PDA

View Full Version : Valve Jr Noodling

duhvoodooman
October 22nd, 2008, 07:30 PM
Some of the recent discourse here about the Valve Jr. prompted me to start fooling around with the amp some. I took a tip from Tunghaichuan and changed out the tubes to see how I liked a different set-up. I took out the JJ 12AX7 preamp tube and installed a Westinghouse NOS 5751, a lower gain variant. I had a JJ EL84 power tube in it that was rated for early breakup and I replaced that with another JJ that was rated for more clean headroom. I made these changes because I wanted to hear the amp running in a "cleaner" mode. In my little back room, the only way I can open up the amp is to run it through the little L-Pad attenuator I have, and that's rated for 16 ohms, not the 8 where I run the amp, so I'm wary of cranking it way up for extended periods. So I figured why have the amp set up for maximum breakup, when I rarely run it that way?

I've been playing it with this new "cooler" tube setup for a couple of days, and it sounds GREAT! If I want crunch, I kick on one of my umpteen OD/Distro/Fuzz pedals. In particular, using the Marshall Guv'nor Plus with it hooked up to the 2x12 cab I have generates a very convincing mini-Plexi tone. The huge bottom end on that pedal really gives that 2x12 a stack-like feel and makes the Valve Jr. sound a lot bigger than it is.

I was listening to some old Cream clips on YouTube and came across the famous Crossroads live recording from the Fillmore East, which got me playing around with that. So I found a backing track for the tune, set up the VJr as described above and recorded a bit of the beginning of the song using my Epi Elitist LP Std. played through the bridge pickup, which is a Duncan Custom 5. Sounds pretty "big" for a little 5W amp with the volume set to about 8:30! Here's the clip link:

http://www.box.net/shared/qlr24xgz1s

M29
October 22nd, 2008, 07:59 PM
Sounding good DVM:AOK: Nice playing and nice tone. I just love my VJ, I couldn't live without it.

tunghaichuan
October 22nd, 2008, 08:53 PM
DVM,

Your VJ really nails that tone. Great playing as well.

My modded VJ is my main amp now. It takes pedals very well. I have mine set up similar to yours: 5751 for the preamp tube, JJ EL84 for the power amp. Mine does have the 125ESE swapped in for the stock OT.

I can't remember which version of the amp you have, is it version 1?

tung

Ch0jin
October 22nd, 2008, 10:30 PM
Just out of curiosity, was that recorded with a "real" Gov'ner Plus or a clone you built?

SuperSwede
October 23rd, 2008, 02:28 AM
Awesome tone DVM, sure sounds like something more vicious than a 5W epiphone amp! :R

duhvoodooman
October 23rd, 2008, 05:19 AM
My modded VJ is my main amp now. It takes pedals very well. I have mine set up similar to yours: 5751 for the preamp tube, JJ EL84 for the power amp. Mine does have the 125ESE swapped in for the stock OT.

I can't remember which version of the amp you have, is it version 1?
Yes, mine is the v.1 amp, so it has the bridge rectifier mod for the filament heaters. I also upgraded my OT to a Hammond 125ESE, as you did.

Just out of curiosity, was that recorded with a "real" Gov'ner Plus or a clone you built?
That's a "real" Marshall GV-2 Guv'nor Plus. All of the DIY stuff I've found is for the original version of the pedal, without the "deep" control the newer commercial version has--and that's my favorite feature of the pedal. Got a used one from eBay for $42 + shipping. :D

Tone2TheBone
October 23rd, 2008, 08:29 AM
Nice Voo. Thanks for emailing me the clip. That sounds really good with the G Plus. Good playing too! Algonquin just got one too so he's part of the club.

Algonquin
October 23rd, 2008, 09:28 AM
Awesome DuhVooDooBob! What a coincidink, as Tone just mentioned I picked up the Guv'nor pedal yesterday and am having oodles of fun with it.

Great Playing DVM :AOK:

tjcurtin1
October 23rd, 2008, 06:47 PM
Yeah, what a great tone! Nicely done DVM!