PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play sax?

Glacies
October 31st, 2008, 07:43 AM
My father was a really incredible saxophone player, and when he died a few months ago, I took one of his saxophones home with me. I had a moment looking at it last night and decided I wanted to learn to play for him. It looks like a difficult instrument to learn but I'm in no rush, I'm hoping I can find a good book to use somewhere. Any suggestions? I have no woodwind experience.

pes_laul
October 31st, 2008, 09:25 PM
I played sax in 5th grade but then I quit band at the end of the year (I really regret it) You can probably search online or at a local music store (meiyer music is good) and pick up a basic beginner book to learn your notes and fingerings.

sunvalleylaw
October 31st, 2008, 11:17 PM
Sorry to hear about your Dad. My Dad is a great sax player, both Alto, and still able to blow a Baritone in his mid 70's. I do not know how to play, or how to start, but I sure like sax melodies and lead lines as inspiration for the guitar. My brother's 11 year old kid started sax this last year, and basically picked it up and just started blowing it, then joined the school band. I wish you luck in pursuing it yourself.