PDA

View Full Version : For any Who fans out there

helliott
October 24th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Took my wife, son and his girlfriend to see them at Copps Coliseum in Hamilton Wednesday night. Didn't have huge expectations, fully aware of the criticism and their endless series of farewell tours. But they were in our town, and are on my son's list of acts you gotta see before they retire or check out.
Well, they blew my expecations across Lake Ontario and into downtown Toronto. Yes, they've certainly aged, and don't quite have the fire they did. But they still rock harder and with more passion and energy than many younger acts. Daltry's voice was very strong, though he doesn't have the range for some things -- his iconic scream on Won't Get Fooled Again wasn't strong. But he nailed all the other classics, Baba O'Reilly, Behind Blue Eyes, Love, Reign Over Me (not the right title, I'm sure), The Kids are Alright, See Me, Feel Me and others. Townsend's lead playing was shaky, but worked well, and his rhythm is as powerful and nasty as ever (custom Strat through a Fender amp farm and what looked like a Vox Tone Lab -- I have one). Pete's vocals are pretty much all growl, but again, they worked in the context. And his stage presence is still wonderful, moving as if he was 40 not pushing 70.
The band was great, especially Ringo's son Zak Starkey on drums, who did a very credible Keith Moon feel and added his own power and finesse.
There were a couple of new songs, Good Looking Boy and Tea and Theatre, which were also very good, especially the latter, which was just Pete and Roger on stage with an acoustic. Song's a retrospective about their lives together, just the two of them left now, what they've been through and the mutual affection that is quite apparent live.
All that would have been quite enough to make it a great night, but then throw in that they were probably the most gracious and appreciative performers I've seen (at least at their level). They repeatedly thanked the crowd for coming out, and Daltry closed the night with a short speech about how awesome it is that so many people would come out to see them after all these years.
Their performance wasn't geezer length either. From the opener to the encore (about four songs from Tommy, starting with Pinball Wizard) it was a solid two hours. We were wearing huge grins, and not because of the ambient pot smoke, and my son in particular was shaking his head in admiration and appreciation.
My point is, if this tour comes near you (and this does appear to be their last time around, based on the vibe from them that night), and if you have any interest at all, don't be put off by the geezer-rock stereotype. This is a damn fine show, period, and pays homage to some of the greatest rock music ever written in a very compelling way.

duhvoodooman
October 24th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Excellent review, Helliot! If they come to Albany, I'm THERE! :rockon:

sunvalleylaw
October 24th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I'd seem 'em for sure if they came around. Such an influential band, and I would love to see Ringo's son at work too.

ted s
October 24th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Great to hear Helliot, I was a big fan in my teens, still am.
I wish I could have went.

just strum
October 24th, 2008, 01:44 PM
They were my first concert (obviously different line-up) and it remains the best concert of them all.

Side note: When I started reading your initial post, I thought it read "Took my wife, and girlfriend to see..."

For a moment I thought "wow, lucky guy, he has a wife that allows him guitars and a girlfriend" Speed reading gets ya every time.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the concert.

sumitomo
October 24th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Sounds like it was a good show.I'd like to see them again,last time I saw them was L.A. forum Quadrophenia,I remember how loud it was,I put cig butts in my ears (new one's) and tried to calm a friend down cause he thought the forum was going to explode (to much LSD punch)aw yes the good ole day's.Sumi:D

Disraeli
October 24th, 2008, 03:57 PM
thats awesome. I tried to go see them in seattle, but i found out to late and they were sold out. They are pretty much near the top of my list of concerts I would love to see. Must have been awesome, my dad saw them in the 60's, before tommy came out, he said he doesnt remember much from it, (I wonder why that is) except keith moon was utterly crazy.

just strum
November 1st, 2008, 05:10 PM
I had to come back to this because I missed whether you noted who played drums. I was wondering if Zak was with them for the tour. I saw them on the VH1 Classic performance and I think Zak does a great job.

From Wikipedia

Early years (1977–1980)

At the age of eight, Starkey became interested in music. At ten, he started teaching himself how to play drums after receiving one lesson from his father, who reportedly did not want him following in his footsteps. Although Ringo praises his son's abilities, he said that he "always regarded Zak as a lawyer or as a doctor", not a drummer like himself.

Starkey received his first professional drum kit from his idol, childhood friend, and Godfather The Who's Keith Moon. The kit later sold at Sotheby's auction house for £12,000.[1]

By the age of 12, Starkey was already performing in pubs with a band. In his teens, Starkey was a member of a garage act, the Next.

[edit] The Who (1994–present)

Although Starkey had previously worked with John Entwistle in Ringo Starr and His All-Starr Band tours, he received his first opportunity to work with The Who in 1994, with Roger Daltrey in his "Daltrey Sings Townshend" tour. This tour developed from a two night performance at Carnegie Hall to celebrate Daltrey's fiftieth birthday, when he afterward recruited John Entwistle, Simon Townshend and Zak Starkey to complete a U.S. tour.

In 1996, Starkey left his band Face, to work with The Who on their Quadrophenia tour. He received very good reviews in this role for being a strong drumming presence but without explicitly imitating original drummer Keith Moon. Starkey was the full-time drummer for The Who beginning with their 1996 Quadrophenia Tour. Both Townshend and Daltrey stated that he is the best drummer The Who had since the death of Moon. He provided drumming for one track on The Who's 2006 album Endless Wire, and for two new tracks released in 2004 on The Who: Then and Now. However, he was unable to provide the drumming for the EP Wire & Glass or the album Endless Wire because he was on tour with Oasis at the time Townshend recorded the songs. Starkey worked with The Who on The Who Tour 2006–2007, which was to finish in Glastonbury in 2007. It finished at Hartwall Areena in Helsinki, Finland on 9 July.

According to Pete Townshend's official web site, Starkey was invited to become a full member of The Who, but he declined. Also the tour was supposed to continue till November and December. However, Starkey wanted to continue his work in Oasis, so declined a spot in the band and the touring plans had to be postponed.
“ Some of you may have noticed in one of my recent diary postings that I welcomed Zak into the Who as a permanent member. This is something he doesn't feel he needs or wants. Let's just say that the door is always open to this amazing musician, and — whenever we can — we will always try to make it possible for Zak to work with the Who in the future.[2] ”

On July 12, Starkey played live with The Who at the 3rd annual VH1 Rock Honors, celebrating the band's long career.