PDA

View Full Version : A / B' ing my Squire Deluxe "White Out" and HSS Hwy 1

Duff
October 27th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Using the "bassman" model on my Super Champ XD from my STVRAY model on my RP350 I just played the same compilations thru my Fender Hwy 1 with stock pups (the upgraded Hwy 1) including Atomic Hbucker and then played my new style white pearl Squire Deluxe with stock pups.

The Hwy 1, naturally sounds great. I played all switch positions with chords and leads and it sounded great. I then immediately, using the exact same settings, tuned up the Deluxe Squire and played the exact same song with chords as I did on the Hwy 1 followed by the exact same leads, all settings on guitar, RP and amp the same.

Summary:

The Fender Hwy 1 sounded deeper and more full with thick resonance and sounded very good. The hbucker sounded really nice but not like a JB, but real nice and kind of single coilish for a bucker, something like the SD "hot rail", " 'lil '59" and "JB Jr" on my "Black Pearl" highly modified Squire affinity strat I got for 25 dollars and is one of my best sounding guitars, period. The JB Jr bridge pup on that sounds mysteriously single coilish instead of like a full sized JB bucker. I'm sure this is a design feature to enhance the single coil sound that people like in strats.

Anyway, the Squire Deluxe "White Out" sounded fabulous with the duncan designed single coils sss configuration. In all positions it sounded crisper, not thin, very resonant, not as deep as the Fender Hwy 1. All of the tones were great on the Deluxe and not inferior to the Hwy 1, but distinctly different and clearer sounding with a different type of resonance, but warm and enticing in a special type of way. Of course the Deluxe Squire has a maple board and the Hwy 1 has a rosewood board and other design factors are different like the bridge saddles and tone circuit; the Hwy 1 boasting the "greasebucket" tone circuit. I think it is designed to give a deeper resonance to the sound.

A lot of people like the Atomic humbucker Fender uses but in my opinion it sounds really great but has nothing up on the JB Jr. single coil size JB humbucker from SD which sounds in my opinion better. I tend to like JB passive pickups and have used quite a few.

I want to experiment with a GFS set of the Premium Texas hot strat pups with the vintage output mid and neck pups and the hot bridge pup, all single coil. Hard to believe they could compare with the SD pups though. Also thinking about a set of GFS hot lead "lil Killers" calibrated for the strat 6, 10, and 14 K resistance. These would be humbuckers and probably not have close to the same tone as the Premium Texas Hot pups with the vintage mid and neck.

Any ideas on these GFS pups?

Hope someone likes my A / B comparison of the Squire Deluxe with the new style Hwy 1 HSS. The Squire Deluxe is definitely more crisp and has less deep resonance but resonates beautifully nonetheless, nothing thin about it.

I can see where some people compare the clean sound of a strat with the right pickups to the twanging sound of the telecaster. I noticed this with the Deluxe Squire but not with the Hwy 1.

Addendum:

I just tuned up my "Cherry Burst" and played the same series on it with the same settings and it sounded great. It is an '08 Squire Standard with cherry sunburst finish, probably changed somewhat from the old version. It sounded great in all switch positions and sounded awesome in the bridge position. I can see where this is probably the most traditional sounding of the strats I have and can see where some people will liken the twang in some settings to a telecaster, plus you get that nice whammy effect, nice and slow palming it like I like it. It sounded different frome the Deluxe Squire or the Hwy 1, but was not thin or lacking in sweet resonance. Some of the individual notes may not have been as smooth as on the other two guitars on the same switch settings, but nothing to complain about. I like the traditional staggered pickups on it and wouldn't replace them unless I put something staggered and traditional in.

Lastly I plugged in my "Black Pearl" 25 dollar '01 twentieth aniversary Squire affinity strat in gloss black naturally relic'd, been around the world with other previous owners and came to me a mess with one of the most beautiful necks you have ever seen with closely patterned horizontal flammed maple going all the way from the base to the headstock of the neck, like one quarter inch for each flame. Straight as a straight arrow. I put Fender schaller locking tuners on it and a black pearl pickguard and had the totally messed up wiring (the tone pots wore not working or grounded only the volume worked and the tones were wide open) fixed up and a new pot put in, by a tech for 14 dollars and salvaged the rest of the electronics which I may upgrade because it's worth it to me. New strings. The SD pickups I mentioned earlier.

I tuned up the "Black Pearl" and played the same sequences. Needlesstosay, the tone was superior and amazing in all five positions. The hot rail in the neck is really nice an smooth, despite what some may speculate, the 'lil '59 is great, especially in the middle position, and the JB Jr. is excellent in all positions with some smooth growl using the SRV setting and the Bassman on the SCSD, without even trying to make it growl. But smooth and great sounding with a hint of single coil sound in all three humbucking pickups. It has to be a design thing SD did to satisfy and mesmerize strat owners. The SD tech helped me refine my choice of individually picked pickups to put in this project guitar because I wanted to get maximum smooth strat sound with high output and pups that would be complimentary and produce nice 2 and 4 switch positions sounds. This combination hit the sweet spot and he said a lot of professionals use this pickup rig. He also offered some other suggestions. But I must say to those who doubt, the "hot rail" sounds fabulous in the neck position where the string amplitude is the greatest, super great.

The SD pickups do not sound like a traditional strat sound though, needlesstosay. They sound great and you can hear the shade of the strat in there, but the are a unique sound that is very smooth and very pleasant and worth the investment to someone wanting to get some great tone out of a strat, a tone that is slightly reminicent of the traditional strat sound but completely modern and still passive.

Again, I hope this addendum helps someone in some way that is thinking of trying to do a project strat that will come out sounding incredible.

Let me tell you the truth: many people are envious of that modest affinity strat I built up. Some can't believe their eyes and ears. I have offered to help them build up a project guitar for them if they want me to. I'll do it all, all they need to do is provide me the parts.

I don't know if my next project guitar will sound as nice because I'm thinking of using GFS pickups, but I'm hopeful that it will turn out quite nice. New antique white pearl pickguard, texas hot pickups, Wilkinson type Rondo tuners. Could be really nice. Time will tell. I need to start ordering some stuff but I want to go to the GC Thanksgiving sale and get there early. I think they have a special sale that is incredible for the first hour, in addition to the all day long sale. I picked up a brand new in the box Kustom Profile 1 new style PA last year with roller case for 199, normally 500. It's the molded plastic one with the 100 watts and the two drivers plus horn in each speaker and has an instrument input. Any way, a new project guitar is on the way. I just soldered my soldering iron back together after my BIG puppy six year old ex stud Newfoundland Dog I got free and had zero puppyhood but is experienceing it now, chewed up my soldering iron cord and my powerstrip cord. I soldered them both up and am back in business now.

I should be a guitar tech in my retirement. I have an aptitude for doing good work and an ear for what I think is good sound.

Duffy

Ch0jin
October 27th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Hi Duff,
Thanks for your post! I had to put my Maton in for a checkup so I've been forced to go back to my '89 MIK Squier Strat. A horrible guitar to be sure, but it has sentimental value so I can't part with it. I am very seriously considering upgrading it and/or modding it so I'm reading up as much as I can on Fenders Vs Squiers (then, not now) and what pickups and hardware I can drop in to make it less of a junker. I'm starting to think however that "upgrading" might turn into "replacing everything" based on what I'm reading.

In your comparison how much of the deeper tone do you attribute to the wood of the neck and body, and how much to the PU's? Also what was the weight difference between the Squier and the Fender? (roughly)

Duff
October 27th, 2008, 01:44 AM
The weight difference is definitely immediately noticeable. Being a former baker I can roughly estimate the weight of a pound quite closely. I'd say it is a few pounds lighter and thinner but a nice guitar.

I would say that the pickups and the one pot make all the difference in the sound which is incomparable difference. The stock arrangement was lacking any tone control and was running full out tones wide open. It sounded fair and played without a buzz.

The new pickguard, pot, and having it grounded with the wiring straightened out by a tech for 14 dollars fixed up the electronics so I didn't have to completely redo it. I put the Fender lockers on it because I already had them. The stock tuners were okay but a cheaper set of replacement ones like the Rondo Wilkinson lockers would be great. The pickups were 160 total and I got top of the line Seymour Duncans. You could get the whole set of GFS pups for the price of one of these and I bet they would sound nice. The humbucker single coil ones I got probably compensated for any shortcomings in the wiring section of the guitar. Hot overwound single coils would probably be like microphones to the wiring deficiencies in the guitar you have. I noticed this before. But pots and a switch are inexpensive. And if you take out the pickguard screws and put them in a plastic baggie and loosen up the strings so the tech can turn over the pickguard you can save yourself some money. Put it back together after the wiring is done and you are ready to go. I think I already had my new pickups in already so the show was on the road, so to speak.

I highly recommend fixing it up. I think my pickguard was 14 dollars and it was a Proline or something and fit quite well, couple new holes but no holes showing and looks fabulous. Picked it out and lined it up at the store, GC. Put the pups in myself and soldered them in. I could see that nothing was grounded as the only thing soldered to the top of the pots were my pickups. It was a job for a tech and it was cheap. 160 for premium pups, 14 for the pickguard, 14 for the tech work including parts, reused the strings. That was a bargain for a guitar that turns out to be one of my best sounding, feeling, and playing better than ones costing hundreds more.

Part of it is the sense of accomplishment and appreciation of the tone that you helped bring about, I'm sure. Music is metaphysical. Lots of factors go into appreciating it.

You can turn that guitar into an awesome guitar using GFS pickups if you want. I'd just make sure that it plays okay physically now, no excessive irremovable buzz, things like that. You can make an outstanding guitar. The pickups really made the big difference, as they should have.

Let us know what you decide to do.

I hope this encourages you. You don't need the best equipment in the world or the best guitar in the world to fix up a guitar and be a star in your own eyes. Think about those old bluesmen who didn't have much to begin with. Imagine what they had for guitars. I'm positive they didn't always have gibsons and fenders. They had free stuff and stuff they could get really, really cheap and they probably fixed them up with a great deal of ingenuity, using things like real animal bones that they found and carved, shims, glue, and other things, probably even a fair share of duck tape, if the truth were known. The things were probably an embarrassment then but would be priceless now.

Duffy

marnold
October 27th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Interesting posts, Duffy. It reminds me of my Floyd Rose project. Changing out the pups made a world of difference. It went from a guitar that I was constantly fighting to a guitar that was working with me. It's still never going to win any awards for fit and finish, but its problems in that area do not affect playability in the least. In my view, they add a bit a charm to it.

I'm one of those guys who likes the Atomic humbucker. I've toyed with the idea of replacing it with a JB, but since I like the Atomic, I haven't seen the need to spend the money. Some day I'd like to get a similar JB-equipped guitar and do some A/B testing.

Spudman
October 27th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Great review Duffster. That's some good information.:AOK:

Ch0jin
October 27th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Wow thanks for the info Duff!!

I'll keep ya'll updated as to what gets changed on the Squier and how it sounds. It has great sentimental value and I just want it to be worth picking up and playing. It has strong competition in the Maton I have though (solid maple body, set neck, Seymour Duncans, Grovers etc etc) and even though the logical part of me says "well the Squier was like $2700 LESS than the Maton so of course it sounds crap" part of me thinks I can give it a unique vibe that will make it hold it's own in my small stable. Before I heard of GFS I was just going to drop some SD pickups in it after hearing the awesomeness of the SH1 and SH4 in the Maton, but the fact that SD PU's cost more than the purchase price of the guitar slowed me down. With the cost of GFS parts though I can afford to try all kinds of crazy combo's (like 2 chrome covered humbuckers with a black pearl pickguard for some black on black action...)

Anyway...I'll let ya know. I'm also working on two FX pedals at the moment so I'll do a big photo shoot on the w/e with updates :)

tjcurtin1
October 27th, 2008, 05:51 PM
But...but...where are the sound clips! We need to HEAR the A/B demo!

marnold
October 27th, 2008, 05:51 PM
I would say that if you really like the guitar besides the pickups, what you spend on pickups is somewhat irrelevant. I spent $210 on pickups for my Floyd which I paid $149 for. Granted, the total was still less than the guitar was originally selling for, but now I've got a guitar that I love for the fraction of what I'd be able to get a similarly-equipped guitar off the shelf.

Having said that, I'm not going to poo-poo GFS pickups. Plenty of people think they're great. My point simply is that you shouldn't feel the need to rule out SD just on price alone--especially not if you already know that you like the tone of those pickups.

Duff
October 27th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I have a usb on my RP 350. I could use that but I don't think that would sound like the mic'd sound. I have a high quality mic and a Lexicon Omega. I could figure out how to do the clips on the Omega with the mic. Time consuming and learning curve.

I have already used the omega but it has been a while. It is something I need to make more use of. The Omega has an instrument input too, but it bypasses the amp and you don't get that nice Fender SCXD bassman sound coupled with the RP 350 bassman sound or SRV sound.

Straignt in with the Lexicon or RP 350 would be the easiest. I can monitor the sound with my PA out of the Omega. Might be close to the same.

I want to put new pickups in my Schecter Omen 6, the stock ones out of my Epi LP plus top, chrome covered hbuckers instead of the cheap Schecter bottom of the line open coil hbuckers. Any ideas on this swap out?

Think it will sound better?

Duffy