PDA

View Full Version : Hey Mac guys !

ted s
October 24th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I have been meaning to do a clean install on my iMac, 3 years of clutter etc.. might be time.
The machine boots up to choose 1 of 2 accounts, me or wifey.
Where does the un-obvious stuff like mail messages, contacts, bookmarks and such live ? (for backup/restore purposes)
I plan on reinstalling as 1 rather than 2 accounts.

Any advise is appreciated.

thanks

sunvalleylaw
October 24th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I don't know. I never do that.

Gil Janus
October 24th, 2008, 11:30 AM
You want to do an Archive and Install type of installation.

It will perform an Archive of the previous System on your boot disk, and then install the system. There are several options available - read the following document first - all is explained - Mac OS X: About the Archive and Install feature (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1710)

Hope this helps. I've done this - all of the users and their files and the system settings are preserved - no need to copy them. The previous system is available to copy files that maybe needed for non-Apple related software. You could take a dump of this to a DVD if you are paranoid. :thwap: After that is done, you can reclaim the file space.

The only drawback, is the need for many gigs of space to install a new system. :poke:

Gil :cool:

markb
October 24th, 2008, 02:25 PM
This backs up all your personal stuff.

http://www.whimsplucky.com/Whimsplucky/BackityMac.html

ted s
October 24th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I have been using the built in time machine, so... I guess I should be able to copy the applicable stuff back in right ?

SuperSwede
October 25th, 2008, 01:04 AM
A totally fresh system usually works much better...

You can export contacts, ical and mail to files and keep them on a dvd or usb drive. Then just import them later.

ted s
October 25th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Thanks for the responses folks,
Hey Swede, for mail, are you referring to "archive mailbox" ?

SuperSwede
October 25th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Yup, but I have to admit that I never save any mail when I upgrade the OS or reinstall..

You can export a mailbox as a .mbox file and then import it when you have installed a new fresh OS.. but again, I have not tried this myself!

Contacts and iCal backups works like a charm, but if you have a iPhone or handheld device that syncs with iSync you dont need to backup your data.
Just sync the device after your fresh install.