PDA

View Full Version : Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb - nice tone

Robert
June 11th, 2006, 10:01 PM
I played one of these - a 22 watt beauty, at a rehearsal the other night. I have played them before, and I'm always so impressed by this big clean tone this relatively small amp pumps out. I love it. Its clean tone beats my current amps, hands down. The sound just jumps out out of the speaker like a bat outta hell. Some people say you can even improve it with a better speaker, not sure how valid that statement is - it already sounds great and the speaker in it is a good one - it's a Jensen Ceramic 12 inch speaker.

It has a fantastic reverb, nice and lush, and the vibrato is nice, not the best out there but good.

If you are looking for a good low wattage tube amp that you can gig/jam with, check this Fender out. I think it's a fantastic amp.

The Epi Valve JR is super cool too, but it's on the weak side for gigging and it's got no clean headroom.

Algonquin
December 31st, 2007, 09:28 AM
Any Fretters here using this Amp?

I'm just browsing the infinate number of choices out there and would be interested in hearing some more feedback on this amp.

I found this clip that does a good job of showcasing the amp, as well as the RC20 pedal and a nice Tele as well.

oFky8OFJIfg

:beer:

markb
December 31st, 2007, 04:07 PM
I've played through a few Deluxes but never owned one. I had a silver face Vibrolux Reverb for years but never got to turn it up enough with the bands I played with, 35 watts can get very loud. They're fantastic sounding amps with great tremolo and reverb and take OD pedals wonderfully.

If you're looking for a Deluxe, the Princeton II and Deluxe II from the Rivera era of Fender amps are basically a Deluxe with some bells and whistles added (iffy overdrive and an effects loop), they can be found for reasonable prices and are PTP construction.

tot_Ou_tard
December 31st, 2007, 06:02 PM
Nice clip Algonquin!

Spudman
December 31st, 2007, 07:20 PM
I've got a bunch of Mark's video clips. I like what he does with his looper.

The Deluxe is the be-all kick butt small Fender gigging amph if you ask me. I've never heard one sound bad. Kenny Wayne Shepperd used 2 of them cranked when I last saw him. They were behind a plexi shield. Hard to believe that little sucker can get so loud and also fill a room without bothering people. A versatile amph for sure, but no Children Of Bodom or Slayer.:rockon:

Algonquin
January 2nd, 2008, 06:41 PM
Well there don't seem to be too many of these being traded in the local papers, and the couple I did see weren't what I'd call 'Mint' condition and were still looking for a sizeable amount of $$$.

I saw a new one at the nearest shop today during lunch, but the amp room was occupied, so no luck giving it a listen to. I called another shop that I've done business with a couple times lately and they have one in stock at a better price. I'm going to have to go for a drive and give it a look.

street music
February 23rd, 2008, 03:56 PM
I have a Fender Princeton 65 that I lucked into last year, it has a really fantastic reverb and great on clean too. I run my guitars through my Zoom pedal to this amp and can get enough to blow the wife out of the house, of course it could just be my poor playing too.

Jimi75
February 24th, 2008, 01:04 AM
The DLXR is currently pretty high in my wish list.

Mark Wein put up some video in this thread. Maybe he can procure some more clean clips.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=6008

hubberjub
February 24th, 2008, 07:36 AM
The other guitar player in my band uses a telecaster through a Deluxe Reverb. They are an outstanding amp. They are reasonably clean at lower volumes but they start to sing when you have them cranked up. For 22 watts they are loud. They're a good value too. It's also cheaper and much more portable then a Twin.

ZMAN
February 28th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I jsut purchased one before Christmas. They have come way down in price up here in Canada. I have several tube amps but this is the sweetest sounding amp I have ever played. When I first plugged it in and played my Gibson ES335 through it I was in tone heaven. It was the tone I have always wanted to achieve. I have a blues Deluxe Reissue which sounds very nice but there is just something about those 22 watts that sounds sweeter. I also have Blues Junior special editon with the Jensen speaker in a Brown Tolex. It has a great tone for a small 15 watt amp but sometimes can sound a bit boxy compared to the 65.
I have a slight problem with mine though. It has a slight glassy tone, and I think one or two of the brand new 12ax7s has gone harmonic. I am a little disappointed after only a couple of months. I called my tech today and he says to drop it by and he will throw a couple of new tubes in it. I have never gigged this amp and it went from the box to my music room.
Other than that it is an amazing little amp.

hubberjub
February 28th, 2008, 04:19 PM
All Fender amps ship with Groove Tubes which I don't really care for. They are kind of generic. Not being an owner of a Deluxe (just a fan) I can't suggest any specific replacements. I'm sure other members on the Fret would be happy to.

Jipes
February 28th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I played one of these - a 22 watt beauty, at a rehearsal the other night. I have played them before, and I'm always so impressed by this big clean tone this relatively small amp pumps out. I love it. Its clean tone beats my current amps, hands down. The sound just jumps out out of the speaker like a bat outta hell. Some people say you can even improve it with a better speaker, not sure how valid that statement is - it already sounds great and the speaker in it is a good one - it's a Jensen Ceramic 12 inch speaker.

It has a fantastic reverb, nice and lush, and the vibrato is nice, not the best out there but good.

If you are looking for a good low wattage tube amp that you can gig/jam with, check this Fender out. I think it's a fantastic amp.

The Epi Valve JR is super cool too, but it's on the weak side for gigging and it's got no clean headroom.

One of my friend which is a guitar player near Nashville told me that thoses are really wonderful amps. He tried a Fender 53 Tweed Deluxe 1959 and has felt in love with that particular model apparently one of the best tone he ever met ;)

Robert
February 28th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Yeah, this is a sweet amp stock, but can be improved further with better tubes and better speaker. It's a wonderful amp. I should have one!

Spudman
February 28th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Yeah, this is a sweet amp stock, but can be improved further with better tubes and better speaker. It's a wonderful amp. I should have one!

Either that or a Prosonic.

ZMAN
February 28th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I am not upset with the amp in stock trim, I am upset that it is already needing new tubes. The reason I bought one was that I had a friends for about a month. He bought it and hadn't even unpacked it yet. He had to go into hospital so he asked me to try it out. His had no problems at all, but mine sounded glassy right out of the box. I will ask my tech if I he can put better tubes in it when I take it in. It still sounds amazing but it has this glassy undertone when I hit certain notes.

Spudman
February 28th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Zman
That sure sounds like a power tube issue. Pull a couple from one of your other amphs and see if the problem goes away when you exchange them.

ZMAN
February 28th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Spudman I will let my tech do that. I am totally paranoid when it comes to amps. I know it is probably a simple thing to do but it is only a couple of months old. I have lots of backup and I am 20 mins from the shop.
I just have to work it into my busy schedule. I will go after hockey tomorrow morning. I know I only have a 90 day warranty on the tubes and I will have to do it sometime, but I have not had to touch any of the tubes in my amps and some are 5 years old.

ZMAN
March 1st, 2008, 11:59 AM
I just got an email from my guy and he said to drop by anytime next week and he will put new tubes in for me. He said it will take about 10 mins. I can't tell you how well this place treats me. As far as I am concerned this guys walks on water! I will have my beloved 65 back running sweet. I could go on forever about the type of service I get from this guy.

ZMAN
March 3rd, 2008, 04:14 PM
I just got back from the Shop and it took all of 10 mins, and that included warm up and testing and replacing the two bad tubes. He will put a claim in to Fender for the tubes. They were bad from the get go. It makes a real difference in the tone.