PDA

View Full Version : What would one of these be worth?

Kazz
October 26th, 2008, 04:05 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/c-martin/guitars/stangs-jag1.jpg

ran into one of these last night....looks just like the one on the bottom....64 Fender Mustang.

Just about the same condition, has character.....very narrow neck on it..

wingsdad
October 26th, 2008, 10:41 PM
According to Vintage Guitar Magazine's Price Guide (2008 ed):
The Mustang first came out in 1964.
Fender Mustang (64-65) in Excellent Condition: Daphne Blue (unfaded). : Low $1,650. High $2,200.; Dakota Red or Olympic White: Low: $1,525. High: $2,100.

Those were the only 3 finish options until 1969. So if that natural one in the photo, if a '64-68, had the original finish stripped off.

Kazz
October 27th, 2008, 05:09 AM
very interesting....no wonder I could not find any info on a natural finish for that guitar....and knowing the source...it really figures.

Thanks so much :-)

wingsdad
October 27th, 2008, 07:53 AM
So now, if a '64, that thing is worth nowhere near the VGM PG value range. It could be bought for a 'bargain' price by a good poker player and restored to resemble mint.

markb
October 27th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Lots of custom colour Fenders got stripped to the wood in the 70s. Daphne blue, Fiesta Red, et al were just soooo unhip. Sometimes they're so roughly stripped you'll find traces of the old colour in the cavities.

mmasonmusic
October 9th, 2009, 03:18 PM
If it is a early issue Mustang that isn't the original paint (which it isn't because natural wasn't a color offered), that would be on the lower spectrum of the re-sale price. More than likely was originally in Oympic White, as it has a tortishell pickguard.

If it's vintage you're talking around $1500 would be the value.

If it's a reissue with the paint stripped considerably less... say $500.

At least with the paint stripped you should be able to tell what era it is (if it isn't obvious).

The reissues are made of basswood, and the originals poplar. The grains in Poplar are more angular and pronounced.

Either way with some work they're great playing guitars.

Kazz
October 10th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Since this old post was dug up.....I will give an update....It actually was an original 64 guitar. the guy who had it got it from his dad who bought it new.

My mom was holding it as collateral on a loan.....eventually the guy came and got it back.....and a few days later got into some argument with his girlfriend and smashed the guitar. Some people are breathing in valuable air that would be better served elsewhere if you know what I mean....geez.