PDA

View Full Version : So, who you got? World Series Thread

Glacies
October 22nd, 2008, 09:53 AM
I got the Rays in 6.

marnold
October 22nd, 2008, 09:54 AM
I hope it's the Rays. That would give perennial underachievers like KC and Pittsburgh the kick in the pants they would need to get their act together. If the inter-league records mean anything, it would be Rays in 4.

R_of_G
October 22nd, 2008, 11:21 AM
I am rooting for the Rays. I live in Tampa. I am not a fan of the team as I much prefer National League baseball to American League baseball, and I am completely opposed to indoor baseball, but I do have some civic pride and I am thus rooting for the Rays.

However, let's not think for even a minute that the Phillies don't also represent perennial underachievement. They are, after all, the first MLB team to tally 10,000 losses. They're not exactly 26 time world champions like the Yankees.

So, if we're handicapping the Series, I'll take the Rays in 7.

Plank_Spanker
October 22nd, 2008, 12:51 PM
Phillies in a sweep................................:D

mechanic
October 22nd, 2008, 05:50 PM
I'm rooting for the Phillies.
Just because I much prefer senior circuit baseball to junior circuit.
Eric

player
October 22nd, 2008, 06:07 PM
Rays in 5. Phillies are Not going to lay down or die easy either but the call stands.remember what the Marlins(a rather new team) did not that long ago?

piebaldpython
October 22nd, 2008, 06:47 PM
PHILLIES in 6 and then it will be absolute civic mayhem around here, the likes of which NONE of you have ever seen. Buses will be overturned, etc. It ain't gonna be a pretty sight. Lots of people got arrested for disorderly conduct when the Phils won the NLCS the other nite. :D

Of course, being born and bred into Phillies RED and Iggles GREEN, I am stoked. Most people in work (1000 people in our office) today had on something RED.

Hey, MRS. Even-keel.......you wearing your RED??? :D

Yes, we are the Senior Circuit........old enough to not have a special name that would mean anything COOL. :rotflmao: What's a Phillie???? :D

R_of_G
October 22nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
Yes, we are the Senior Circuit........old enough to not have a special name that would mean anything COOL. :rotflmao: What's a Phillie???? :D

Didn't it come from just shortening the name from the "Philadelphias"? Still better than the Quakers which is what they started with. :)

sunvalleylaw
October 22nd, 2008, 10:44 PM
I'll take the Mariners. Ol' Edgar just needs to keep hitting, and Griffey Jr. is still hot. I hope Johnson's arm holds out. Oh wait, that was years ago. :thwap: Where's Jay Buhner when you need him?

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/images.jpg

Sorry you serious sports fans. Just reminiscing. ;)

piebaldpython
October 22nd, 2008, 10:58 PM
DUH, of course I knew that "Phillies" was short for Philadelphia. I just meant the rhetorical question in light of that ALL new sports teams (for at least the last 30 years) spend $$$$$'s trying to get the BEST name (and logo) for their team that will rake in $$$$$'s in merchandising fees.

Well, 1 down and 3 to go. WHEW!!! Good game tonite and we pulled it out but not with some scares. Too many "fetal position" moments. :rotflmao:

Glacies
October 23rd, 2008, 05:38 AM
DUH, of course I knew that "Phillies" was short for Philadelphia. I just meant the rhetorical question in light of that ALL new sports teams (for at least the last 30 years) spend $$$$$'s trying to get the BEST name (and logo) for their team that will rake in $$$$$'s in merchandising fees.

Well, 1 down and 3 to go. WHEW!!! Good game tonite and we pulled it out but not with some scares. Too many "fetal position" moments. :rotflmao:

It was a pretty good game. I didn't make it to the 9th but I think I saw everything I needed to see. Both teams were playing pretty well - was a good game. I hope not to see a sweep at all. Yeah I'm pulling for the Rays but neither of them are my team, I'm just excited to see someone ELSE in the series, and not the yankees or the BoSox

For the record, I lived most of my life in Bronx NY, so I am a native yankee.

piebaldpython
October 26th, 2008, 12:27 AM
WOW!!! 3 hr 42 min game that ends at nearly 2 AM after a 1.5 hour rain delay. Now, we (the city of Philly) have to go to bed, get up, go to church, catch the IGGLES at 1 PM, then the PHILS at 8 PM. Another possible nail-biterr in the offing.
Surely, our bosses can't expect us to come to work on Monday morning, can they??? :rotflmao:

Glacies
October 26th, 2008, 06:36 AM
WOW!!! 3 hr 42 min game that ends at nearly 2 AM after a 1.5 hour rain delay. Now, we (the city of Philly) have to go to bed, get up, go to church, catch the IGGLES at 1 PM, then the PHILS at 8 PM. Another possible nail-biterr in the offing.
Surely, our bosses can't expect us to come to work on Monday morning, can they??? :rotflmao:

I only caught the first 3 innings last night but I was pretty dissapointed with Tampa's pitching. I'm not familiar with the either roster for that matter but you guys had a really smart pitcher up for those three. Forgot his name.

piebaldpython
October 26th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Jamie Moyer pitched a little over 6 innings and did great. Not bad for a 45 yr old (in guitarists age, that would be 90 yrs old). :D Tampa takes advantage of opportunities better than we do. We have left so many men on base that it's embarrassing. Still, our Phils generally wake up for an inning or two and the job gets done.

My $.02, but on the last play, if the 3rd baseman had not played the ball, it may have eventually rolled foul.

just strum
October 26th, 2008, 07:38 AM
I don't know, could the Rays have Cleveland Indians choke syndrome?

Glacies
October 26th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I don't know, could the Rays have Cleveland Indians choke syndrome?

I don't think they're playing too badly, I think it's just because they're a very young team and most of the players have never made it this far before.

BluezOldy
October 26th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Why is it called the World Series when only US teams play?

mechanic
October 28th, 2008, 05:11 AM

Because the players come from all over the world?:confused:

Algonquin
October 28th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Hello :wave:
http://www.chriscreamer.com/images/logos/53/78/full/1414.gif

Glacies
October 28th, 2008, 06:26 AM
I don't think they're playing too badly, I think it's just because they're a very young team and most of the players have never made it this far before.

Okay Kazmir definately was having issues last night. Not sure if it was just the rain or not.

I will say, and I say this for both sides, I've never seen so many bad ump calls in under 6 innings, and I've rarely seen so many walks.

R_of_G
October 28th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Kazmir definitely struggled with his control last night, but the stats are a bit deceptive. At least two walks were the result of completely blown calls by the home plate umpire, especially the last two "balls" in the walk to Burrell. I can't remember who else go the benefit of a bad call, but at least one other Philly walked on a fourth ball that was quite clearly a third strike.

This has been, without question, the worst officiated Series I have ever watched. Whether it was Hamels and his uncalled balk in game one, the rescinded strike out call and subsequent walk of Rocco Baldelli, the blown call on Longoria's clear tag out of Rollins (and that one extended an inning and cost a run), or the failure to consistently call balls and strikes, this officiating crew is doing a terrible job of officiating a championship series.

piebaldpython
October 28th, 2008, 08:43 AM
The officiating has been BRUTAL; for both teams thank God. If ever there was a compelling reason for instant reply. :poke: :poke: Why can't they do something like they do in football; each manager gets a certain number of "challenges"?? :poke:
The only thing you can't challenge is balls and strikes.
Yeah, Rollins was out but the pitcher blew it as he had a certain DP if he threw to second.
I'm glad that the RAYS tied the game so they could put it into SUSPENDED status and then play the remaining 3.5 innings in better conditions.

R_of_G
October 28th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I'd still like to see the league itself review calls on balls and strikes after the fact and fine and/or otherwise penalize umpires who repeatedly make inaccurate or inconsistent calls. The guy behind the plate last night should not be allowed to be behind the plate for another playoff game ever. Not only was he flat-out wrong on some of those calls, he was inconsistent. If there are two pitches in the same location, they are either both strikes or both balls, not one of each.

I agree that on the Longoria/Rollins play at third the pitcher should have gone to second for the easy DP, but regardless, that is still the worst of the many blown calls by the umps in this series. None of them should be allowed to do playoff games again.

piebaldpython
October 28th, 2008, 10:40 AM
It should be the BEST officials, period. This series they got The Three Stooges for umps. Holy smokes.
I'm not a fan of reviewing balls and strikes, as each ump has his own "zone". However, maybe they ought to use one of those laser/computer things that they do for pro tennis, that calls the "lines" on the serves.
See, sports fans who are purists don't like losing the human element. BUT...when it's THIS bad as THIS series has been....something HAS to be done as the game becomes secondary to the drama. :poke:

I want to BEAT you guys "fair and square". I don't want some asterisk crap next to our names. :D

birv2
October 28th, 2008, 11:59 AM
First off, I'm rooting for the Phils to go all the way. And they should be able to do it. Go Fightins!

Secondly, I agree about the umping. I can't remember a series with so many bad calls, both at the plate and in the field. As someone said, at least the calls seem to be blown in both teams' favor and not just one.

My understanding is that umpires are graded all year long (behind the plate and in the field) and only the ones with the best "grades" get to do the playoffs and world series. I'm pretty sure that's correct. If so, that's a scary thought.:whatever:

My other gripe is late October, early November baseball. I think they should cut the regular season back to 154 games, so we don't have to deal with snow in the forecast!

Bob

R_of_G
October 28th, 2008, 12:28 PM
My other gripe is late October, early November baseball. I think they should cut the regular season back to 154 games, so we don't have to deal with snow in the forecast!

I couldn't agree more Bob!

I blame it all on the need to expand the playoffs with the Wild Card round. I liked it much better when there were two divisions in each league and you either won the division or you didn't make the playoffs, and the playoffs were the LCS and WS only.

At least it's not as bad as the NHL or the NBA where literally half the league makes the playoffs and mediocrity is rewarded with a shot at the title.

birv2
October 28th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I couldn't agree more Bob!

I blame it all on the need to expand the playoffs with the Wild Card round.

I actually like the Wild Card, and I'm pretty much a traditionalist. When they went to 3 divisions in each league, you really needed to have another team in the playoffs. But if we went back to 154 games, we'd get that week back and wouldn't be playing in this insane weather.

I live about an hour outside of Philly, and they're forecasting snow mixed with rain for tomorrow morning. :confused:

Bob

R_of_G
October 28th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I didn't see the need for three divisions, or the expansion which caused it. I'm not a fan of expansion of any of the sports' leagues. They are all big enough (or too big) already. Watering down the talent pool even further doesn't do it for me. I'd like to see all of these leagues go through contraction rather than expansion then we'd get some legitimate competition, not mediocrity sold to us as "parity". Just my two cents. I know other people like the wild card thing.

piebaldpython
October 28th, 2008, 01:17 PM
The playoffs in the current format are here to stay and I don't mind that. What I do mind, though, is having to watch baseball being played and you can see the players breaths. Anyplace can have an unexpected cold snap and you can't help that. BUT......BUT.......BUT........once you get to mid-October, you can't possibly be surprised if it's cold in the mid-west (Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee) and the NE (NYC, Boston), can you?????

The World Series should be over not later than Oct 15. :poke:

If the basketball playoffs, run late, nobody care because it's indoors.

Hockey runs TOO late because sometimes you get games where they have the ice melting or the rink becomes all fogged in. Hockey should be done by end of April. :poke:

duhvoodooman
October 28th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Who do I have in the Series? My money is on Mother Nature! She can be very tough this time of year....

(Go Rays!)

R_of_G
October 28th, 2008, 02:56 PM
MLB has decided not to resume the suspended Game 5 tonight (Tue) but to push it to Wednesday Oct 29th. At least that means a new episode of House will be on tonight.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/29/sports/baseball/29rain.html?ref=baseball

marnold
October 28th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I was going to watch hockey anyway. On Monday I flipped between the World Series, the hockey game, and the football game (first half). I ended up watching the rest of the hockey game and switching over to football for the end. The series was boring me to tears.

The_Shredinator21
October 30th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Haha!:bravo: Take that rays:poke: Phillies win, its official!:dude:

just strum
October 30th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and pick Philadelphia.

tot_Ou_tard
October 30th, 2008, 09:23 PM
What *is* busbowl?