PDA

View Full Version : Ebay experiences with instruments?

Glacies
October 22nd, 2008, 08:40 AM
Just wondering what ebay has turned into. There's a guitar I'm interested in right now and the bidding is at 10% of the retail value with 3 days left in the race. Do these things shoot up in the last hour or what? I know the seller isn't going to part with it at the current bidding price, as it hasn't met reserve.

Anything I should keep an eye out for before getting involved?

Spudman
October 22nd, 2008, 09:56 AM
Generally within the last 5 minues the price will move. If it is something of value chances are other folks have found it too. If you are serious about it try watching it for the last 5 minutes but have in mind what you would be willing to pay for it and bid shortly before the auction's close. If you bid now it's like you are saying to the ebay community 'come on - out bid me'.

WackyT
October 22nd, 2008, 10:04 AM
Usually, I won't bid on an item until the last minute. If it's still low, I'll submit one.

duhvoodooman
October 22nd, 2008, 10:23 AM
I'm a firm believer in the practice of last second (almost literally) bidding known as "sniping", using an online automated sniping servcie to place the bid for you. Described in detail in THIS THREAD (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=8508), which I'd strongly suggest reading through.

marnold
October 22nd, 2008, 10:37 AM
With the bass I just got, I put in a bid within the last five minutes. No one else had bid on it and I didn't want to attract any attention to it. It probably helped that the auction ended at an odd time (12:15 P.M. local time). I did the same thing with my EX-7. I'm shocked that in both cases nobody else bid on it, but who am I to complain?

bigoldron
October 22nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
Ditto!

Andy
October 22nd, 2008, 04:25 PM
I always seem to get sniped in the last few seconds:confused: