PDA

View Full Version : Calling all amp techs

Radioboy950
October 31st, 2008, 01:25 PM
Wondering what might be going on with my tube amp.
Lately, when flipping on the standby switch, I get some a crackle & pop. Noise quickly goes away, and it seems to operate just fine otherwise. I did a complete re-tube, set bias, cleaned power tube sockets…noise still there when powering on.

Previous to the tube change, my 6L6GC’s were shot (microphonic, humming and rattling) and the bias was all goofed up with drifting.
Hope I didn’t do any damage running it this way til I got the new ones in.

Could it be just a bad/dirty standby switch?
Should I clean all the pre-amp sockets too?

Any thoughts (before I have someone take it apart on their bench) ??

AMPH is a 2005 Rivera Quiana 112 combo (2-6L6GC, 5-12AX7s)

tunghaichuan
October 31st, 2008, 02:03 PM
Do you have a set of tubes to swap for the ones in it?

What brand of tubes are in it now?

The crackle makes me suspect a flaky solder joint. I would inspect all the joints around the power tube sockets and the preamp tube sockets just to be sure.

You might take a look at the standby switch as well.

tung

Wondering what might be going on with my tube amp.
Lately, when flipping on the standby switch, I get some a crackle & pop. Noise quickly goes away, and it seems to operate just fine otherwise. I did a complete re-tube, set bias, cleaned power tube sockets…noise still there when powering on.

Previous to the tube change, my 6L6GC’s were shot (microphonic, humming and rattling) and the bias was all goofed up with drifting.
Hope I didn’t do any damage running it this way til I got the new ones in.

Could it be just a bad/dirty standby switch?
Should I clean all the pre-amp sockets too?

Any thoughts (before I have someone take it apart on their bench) ??

AMPH is a 2005 Rivera Quiana 112 combo (2-6L6GC, 5-12AX7s)

Spudman
October 31st, 2008, 02:09 PM
I just had an almost new set of preamp tubes go south. I was getting popping and crackling noises. Swap yours out and see if the problem goes a way. Even new tubes can be defective.

warren0728
October 31st, 2008, 02:16 PM
i think it's beyond repair....send it to me and i'll see that it gets disposed of properly....just trying to help.... :AOK:

sumitomo
October 31st, 2008, 02:38 PM
No you need to send it to me to dispose of cause I have a hazard disposel lic. its #86.No really how do you like that amph,cause a guy round here is selling one.Sumi:D

Radioboy950
October 31st, 2008, 02:40 PM
Do you have a set of tubes to swap for the ones in it?

What brand of tubes are in it now?

The crackle makes me suspect a flaky solder joint. I would inspect all the joints around the power tube sockets and the preamp tube sockets just to be sure.

You might take a look at the standby switch as well.

tung

Tung,
Got my tubes from "Doug"...JJ's , which I've always found to be rock solid.
In the preamp:
Sovtek WB
Penta AX7
Penta AX7
Sovtek LP
Sovtek LP

But just to clarify, the noise is there only momentarily at the flip of the standby switch. Still does it after swapping tubes.

Radioboy950
October 31st, 2008, 03:02 PM
how do you like that amph,cause a guy round here is selling one.Sumi:D

This is a cool 2-channel tone monster, great for all styles of play. Magnificent blackface/tweed cleans with gain boost, bright and notch ...great crunch on the overdrive side with gain boost. At 55w, It's friggin' LOUD! Vintage mode cuts it in half though. And you can plug a cable into the FX send/return to bring it down to bedroom levels for noodling around.

Radioboy950
November 5th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I just had an almost new set of preamp tubes go south. I was getting popping and crackling noises. Swap yours out and see if the problem goes a way. Even new tubes can be defective.

Found the culprit...in V4 (reverb slot). Not only was this little bugger causing the crackling, it also produced a constant hiss or wind-like noise that I didn't care for. Swapped it for a much quieter 12AT7. Guess I need a super-quiet tube there. :AOK:

duhvoodooman
November 5th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Glad to hear you got it fixed. I see a lot of recommendations for using 12AT7's in tube reverbs.