PDA

View Full Version : Blow whistle blow

Steve206
October 28th, 2008, 05:42 PM
http://www.box.net/shared/65gnuoqjj9

It was late 1973 and I went to a party on Siesta Key, off Sarasota's coast. Some friends were giving the party at a house that they rented from a lady named Kay Von Schmidt. One of those artist types who could afford to live on the beach.

There were local celebrities in attendance, in the form of a lady DJ from the local FM station. A friend and I were exploring the house when I found a 12 string in a bedroom and picked it up. I played a few chords that I had been working on and my pal was surprised that I could make the sounds. In walked the lady DJ and asked me to put the guitar back where it was. I did as asked and wondered if she had heard the chord progression, as I thought that it was pretty nifty. No joy there.

Later that evening, I ended up at a campfire in the backyard, with a crowd of folks sitting around. There was a dude playing a guitar and an older guy sitting next to him and they were talking about music and chords and tunes. The guy with the guitar was a local performer, just starting out, learning as many Eagles tunes as he could muster. The old guy next to him was the ex-husband of the lady who owned the house. His name was Eric.

I did not know this at the time that I asked if I could play a tune. This was a first for me and must have been alcoholically fueled as I attempted to play the Jonathan Edwards tune, "Sunshine" and ended up breaking the G string. I pretty much slunk away from the party and only later realized that it was Eric Von Schmidt at the fire.

One of those guys who kept the country blues going by bringing a version of it to newer, younger, whiter audiences. I heard that he showed a few things to a young Dylan in the early NY coffee house days.

Anyway, he wrote this song and I enjoy having the memory of the fire and the lesson of not picking up other instruments in houses that you do not live in.

Everything is in open D.

Steve

warren0728
October 28th, 2008, 08:10 PM
cool story and cool tune....i spent some time partying at siesta key and the surrounding area myself many years ago....

oldguy
October 29th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Nice, laid back song and good vocals, too.:AOK:
Thanks for letting us have a listen.:beer: