PDA

View Full Version : Home owner's insurance

Tone2TheBone
October 28th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I think most of us are going to get screwed if our stuff gets ripped off.

Some of us especially Spud will be SOL when it comes time to make a claim for loss of property in the case of theft or otherwise. Most insurance claims have a limit of payment which won't even cover my Marshall amp by itself! How many of you guys pay for supplemental coverage?

oldguy
October 28th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I don't but I should. Either that or sell a bunch of gear I don't play that often.
It's always a good idea to CYA though......

Tone2TheBone
October 28th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Good to see you Glenn! I'm gonna call our rep and ask what the maximum payment is on the supplemental because according to our standard policy it's only $1000 per incident. I think. I'll have to ask. I don't understand insurance policies.

sunvalleylaw
October 28th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Shoot, most of my gear is relatively low dollar, so I have not decided the extra premium is worth it. All told though, it would be tough to replace. I like to look over my policy every so often, and I guess I will before the end of the year.

marnold
October 28th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I don't have a problem with my inexpensive gear. My library is a different thing. I had to go with a company that specializes in clergy/church insurance because several companies I talked to wanted a massive rider for that. It's as if the very concept of a professional library was foreign to them.

Spudman
October 28th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I bought and installed 2 7mm gun turrets on either end of the house so I'm not worried about theft. :cool:

Tone2TheBone
October 28th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I bought and installed 2 7mm gun turrets on either end of the house so I'm not worried about theft. :cool:

You can still afford to buy 2 turrets even after all those guitar purchases? Gas must be cheap up in Idaho! :D

duhvoodooman
October 28th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I bought and installed 2 7mm gun turrets on either end of the house so I'm not worried about theft.
Mine fields are more cost-effective....

Katastrophe
October 28th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Mine fields are more cost-effective....

Yeah, but they're so....passive. Guns sound cooler, too. *scampers off, not wanting to start a 'guns' discussion.*

Tone2TheBone
October 28th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Yeah, but they're so....passive. Guns sound cooler, too. *scampers off, not wanting to start a 'guns' discussion.*

Yeah nothing like guns for more hands on approach.

SuperSwede
October 28th, 2008, 03:11 PM
You can also buy a large amount of french cheese and bury it in the garden...

No one will approach your house! (works great for mother-in-laws as well :D )

Ch0jin
October 28th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I imagine this conversation going down at Spudmans place..

HICKS (err Spudman)
This is all we could salvage. We've
got four pulse-rifles with about
fifty rounds each. Not so good.
About fifteen M-40 grenades and
two flame throwers less than
half full...one damaged. And
We've got four of these
robot-sentry units with scanners
and display intact.

He opens one of the scorched cases, revealing a
high-tech servo-actuated machine gun with optical
sensing equipment, packed in foam.

Tone2TheBone
October 28th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I imagine this conversation going down at Spudmans place..

HICKS (err Spudman)
This is all we could salvage. We've
got four pulse-rifles with about
fifty rounds each. Not so good.
About fifteen M-40 grenades and
two flame throwers less than
half full...one damaged. And
We've got four of these
robot-sentry units with scanners
and display intact.

He opens one of the scorched cases, revealing a
high-tech servo-actuated machine gun with optical
sensing equipment, packed in foam.

I love that movie!

I could always put this sucker up too...

just strum
October 28th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Good to see you Glenn! I'm gonna call our rep and ask what the maximum payment is on the supplemental because according to our standard policy it's only $1000 per incident. I think. I'll have to ask. I don't understand insurance policies.

Are you referring to strictly theft or any loss including through fire.

Spudman
October 28th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I think theft is the only thing you need a rider for. When I got my house they asked me the value I wanted to insure my personal belongings for and I pre-calculated the guitars. I'm not completely sure but I think in a fire everything would be covered.

Tone2TheBone
October 28th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Are you referring to strictly theft or any loss including through fire.

I think it's strictly theft. There's a grand total for replacement cost but I think that's for a total loss. Hell I don't know I don't understand these things. I still gotta call our agent or rep.

t_ross33
October 28th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Can't stress it enough. I work in the restoration industry and clean up fire and water damage. Insurance works a little different here in Canukistan from what I've gathered, but the basics apply.

Are you covered for FULL REPLACEMENT, PARTIAL REPLACEMENT (to a maximum or predetermined amount) or ACTUAL CASH VALUE?? - big difference.

Saw a case where one family renewed their policy without upping their coverage - hey their broker thought he was doing them a favor keeping their premiums low. :thwap: The real estate market took an upswing increasing the value of their property, but they renewed based on their old assessment. Then they had a total-loss fire.

Long story short, what they had coverage for was no longer enough to cover the cost of cleaning up the damage let alone repairs to the house, replacing contents and belongings etc. Not sure how they made out in the end, but it wasn't pretty.

just strum
October 28th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Can't stress it enough. I work in the restoration industry and clean up fire and water damage. Insurance works a little different here in Canukistan from what I've gathered, but the basics apply.

We had our attached garage catch on fire (gutted) with two cars, lawn tractor and a lot of men yard toys (tiller, chain saw...) and insurance covered every penny.

Damaged part of the interior, but mostly smoke in the interior.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/House/Yard/Fire/Picture207.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/House/Yard/Fire/Picture208.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/House/Yard/Fire/Picture205.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/House/Yard/Fire/Picture173.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/House/Yard/Fire/Picture172.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/House/Yard/Fire/Picture166.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/House/Yard/Fire/Picture165.jpg

Kids, don't play with matches.

t_ross33
October 28th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Ooo... I've seen that before. Check out the heat stress on the grill of the SUV :thwap: I'm guessing the vehicles were written off as well?

Glad things turned out OK with your claim - you obviously had the necessary coverage in place. :AOK: Hate payin' the premiums, but when you need it... well, you really need it.

One would be surprised to find out what the replacement value of contents/belongings really is - even something as mundane as clothing can run a family into many thousands of dollars - and I'm talking run of the mill, everyday clothing, no boo-teek stuff.

Ch0jin
October 28th, 2008, 10:51 PM
I prolly would have blurred your plates if you kept them. Just saying :)

And for T2B, Aliens is one of my all time favorites too. I don't know how many times I've said "I say we take off, nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure" when people make the mistake of asking me what we should do.

tunghaichuan
October 29th, 2008, 08:01 AM
And for T2B, Aliens is one of my all time favorites too. I don't know how many times I've said "I say we take off, nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure" when people make the mistake of asking me what we should do.

Aliens is one of my favorites too. :dude:

Hudson (Bill Paxton): "Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?"
Vasquez (Jenette Goldstein): "No. Have you?"

tung

Tone2TheBone
October 29th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Haha I think Bill Paxton's character is hilarious.

"Maybe you haven't been keepin' up on current events but we just got our asses kicked, pal!"

He's got some great one liners in this film.

"Stop yer grinnin' and drop yer linen!"

"Is this going to be a stand-up fight, sir, or another bughunt?"

My personal favorite quote when I'm talking to someone is to say..."we're in the pipe....five by five" (drop ship pilot Ferro).

Holy cow those burned garage pictures scared me! Glad you got compensated for that and no one got hurt Strum.

just strum
October 29th, 2008, 10:42 AM
One would be surprised to find out what the replacement value of contents/belongings really is - even something as mundane as clothing can run a family into many thousands of dollars - and I'm talking run of the mill, everyday clothing, no boo-teek stuff.

When we started adding it up, we were surprised.

The SUV was originally going to be totaled, but they ended up repairing it. Body work and gutted the interior.

The Camry was totaled (only interior smoke damage). They gave me a check and then I bought the car back from them for $200.

The fire was discovered about 4:30 AM and we got the kids and the dogs and went out the front. I looked in the window of the garage and it was all smoke, 2 minutes later it went up in flames. Never figured out what caused it.