PDA

View Full Version : Gotta Brag on My Girl!

bigoldron
October 24th, 2008, 08:27 PM
As a PROUD Dad, I've got to share this. My 17 year old daughter (senior this year) has been in FFA since the 6th grade. If you knew her, you'd never picture her being in Ag, but she's done lots with it. She's even done a little welding, which is something I can't do.

Anyway, the bragging part. Last Spring her Floriculture team (4 girls), won the state competition, beating out much bigger schools (we're a SMALL town). This earned them a trip to the National FFA Convention which is going on this week in Indianapolis, Indiana to compete on a national level. They had their competition on Wednesday and Thursday, which included a lengthy written exam, plant ID, disorders ID, and floral arrangements.

They and their FFA Advisor was hoping for 16th out of 40+ teams. Carabeth called us earlier this evening when they found out the results and they placed THIRD IN THE NATION as a team! Carabeth placed SECOND IN THE NATION on the individual scores! One of our other girls placed sixth overall. Not too shabby for podunk little town in Southwest Georgia!!! :AOK: :bravo:

Anyway, the wife and I are totally pumped. I know I'm an old softy as she and I both were in tears when my daughter hung up. We've had the phone lines SMOKING ever since, calling everyone we can think of who knows our daughter and appreciates what she's done. She is so smart and we as so proud of her! Evidently, she takes after her Mama!!! :D

To anybody wanting to see her get the award, tune into RFDTV on Saturday at 1:30-5. I'll definitely be watching!!!

just strum
October 24th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Ron,

Congrats on something that you are very proud of your daughter accomplishing. However, what is FFA?:confused:

bigoldron
October 24th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Ron,

Congrats on something that you are very proud of your daughter accomplishing. However, what is FFA?:confused:

Sorry, I forgot that many of you are City Boys. FFA stands for Future Farmers of America. We're a small rural community and FFA has a lot of kids participating in it. It gets a lot of community support as well.

warren0728
October 24th, 2008, 09:34 PM
that's excellent ron....tell her congrats for me....you have a right to be proud! :bravo:

Tone2TheBone
October 24th, 2008, 09:46 PM
That's great news! Congrats to you and your girl!

Spudman
October 24th, 2008, 11:48 PM
That's awesome.:AOK:
Hopefully she wont be leafing home anytime soon. So many great career opportunities stem from events such as this though. Soon she'll be petaling her skills to good working partners and relationships will undoubtedly blossom from those connections. In no time at all she'll be rooted with a fine company and be staking out some turf in a metropolitan beheamoth. Most likely she'll probably forget all about her pea sized hometown.

(sigh) they grow so fast.

:)

mrmudcat
October 25th, 2008, 05:46 AM
That ia awesome brother!!! Tell her congrats!!

evenkeel
October 25th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Very cool. Huge Congrats!!! :master:

Thanks strum for asking the FFA question. Boneheaded city boys like me have no clue about stuff like this. But I do appreciate the honor.

piebaldpython
October 25th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Ron, congrats on your daughter's stellar work. That's awesome dude. :D
So, where does she want to go to college and what does she want to major in??
Thanks to Strum for asking what FFA was. :D I was sittin' here wondering that myself and I all that I came up with was maybe it was analagous to a 4H club. :rotflmao:
Being the proud papa, you earned the right to play Skynyrd all day long.

sunvalleylaw
October 25th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Congrats Proud Papa!, and of course to your daughter!

Katastrophe
October 25th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Ron, that's incredible. Congrats to your daughter for such a huge accomplishment, and congrats to you and Mrs. bigoldron for instilling in her a great work ethic.

:bravo: :AOK:

luvmyshiner
October 25th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Sweet Ron! Big kudos to your daughter, and I know y'all are proud.

Childbride
October 25th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Ron, congrats on your daughter's accomplishments.

give her a big hug for me. :D

you actually gave me a visual recall, the FFA...

when you would go into my grandfather's lumberyard, there was a four-walled entrance with two doors, on the left and right, into the main hardware building.

gram had pictures of my dad and my uncle with all of the cattle they raised in the program in the 50-60's on the walls going in.

you even evoked a smell of the lumberyard and a slanting of light through the windows.

thank you.

your daughter should be very proud of her achievements, as should you.

bigoldron
October 26th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Many thanks to you all for the kind comments. Little Bigoldron came home this afternoon about 3 and we had a large crowd waiting to welcome them home. I didn't take any pics, but one of the Ag teachers had a camera and got some, so I'll get a copy of them and post a couple for all to see.

Carabeth and the other girls were all still excited and so were we. I'm telling you, PROUD ain't EVEN the word for it! :D :bravo: :AOK:

peachhead
October 26th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I'm a little behind on this, but- Congrats!! It's great to see some home folks do good :D :bravo:

M29
October 26th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Congrats ron congrats to you, your daughter and family.

M

Brian Krashpad
October 27th, 2008, 05:25 AM
That rocks!

Good for her!

bigoldron
October 27th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I'm a little behind on this, but- Congrats!! It's great to see some home folks do good :D :bravo:

I'm not sure where you live in relation to Bleckely County, but they won the Ag Mechanics competition also. I also saw a couple of other young ladies from GA finishing in the top 3 in another competition, plus the new southeast region vice president is a young lady from Georgia. All-in-all, we were well represented.

street music
October 27th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Congrats to both of you as parents, and to the daughter also. I did see some of the awards being handed out on RFDtv. It's great to have a child of your own succeed in something that great. Success at that age will pay off big in college life.

The_Shredinator21
October 30th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Congrats Ron. You must be so happy.
I don't yet know those parental feelings of pride and joy yet since im just a teen so im happy for ya:AOK:

bigoldron
October 31st, 2008, 09:42 PM
Congrats Ron. You must be so happy.
I don't yet know those parental feelings of pride and joy yet since im just a teen so im happy for ya:AOK:

Thanks, Shred. If you're lucky, you'll get the opportunity. BTW, nothing personal on the Jonas thread. We're mostly a bunch of older farts and we like to poke a little fun at EVERYBODY when the opportunity permits. :D

Keep playing, son, we're proud that our tradition continues with kids like you and Pes. :AOK: