PDA

View Full Version : Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat clips

Spudman
October 28th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I recorded a series of clips so that you could get an idea of what the CV 50s Strat can sound like.

In this one I start on the neck pickup then move through all positions to the bridge pickup. Then the second series moves back from the bridge to the neck.
http://www.box.net/shared/6siz9naqel

This is the CV 50's Strat playing a bouncy blues tune going through all positions in random order.
http://www.box.net/shared/dbkx7vx0qk

sunvalleylaw
October 28th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Pretty good sounding guitar, but who is that wank playing? ;) Sounds great of course. :AOK:

Tone2TheBone
October 29th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Someone please email me the clips!

oldguy
October 29th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Mmmmm............nice!
Great sounds and very tasty playing, Spud.
I really enjoyed the bluesy clip, nice job!:bravo:

ShortBuSX
October 29th, 2008, 09:16 AM
This is the CV 50's Strat playing a bouncy blues tune going through all positions in random order.
http://www.box.net/shared/dbkx7vx0qk

Nice improv over Im Tore Down!
Ive been working on Freddie's riffs...but I envy you!
Very nice!:beer:

Oh yeah...and the Strat sounds very nice too!

SuperSwede
October 29th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Nice sounding strat! Bridge pickup sounds really cool :)

Tone2TheBone
October 29th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I'm listening to what I think is the first clip. Those pickups have clarity. They really cut through nicely. That's the way the pickups are on the CV Tele too. They cut with clarity. Nice sounding clips Spud.

Edit: Thanks to Algonquin for sending them to my work so I could listen before I got home. Spud - what amp did you use for recording? The clarity of your recording is really good.

Spudman
October 29th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Nice sounding strat! Bridge pickup sounds really cool :)

I did a little wiring change and hooked the bridge pickup to the second tone pot and now run the middle pickup without a tone ala Kenny Wayne Shepherd. It works great and really tames the high end on the bridge just enough. I also really like the middle pickup more now.

Spud - what amp did you use for recording? The clarity of your recording is really good.

Behringer V Amp Pro on a plexi patch with some compression.

ShortBuSX
October 29th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I did a little wiring change and hooked the bridge pickup to the second tone pot and now run the middle pickup without a tone ala Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

I like that you give KWS the knod for that one and not Jimmy Vaughan:whatever:

BUt can I ask you how low youve got your middle pup set?
Not that I can hear it, Im just curius where youve decided youre comfortable at?
Cause Im at about 5mm showin and she still sounds hot, not as hot as the bridge used to...but enough that Im considering going lower still, although I dont want thin and hollow either, so I was just curious...and sorry to jack your thread with this question.

Robert
October 29th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Nice tones and nice playing, Mr Potato!

I dig that bridge pickup too.

ZMAN
October 30th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Intesting clips. Your CV now sounds very Tele like. I can really hear the Alnico 3s. Mine with the standard wiring is very Stratlike. Of course it could be my set up and my amps and pedals. I really have a mid boosted almost hummbucker tone, ala Clapton and Buddy Guy.

Tone2TheBone
October 30th, 2008, 02:00 PM
The CV Strats are Alnico Vs though right? I agree with Zman though because those recordings make the pickups sound very Alnico IIIs. That's why I made the comment on the clarity. I love the sound of A IIIs. I wish I had a Strat with pickups like that.

Tone2TheBone
October 30th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Wow just did a quick search on the CV Strats and the pups ARE Alnico IIIs. Where can I get some of those pickups?

sunvalleylaw
October 30th, 2008, 02:35 PM
The CV Strats are Alnico Vs though right? I agree with Zman though because those recordings make the pickups sound very Alnico IIIs. That's why I made the comment on the clarity. I love the sound of A IIIs. I wish I had a Strat with pickups like that.

The 60's CV had Alnico Vs I believe. The 50's has the IIIs, as you already figured out.

Spudman
October 30th, 2008, 02:43 PM
The 60's CV had Alnico Vs I believe. The 50's has the IIIs, as you already figured out.
You are correct sir.:)

Tone2TheBone
October 30th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Who's gonna be cool enough to sell their set to me then? Hmm? :D

M29
October 31st, 2008, 08:49 AM
Man I almost missed this. Great comparison through out the positions. Awesome playin Spud:AOK:

M

Guitar-Chris
October 31st, 2008, 08:50 AM
I did a little wiring change and hooked the bridge pickup to the second tone pot and now run the middle pickup without a tone ala Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

I did it the same way (only one cable has to be re-soldered) and it fits perfect for me. I can roll back the hights a little, when playing distorted sounds (about 7 of the scale). The middle pickup has a punchy but not to sharp sound so it can be used very good vor rhythm-chords.

After all, still the squier CV is an almost perfect strat.

sunvalleylaw
October 31st, 2008, 09:02 AM
I suppose it is as always with pups a subjective thing, but you guys that have them, why did you choose the 50s over the 60s? I guess because my strat has Alnico V's with just a little more midrange and warmth, I was drawn to the 60s strat over the 50s in the clips I viewed. Just curious.

This was the guy I was watching, and he got both.

1a1m9wrjddo

Spudman
October 31st, 2008, 09:29 AM
The middle pickup has a punchy but not to sharp sound so it can be used very good vor rhythm-chords.

After all, still the squier CV is an almost perfect strat.

Absolutely. Great guitar and the middle pickup sounds much better without the tone pot attached.

This was the guy I was watching, and he got both.

If you read his posts on another forum he prefers the 50s Strat as well.