PDA

View Full Version : New guitar day poll

ShortBuSX
October 31st, 2008, 12:06 PM
How long do you keep the clear plastic on the pickguard?

I may give it a day or as long as a week.

But Ive got 2 buddies that keep theirs on till it looks blistered...and then they still leave it on. To a point where they almost freak if you go near it.
One of em has got the idea that "its still new, so long as its got the clear plastic on it...no matter how bad it looks."

So how long do you leave it on?

I know its such a non issue :thwap: but Im just curious for some reason.

Glacies
October 31st, 2008, 12:17 PM
I'll tell you when I get a new guitar :p

marnold
October 31st, 2008, 12:21 PM
I've only had one guitar with a pickguard on it. I kept the plastic on until my 45 days for returns to MF were over. Then I yanked it off. People who permanently keep the plastic cover on pickguards are like old ladies who keep the plastic on lampshades.

bigoldron
October 31st, 2008, 12:55 PM
I've only had one guitar with a pickguard on it. I kept the plastic on until my 45 days for returns to MF were over. Then I yanked it off. People who permanently keep the plastic cover on pickguards are like old ladies who keep the plastic on lampshades.

Or plastic slipcovers on sofas. I've only had one with the plastic on the pickguard, but hey, since I bought as a second on Ebay, it lasted about 5 minutes. If I had a real decent one, I'd probably leave it on for a few days until I was sure I wanted to keep the guitar, in case it had issues or whatever.

At the rate I'm going, it's probably NOT going to be an issue, eh, Strum? :D

sunvalleylaw
October 31st, 2008, 12:56 PM
My first electric was used. No plastic. The second, the Hagstrom, the plastic was peeling a little, so off it came immediately. My original acoustic kept its plastic a week or two.

Spudman
October 31st, 2008, 01:01 PM
People who permanently keep the plastic cover on pickguards are like old ladies who keep the plastic on lampshades.
Or put the plastic over their hair when going outside - or put vinyl covers on the furniture - ...well you get or drift.:D

I leave it on until I am sure it's a keeper. Usually a few days till I've had time to play it and check everything out. I do like to keep the film on LCD screens as long as possible though. Once those get scratched it's all over cause you can't get the scratches out.

ShortBuSX
October 31st, 2008, 01:03 PM
People who permanently keep the plastic cover on pickguards are like old ladies who keep the plastic on lampshades.

Or plastic slipcovers on sofas.

It doesnt really even look that cool :rotflmao:

It looks kinda gross...think burnt peeling skin.

sunvalleylaw
October 31st, 2008, 01:13 PM
Then there were the clear plastic covers on bench seats in 60's sedans and wagons. Reminds me of the kids house in Time Bandits where everything was covered in plastic.

Plank_Spanker
October 31st, 2008, 01:41 PM
It comes directly off as soon as it gets home right along with any stickers.

LagrangeCalvert
October 31st, 2008, 02:12 PM
It comes directly off as soon as it gets home right along with any stickers.

Word to ya motha! +1 spank!

warren0728
October 31st, 2008, 02:15 PM
i take them off right away....they bug me....especially when it starts to peel a little....

sumitomo
October 31st, 2008, 02:42 PM
And I thought the pickguard was getting bad,It did have plastic on it so that would make it 15yrs.Sumi:D

WackyT
October 31st, 2008, 02:59 PM
I take it off immediately. I think it looks tacky to keep it on.

just strum
October 31st, 2008, 02:59 PM
I take all plastic off immediately. The longer it stays on, the harder to get off. The white Squier Strat I had was a plastic nightmare - pick guard, pick up, knobs.

I haven't had but a few new guitars, so it isn't a constant issue.

Plank_Spanker
October 31st, 2008, 03:01 PM
I've seen guitar players at gigs with guitars that still had the sticker and film over the pickguard..................sort of like driving around a year with the dealer spec sheet taped to the back window of a car.............cheesy. :thwap:

ZMAN
October 31st, 2008, 03:41 PM
I bet those guys have their toys still in the original boxes and keep comics with a backboard and plastic wrapper.
They are hoping that they can sell them as "unused with the plastic still on the pickups. " I have gone through that stage myself. I have the original box for a shotgun I purchase in the 70s. My wife thinks I am crazy and I recently threw out a basement full of cardboard boxes for crap I didn't even have any more. It is a problem with the "collector" personality. I am currently in a 12 step program.

just strum
October 31st, 2008, 03:45 PM
I am currently in a 12 step program.

Are you referring to the next 12 guitars?:poke:

LagrangeCalvert
October 31st, 2008, 04:12 PM
I bet those guys have their toys still in the original boxes and keep comics with a backboard and plastic wrapper.

Now you've gone too far..... cause that IS ME! :thwap:

I collect and stuff :beer:

But guitars are a different story.

TS808
October 31st, 2008, 06:19 PM
Mine are gone right away....and taking that plastic off is a real pain sometimes.

I usually get rid of it immediately, followed by the factory strings, and then I set up the guitar to my liking.

oldguy
October 31st, 2008, 07:21 PM
I remove it as soon as I know I'm not sending the guitar back.
Two people at the local guitar shop (salesmen) told me it can adhere to the pickguard and cause discoloration or checking if left on in hot weather.:thwap:

evenkeel
October 31st, 2008, 07:29 PM
I have never bought a new guitar. Never gave it much thought until this thread.

pes_laul
October 31st, 2008, 09:18 PM
until I figure out it has a plastic cover on it

Gil Janus
November 1st, 2008, 12:09 AM
I ensure everything is working, wait a few days, and then take the plastic off - if I didn't, it would remind me of my mother's furniture - always covered in plastic - she would even buy new plastic covers when the old ones got too "yellow" :thwap:

Mothers, you have to love them :bravo: :master: :beer:

Gil :cool:

Dauntless
November 1st, 2008, 06:04 AM
Same as every one else, for the most part.
Make sure everything is fine, if so, strip strings, strip plastic, restring, setup.

Brian Krashpad
November 1st, 2008, 08:56 AM
It goes within a day or so of getting it home.

I bought a 90's MIM Strat in a pawn 4 or 5 years ago that still had the plastic on the pickguard. :confused:

It's cool enough if you're buying after someone else who's left it on.