I know they are serious about their music when I see that they are getting into emotional expression and connecting their souls to the song. It's easy to tell when this is happening and usually they're not making much money at it either. It's a spiritual thing.

We can't, in my opinion, take ourselves too seriously; but we need to have a certain level of seriousness in order to be good and progress in our art.

There are a lot of great guitarists on this site. This has to be the best group of guitar players anywhere.

Duffy

Jimi75
October 24th, 2008, 12:57 AM
@ Duff:

:AOK: Thanks for your post. Beautiful read and sooooo full of truth!

Ch0jin
October 24th, 2008, 01:38 AM
@ Duff A-freakin-men brother. Excellent post. I very strongly agree with your last paragraph in particular. I used to say to people "I don't watch cover bands because they rarely convey the emotion of the song like the guys that wrote it." Whilst with age I've realised thats unfair and there are bucket loads of exceptions, I can say without hesitation, the songs I've seen performed live that gave me chills or made me shout out "F*ck Yeah!" over the years have rarely been covers.

It's about a translating what you feel inside as a result of your life experience into a medium others can understand and with any luck, relate to. It's also a release to many people, a cathartic process to express emotion that perhaps cannot be expressed any other way. All art is about passion and eliciting an emotional response in your audience.

Anyway, maybe just me being a hippy, but I believe that.

Jipes
October 24th, 2008, 05:13 AM
I don't think I can't classify myself as serious for guitar :) I try to do my best with my small bag of tricks and try to be honest with the audience when I play a gig. When I started (around 20) I was more ambitious as you perfectly explained but beeing satisfy with my job as a research assistant I don't feel too much pressure.

However I'm getting more serious on acoustic guitar playing because I planned to make a record of my own compositions next year before I turn half a century Man :rotflmao:

street music
October 26th, 2008, 04:18 PM
I would say that I'm similar to Warren, I love MUSIC, I listen every chance I get. I hope to be able to play in public someday without being laughed at and I need more lessons but can't really take the time or money right now to put into it. So I'm working from easy tab books and learning everything that I can while developing the skills to play riffs or songs and change chords at a good pace.
I love working on guitars, PICKUP changing :D , new strings:D , different amps and effects.
I practice nearly everyday and sometimes get in a rut but work my way out of it when possible.:dude: :dude:

LagrangeCalvert
October 30th, 2008, 09:41 AM
I don't think I will ever give up my dream to be a professional gigging/touring artist.

I take it seriously but I'm grounded as a person; I know what the chances are.

Brian Krashpad
October 30th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I'm not serious about being a guitarist, at least not the technical aspects of it.

I don't practice scales or sweep picking or anything like that.

All I care about is whether I do a good job with my bands, whether playing out live or making recordings. Even though the bands I'm in play different styles of rock musc, in no case am I going to need to sound like EVH or Yngwie or any other famous guitarist (well, maybe Johnny Ramone or Pete Townshend or Malcolm Young). I'm much more focused on being a songwriter and performer than I am on being a guitarist. I already have the skills I need as to the latter, to continue to work on the former.

cobalt
November 8th, 2008, 01:04 AM
To me it's a way of life. I picked up the guitar at the age of 5 and will be playing till the day I die. The only thing that has changed over the years is the amount of time I play. As someone once said my guitar is my voice. This is by far my favorite thread. I look at somebody like Les Paul who is still learning and still having fun. It gives me a picture into my future. I just saw B.B. King the other night he is 83 and still going strong. There is so much to learn and so much fun to have while you learn. I'm never going to be as good as I want to be because the target keeps moving. If I hit one level my expectations rise, but I don't obsess over it. I recently lost everything I own in a fire. One of the first things I replaced was my guitar.

Kazz
November 8th, 2008, 06:42 AM
If anybody answers that they are serious enough and they are not a professional musician then they are not serious enough. I can assure you none of us really practice enough...and I am not even including myself in the same bucket as the rest of you all, I have been tinkering with this on and off again for about 3 years now....and I still cannot play more than a handful of songs and a few licks. But I did not pick it up to be a touring musician....I picked it up to be able to strum a few bars and relax. Sooner or later both the ambition and the finance is going to be right to where I can get out and finally take some lessons that will get me over the plateau I seem to be on.

I don't want to be the next Frank Hannon...I just want to be the next Steve Hall.

Ro3b
November 8th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I'm serious about the guitar in the way that football players are serious about weightlifting. I'm much more interested in working in a band context -- in playing actual music with other people -- than in becoming The Greatest Guitar Player In The Universe. I'm a good player, but I've always tailored my practicing to reflect whatever project I'm involved in.

oldguy
November 8th, 2008, 07:53 AM
I'm serious about the guitar in the way that football players are serious about weightlifting. I'm much more interested in working in a band context -- in playing actual music with other people -- than in becoming The Greatest Guitar Player In The Universe. I'm a good player, but I've always tailored my practicing to reflect whatever project I'm involved in.

Now that, to me, is a spot on answer.
Visualize your target destination and aim for the bullseye.:AOK:

Brian Krashpad
November 20th, 2008, 02:19 PM
If anybody answers that they are serious enough and they are not a professional musician then they are not serious enough.

I'm not really sure I understand the intended import of tha above statement, and if I do, I don't agree. So basically anyone who is "not a professional musician" is kidding themselves if they think they're serious enough, or practiced up enough? If that's your intention, it doesn't seem to gibe with the rest of what you said, and at any rate if that's what you're saying, I disagree.

I suppose from a technical aspect I'm a "professional musician" in that I do get paid for my bands' performances, but I'm certainly not a full time professional musician who can survive on my earnings as such (and the latter is probably what you meant). But putting me in the non-professional category (which I have no problem with, the IRS certainly does not consider me a musician) somehow means I am not "serious enough?" I don't "get" that.

I know how to do what I need to do on guitar and bass. It's not fancy. I can't play all imaginable styles or do a lot of difficult techniques. To be perfectly honest, I have absolutely no interest in learning those things, either, because to do so would be at best totally academic and would be something of no use to me.

It seems to me that whether one is "serious enough" depends on what one's goals are, and must be measured accordingly. In my case, I want to be able to play the songs I (or my bandmates) write, and communicate the musical ideas in those songs. I want to be able to play well enough to do a good job on playing those songs in a live context with minimal mistakes. I don't need perfection though. And I always always always want to put on a good show. Those are my goals.

I'll give you an example. Last week I went into the studio. In five hours I recorded a song, from nothing to finished product, including setting up and mic'ing the drums (which is the better part of an hour in itself). There were 4 different guitar parts on it, played with four different guitars, plus a bass part. I played all five parts, plus a lead vocal and a backing vocal. Almost everything on the recording is first take.

I don't practice much, and will admit to being downright disinterested in learning to play like ____________ (insert fave guitar god here). But I'd contend I'm "serious enough."

R_of_G
November 20th, 2008, 02:30 PM
It seems to me that whether one is "serious enough" depends on what one's goals are, and must be measured accordingly. In my case, I want to be able to play the songs I (or my bandmates) write, and communicate the musical ideas in those songs. I want to be able to play well enough to do a good job on playing those songs in a live context with minimal mistakes. I don't need perfection though. And I always always always want to put on a good show. Those are my goals.

Brian, that seems to me to be the best definition of "serious enough" that I've heard to date. As I've said before, to me it's all about being able to know what to play in context. You understand the playing that is required for your band and seek to deliver on that to the best of your abilities. Sounds about right to me.

Brian Krashpad
November 20th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Brian, that seems to me to be the best definition of "serious enough" that I've heard to date. As I've said before, to me it's all about being able to know what to play in context. You understand the playing that is required for your band and seek to deliver on that to the best of your abilities. Sounds about right to me.

Thanks.

I left out one other goal of mine, to be versatile enough to play both guitar and bass, as needed. I love playing both instruments, and in various bands have been either the/a guitarist or the bassist. In both of my current side bands, I have played guitar and bass, depending on the other personnel available, in both live and recording scenarios. In fact, on the first album by one of my side bands, I was at the time the sole designated lead guitarist, but our bassist got very ill and then into some trouble with the law (musicians!), so I got to play all the lead guitar and all the bass on the album! That was wonderfully fun.

R_of_G
November 20th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Being able to competently play both guitar and bass is a goal of mine as well. I simply enjoy playing both instruments. I do not play in a band, but I play in several settings with friends, and in at least one of these there is a bass present which we've taken turns playing. I enjoy taking my turn with the bass as it forces me to focus on a completely different aspect of the music. Again, it always comes down to knowing what kind of playing is appropriate for the given situation.

Brian Krashpad
November 20th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Being able to competently play both guitar and bass is a goal of mine as well. I simply enjoy playing both instruments. I do not play in a band, but I play in several settings with friends, and in at least one of these there is a bass present which we've taken turns playing. I enjoy taking my turn with the bass as it forces me to focus on a completely different aspect of the music. Again, it always comes down to knowing what kind of playing is appropriate for the given situation.

Exactly; although the note-spacing on the bass is helpful for going back and forth between it and guitar, they otherwise could not be more different instruments. Certainly a different mindset/headspace is involved. I have always been a "less is more" guitarist (possibly out of sheer laziness and/or technical ineptitude, haha), and that helps, I think. I've found playing bass informs my guitar playing and helps in ways I have a hard time verbalizing. I would definitely encourage guitarists to try their hand at bass, if for no other reason than to build up hand strength and callouses!

And, for those interested in gigging, bassists are always in demand, while we guitarists are a dime a dozen. ;)

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2644/bradleywaltersrock4thehbj7.jpg

Plus, playing bass is just flat-out fun. :dude:

R_of_G
November 20th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I've found playing bass informs my guitar playing and helps in ways I have a hard time verbalizing.

Absolutely. I find that some of the better guitar playing I do in these situations comes right after I've taken my turn with the bass because I'm thinking about things differently.

And you are correct, playing bass is just plain fun.

kiteman
November 20th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Absolutely. I find that some of the better guitar playing I do in these situations comes right after I've taken my turn with the bass because I'm thinking about things differently.

And you are correct, playing bass is just plain fun.

Well, I don't have a bass guitar though I like 'em and enjoyed listening to bass runs. What I can do is play bass on my guitar with the octaver turned on. :)

Brian Krashpad
November 20th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Well, I don't have a bass guitar though I like 'em and enjoyed listening to bass runs. What I can do is play bass on my guitar with the octaver turned on. :)

That's a good way of introducing yourself to it. But I'd still encourage you to either get in a sitch where you can borrow an actual bass, or buy a cheapie. Between used Squiers, and the SX's at rondomusic.com, plus lots of other non-Fender brands, especially used, there's tons of basses available for around a Benjamin or less. The feel/action of a bass, and the neck scale, is very different from a guitar, and to a certain extent, to flip an aphorism, function follows form-- in other words, by having to play an actual bass you will tend to play more like a bassist than a guitarist.

My big thing playing bass is to not give the impression of being a guitarist playing bass, but to try to become an actual bassist, and play as if I'd never picked up a guitar.

Duff
November 20th, 2008, 09:28 PM
There are big name professionals that don't practice or rehearse. They just show up and play and play often.

I have to wonder if they are just stagnated and really are not taking music seriously. They have mastered their gig and that is it.

To each their own, but I don't think this is seriousness, not a serious approach to music.

Practicing every day or as regularly as is possible and trying to learn new things I think is a part of seriousness. Getting better and innovating to get a better result is also seriousness and takes time and practice and thinking.

Running on autopilot and just jamming along to the next whim is great fun and very rewarding; however, I would not say that it is being serious about your music unless you are listening very closely and trying to add nuances and things like that to your groove. After all, music comes from the soul anyway right. You could be the seriousest player in the world and still not have any heart or soul in your music. Just a lot of technical serious patterns and tricks and difficult parts, but missing that essential ingredient. How about those old bluesmen when they were coming up with totally junk guitars that they somehow got, probably not in tune or tuneable even, but they learned, got serious and became great and their music has soul.

Then there is Rock and Roll. I remember seeing a Chuck Berry documentary that took place near Saint Louis, Missouri where he lives. Keith Richards was there and he was hounding Chuck big time about how to play a certain part of one of Chuck's songs. Chuck got so pi**ed off I thought he was going to hit Keith right there on the spot. Richards wouldn't let up. He knew in his mind that it had to be played just this one way, seriously, and Chuck was pi**ed. Later Chuck said that Rock and Roll is about getting loose, being free to innovate; rock and roll with it. But some rock bands are DEAD serious. I know some guys like that. NO mistakes, perfect harmonies, etc.

So to me, you can be as serious as you want. It's up to you. But don't leave out those essential ingredients and sometimes a break is good. Playing bass is a good break and I noticed going back to the guitar it felt like I was flying.

Duffy

just strum
November 21st, 2008, 07:40 AM
I find practice, including scales, enjoyable. I don't know where that puts me. I just enjoy playing, even if what comes out sucks. There is a lot to be said about getting lost in another world when you pick up a guitar.

If I can pick up a guitar and leave the days stress behind, then the guitar has done its job.

Brian Krashpad
November 21st, 2008, 08:09 AM
I find practice, including scales, enjoyable.

Different strokes!

I honestly cannot remember the last time I played a scale, except to show my daughter some major scales on bass.

just strum
November 21st, 2008, 08:13 AM
Different strokes!

I guess that's part of the magic - no right way, no wrong way - just your own way.

Spudman
November 21st, 2008, 08:21 AM
Yesterday I wasn't serious at all and I had a great time playing guitar.:)

Brian Krashpad
November 21st, 2008, 09:21 AM
I think too many people get caught up in the "right and wrong" of it. Some people actually consider it an affront to music because others may have no interest in something like learning to sight-read, tap, sweep-pick, or whatever.

I've played in bands (both rock bands and church bands) for over 25 years without needing to do any of those things, and frankly can't imagine ever needing to. I have a finite amount of time available, between work, family, and bands, and I'm not about to spend time learning something I have no use for. Frankly I'd rather read a book or see a movie. :D

marnold
November 21st, 2008, 04:18 PM
Exactly; although the note-spacing on the bass is helpful for going back and forth between it and guitar, they otherwise could not be more different instruments. Certainly a different mindset/headspace is involved.
Yes! Exactly! You'd be surprised how many guitarists think that since they can play guitar they can play bass. Bzzzt! Wrong! Enjoy your lovely parting gifts!

Now that I've got a bass again it has become crystal clear to me that I am a bass player playing guitar. With the theory I know now, I find myself learning riffs left and right that used to take me forever. Quite often it seems like I'm in a life-or-death struggle with my guitars, but I strap on the bass and away I go. Granted, I had many years of semi-serious bass playing in my past, but still.

There's nothing like the feeling of playing bass while you and the drummer are in a groove about a mile and a half deep. Hard to explain but man does it rule. Plus hitting a REALLY low note and having everything vibrate to the point that you think you are thisclose to the brown note totally rules :)

guitrkill3r
November 30th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Man i wish I could actually jam with some of you guys. After reading all these responses from you guys and how music just influences pretty much everyone the same way its just amazing. If I didnt have the guitar, I know I would find something else like piano or drums but its still not the guitar to me. I just connect well with a guitar and I love it. This site is full of talent- badass.