PDA

View Full Version : Aaaaaaaaaaaacckkkkkkkkk

333maxwell
October 23rd, 2008, 06:25 PM
Well, after taking some time away from my little hobby because I realized I suck, I have decided to get adicted again..

I never said it didn't suck..

Totaly from scratch song.. and it shows.. but I mean S-C-R-A-T-C-H

So toss me that much of a lifeline..

I present (for you to crucify) 'I Don't'

I Don't
lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6999893&q=lo
hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6999893&q=hi

SuperSwede
October 24th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Max, I have to admit that the first minute didnt appeal to me at all...

But MEIN GOTT (german) after that first minute the song really starts to shine... I love the vocals and the melody.

Very nice :)

Steve206
October 24th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Hey Max,

I liked the whole thing. Some parts more than others. Definitely has a lot of moves going on. I have to guess that this is done on the computer. Sounds like a lot of tracks. Am I hearing Beatles and Queen influences??

Steve

M29
October 24th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Hello 333M,

That was good, I heard a little Beatles in the verses and a touch of Queen in the lead, but best of all it was you:D Very nice indeed:AOK:

Nice tone how did you get the guitar sound? Software? Amp?

sumitomo
October 24th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Sounds cool to me,like Julian Lennon,with a little Frank Zappa.Sumi:D

333maxwell
October 24th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Max, I have to admit that the first minute didnt appeal to me at all...

But MEIN GOTT (german) after that first minute the song really starts to shine... I love the vocals and the melody.

Very nice :)

Thanks for your time Swede..

I realize the intro is a bit awkward by most any standard..

Originaly I intended it to be just a template begining for me to toss some exotic type sound and orchestra samples over, and then when I got to that point I figured I had created every last little thing from scratch I wanted to keep it totaly organic.. pending re-mix I think I will play some flute and clarinet type orchestra stuff for a few seconds of fade in, with a dash of violin.. however I haven't taken the violin out of the case in a long time, this may not be a great idea.. *G*.. I am wanting to put in an orchestra kind of crescendo (yet actualy intro) type thingamaig.. of course I don't even know how to say it in words, I probably wont be too much more sucesful putting it in music.. *L*

Thanks again my friend!

333maxwell
October 24th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Hey Max,

I liked the whole thing. Some parts more than others. Definitely has a lot of moves going on. I have to guess that this is done on the computer. Sounds like a lot of tracks. Am I hearing Beatles and Queen influences??

Steve

Steve, I would like to put some Beatle album influence type orchestra stuff in the begining, certainly there is room for that kind of influence in there yes.. \

And I guess everytime there is doubled guitar of this nature it does lend it's self to a queen type leaning.

However, and it absolutly doesn't show.. I failed miserably.. but I absolutly DID think of Queen and tried to impose a bit of his vocal waver into the second line of vocals..

I sir, am NO Freddy Mercury.. *G*

Thanks again for your ear and time!

333maxwell
October 24th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Sounds cool to me,like Julian Lennon,with a little Frank Zappa.Sumi:D

Julian Lennon meets Frank Zappa.. sounds like the makings of a good horror movie.. poor Frank.. *G*

Thanks for your time and thoughts!

Andy
October 24th, 2008, 03:21 PM
I'm digging it. I mean sure it may be a little rough around the edges being a rough mix/template and all. but the compostition is good and the guitar fits quite well . don't sell yourself short on your playing. I get a vibe from it even tho I'm notoriously critical about these things.

:AOK:

333maxwell
October 25th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I'm digging it. I mean sure it may be a little rough around the edges being a rough mix/template and all. but the compostition is good and the guitar fits quite well . don't sell yourself short on your playing. I get a vibe from it even tho I'm notoriously critical about these things.

:AOK:
Thanks for taking the time Andy..

If there is ONE thing I am good at it is 'rough' *G*

Appreciate the ear!

oldguy
October 26th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Hey Max,

Definitely has a lot of moves going on. I have to guess that this is done on the computer. Sounds like a lot of tracks. Am I hearing Beatles and Queen influences??

Steve

I'd wondered what you used to record/overdub myself. Mind sharing, or is it a trade secret? ;)

333maxwell
October 26th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I'd wondered what you used to record/overdub myself. Mind sharing, or is it a trade secret? ;)

I love talking shop..

I use a very frugal setup..

I use cakewalk pro9 (15 year old software) with a free vst wrap I found on the net so I can use other than ust direct X plugs that the original cakewalk would allow.

I get my audio into my laptop using one of these. http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-UCONTROL-UCA202-USBAudio-Interface?sku=702540

For my guitar I use one of these plugged directly into the laptop.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-X-VAMP-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor?sku=480732

For vocals I used a Shure 58 plugged directly into this direct into the laptop
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-TUBE-ULTRAGAIN-MIC100-Preamp?sku=182482

I use a $299 laptop I bought at Wallmart with a whopping 256mb of memory.

My piano keyboard is another Wallmart special, a $150 Yamaha with mid ins and outs, velocity sensitive.

All the 'sounds' such as Drums and Synth strings and Cello in this song started as me creating a midi file, then converting them into VST instruments that I found for free on the net. The drums I tap out the individual beats on the keyboard, record it into a midi file then use a free drum sampler I found on the net, and assign drum heads from free drum kits I found on the net (and it shows, my real weak spot).

Once I had my drums, Bass, Piano, Cello and Symph strings recorded into midi and turned into virtual instruments via VST I then went on to guitar.

The guitar was recorded one time through (except for the one over dub in the beggining of the solo swell) (although in many trys) using the same model amp, no FX (just added room verb to the whole mix at the end).
Once Ihad the main guitar recorded I then recorded the harmony lines.. again, one time through, but many takes to get it that way.

At this point my computer is sputtering and stammering, it keeps shutting down during takes and I lose that track.. it is getting frustrating, only two vocal tracks to go.. *crosses finger*..

To record the vocals (again, 58 into 29 dollar pre amp into computer) I recorded the vocals (again, I try and do everything in one take, no matter how many trys it takes) on one track, totaly dry. Then when it was done I recorded a second track of vocals trying to be exact to the original as possible (many many trys).

WHen I had both dry vocal tracks recorded I took the second track and moved it just slightly ahead of the other track.. giving it that cheesy spacial sound.

Once I had all the tracks down and mixed I then aded a room verb to each track simultaneously (big mistake) my computer took over 4 hours to render the final mix, and I thought I lost everything, which wouldn't of been too bad but I never saved the original when I started recording vocals, so I was a bit worried I was going to have to redo everything vocaly.

After 4 hours of whizzing and whirring, the computer finaly produced the mix and I was able to convert it to .wav and the .mp3 you hear now.

I hope this help explain what was going on in creating this song. My biggest hurdle was my laptop resources.

Here is a photo of my room, with the USB, modeler, mic pre etc.. for a visual into my trip..
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb258/333maxwell/guitar2.jpg

If there is anything you specificly want to know about (getting, using VST, more about the guitars or vocals etc, please ask.

Thanks for the interest.

333maxwell
October 26th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone who had a listen to the song.
As a result the song has placed #2 in the General Rock ratings at Soundclick over 33,000 other songs *whew*.

We all know this says nothing about the actual song it's self, but it says LEAGUES about my internet friends who took their own time from their day to give it a listen.

That means an incredible lot to me, and I am greatful to each and every one of you for your time. In this hurried world TIME is precious, and you shared yours with me.

Thank you.

oldguy
October 26th, 2008, 05:29 PM
333maxwell,
Thanks so much for the time you spent explaining your recording setup/process. I think more than just myself are duly impressed by the sounds you create. Your ability to do so with your setup is impressive to say the least. Good job my friend!:beer:

Justaguyin_nc
October 27th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Max max max...:)

I've always been a Maxwell fan...and this song keeps me one..
Enjoyed it and surely heard the beatles going into pepper land..

:beer:

333maxwell
October 27th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Max max max...:)

I've always been a Maxwell fan...and this song keeps me one..
Enjoyed it and surely heard the beatles going into pepper land..

:beer:

Thanks my friend, always good to hear from you.

I woke up this morning with the song at #1 in the general Rock category.

It says nothing about the song, but it does say I have some great friends on the net willing to lend an ear..

ANd again, I appreciate your ear/ears...

Thanks again to you and everyone.