PDA

View Full Version : Schecter Stargazer

Glacies
October 27th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Very seriously looking at this thing. I can't decide if I think it's ugly or not, but I love it. It feels like it fits me better than anything else, the fretboard specifically is just easy for me to play on. Got some Serious GAS, but too bad there aren't many used around...

Any of you guys have one?

http://www.schecterguitars.com/hr.asp?id=289

marnold
October 27th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Black with maple and black block inlays is always a classic combination. I've never seen one in person, though.

Spudman
October 27th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I can't decide if I think it's ugly or not, but I love it.
http://www.schecterguitars.com/hr.asp?id=289

Decision made. You love it - get it. I want a review of that guitar. It looks awesome. I love the tail piece and overall look.

M29
October 27th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Do it do it:rockon: The Schecter's I have tried have been pretty nice.

M

Glacies
October 27th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I think I might.

I was walking home from my guitar lesson on Friday when my girl called. She asked how the lesson went and I said "good, but my guitar went out of tune 3 times in 30 minutes"

Her reply was "wow, I really need to get you a new one don't I?"

I took her to the shop and she mentioned that I looked really good with it.

I'll hold out for Christmas, and if she doesn't then I'll pick it up myself. I just need to drop the hint that if she buys it from the shop she should get a free setup on it and maybe weasel a free or discounted case out of the deal.

I wonder if sales have taken a hit with the current economic times in the US so they'll be more willing to work with us.

sunvalleylaw
October 27th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Decision made. You love it - get it. I want a review of that guitar. It looks awesome. I love the tail piece and overall look.

Ditto. That was what I was going to say. If it cranks your boat, get it. There were some Schecters in the store that used to be in Ketchum, and they were all great. This one was not in the store, but I personally love the look of it.

bigoldron
October 27th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Sweet ax, Glacies. If it floats your boat, then to heck with what anybody else thinks. Be sure to post some clips and a review once you've had time to get familiar with her.

stingx
October 27th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Reminds me of the most excellent song Stargazer by Mother Love Bone. God I miss that band and Andrew Wood.

tunghaichuan
October 27th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Nice looking axe, I like its styling. :AOK:

tung

markb
October 27th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Hmm, strat meets Ricky 650. Not a bad shape at all.

http://www.rickenbacker.com/images/650C.jpg

Glacies
October 27th, 2008, 06:58 PM
you guys are bad influences...

Spudman
October 27th, 2008, 07:24 PM

Oh no! :eek: You've figured us out.:beer:

bigoldron
October 27th, 2008, 08:00 PM

Hey, ya gotta have a hobby... ;)

sunvalleylaw
October 27th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Snicker, Snicker, maybe, but not really. My only point is if that is the one that calls you, go for it when you can in a way that you feel good about. I think that is better than jumping on a deal on a guitar you don't really want. :) The neck on my strat is what sucked me in, and also the tone. For you, you said this fretboard is just easy for you to play on and that you love it. I would say that sounds like the one to go for, when you can. Unless another one comes along before then. ;)

On the Hagstrom, I did not get to play it first, and I hate buying guitars that way, but I had done my research, and I got way lucky. Fits me extremely well, just like my strat. So to repeat myself, if after playing enough that you feel you know this is the one, well, you know the rest. :AOK:

player
October 27th, 2008, 10:32 PM
My only point is if that is the one that calls you, go for it when you can in a way that you feel good about it

might that be something like I feel with the Axis you sold me?SVL :AOK:
chime in anytime Spudman you were part of it. I thought

sunvalleylaw
October 27th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Glad you feel that way about it Player. It was a nice guitar too, and even nicer after Spudley worked on it for me. :)

Glacies
October 28th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Hey, ya gotta have a hobby... ;)

Yeah that's the problem, I have too many. And they're all expensive.

Glacies
October 28th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Snicker, Snicker, maybe, but not really. My only point is if that is the one that calls you, go for it when you can in a way that you feel good about. I think that is better than jumping on a deal on a guitar you don't really want. :) The neck on my strat is what sucked me in, and also the tone. For you, you said this fretboard is just easy for you to play on and that you love it. I would say that sounds like the one to go for, when you can. Unless another one comes along before then. ;)

That's the thing, my current axe is so bad, like i said before I had to retune it 3 times during my lesson and I wasn't even playing it that hard. At home I let it go out and don't fix it for a bit, it may be a cardinal guitar sin but it's such a pain. I'm taking this time to work on some chords and right hand technique.

....but so far, every weekend for the past 3 weeks I've been going to the shop and molesting the guitars, mostly the stargazer :D

Katastrophe
October 28th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Keep the current axe and use it as a test bed for learning how to solder and rewire, along with set up work. You could choose to change the nut and tuners to a better brand (this is often where less expensive guitars cut corners), and do so rather cheaply. You'd then have a decent 'round the house "beater" guitar, and wouldn't have to worry about damaging any others you may acquire.

That said, get the Stargazer. It's speaking to you, and feels good in your hands, so why not?:AOK: :D

BTW, I've played several Schecters, and have found that they are of consistent quality and play well!

player
October 28th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Glad you feel that way about it Player. It was a nice guitar too, and even nicer after Spudley worked on it for me. :)Absolutely sunvalleylaw it Is a nice guitar,thank Sir Spudley again for me. :AOK:

Bilsdragon
October 29th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I second what Katastrophe says about Schecters. My C1+ has a beautiful finish and hardware (Grovers & Tone Pros) It stays in tune perfectly and has sustain to die for. Not that I'd want to argue with anyone, but I think it's as good as a Studio for a lot less money. I say go for it.

Brian Krashpad
October 30th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I'm keen to see how you like it if you get one.

One person I can recall over on Harmony-Central has got one and loves his.

I think they're a cool design, obviously Ric-inspired without being a copy. Schecter very wisely used the shape for a few years on models that less resemble Rics to get their foot in the door, so hopefully Ric won't mess with them over these models now.

I've been very happy with my Schecter Tempest Special, fwiw.

Glacies
November 4th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I can't find these used anywhere. I was about to bid on one on EBAY but I think his reserve was set at retail. If anyone sees a black one used that they don't want for themselves, let me know.

Duff
November 5th, 2008, 05:51 AM
I have two Schecters; one expensive one and one inexpensive one. Actually I got the expensive, like 800 dollar one, brand new on a blowout at GC when I was looking for another Epi SG copy, none of which came close to the tone of my Epi "Sound of Rock" SG Standard 1966 Gibson coph. I was getting discouraged and couldn't find anything else in the store that I wanted, out of stock; then the salesman said I just HAD to play this Schecter E/A stereo he had which I was not really considering but once he brought it over and I played it it sounded so awesome that the sale price of 329 helped me forget the not so hot sounding Epi G 400 with no further delay. I bought it and have since put SD '59 in neck and JB in bridge.

Also my walnut stain Schecter Omen six was my first really nice guitar, relatively speaking. In fact I just put some great nickel plated humbuckers in it that I pulled out of a really nice new Epi LP Standard plus top. I upgraded the pups in the plus top. The Epi hbuckers sound awesome in the Omen six and I really like the great hbucker tone compared to the cheap stock ones that came in the Omen six. I can't believe how good it sounds.

I also like looks of the Stargazer.

I also got a blowout Schecter Stiletto 5 Elite five string bass that is neck thru and is the best sounding, feeling bass I have ever played. Probably the best looking bass I've played too. It sounds awesome with incredible tone and super build quality and has that "vibe" that picks "you" out, at least it picked me out.

Duffy

Glacies
November 19th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Does anyone know regarding the tailpeice on the Stargazer... would I be able replace it with a bigsby?