PDA

View Full Version : The Mystery Beatles Chord has been cracked by a mathematician

Robert
October 31st, 2008, 09:42 PM
"It’s been a hard day’s night
And I’ve been working like a dog"

The opening chord to A Hard Day’s Night is also famous because for 40 years, no one quite knew exactly what chord Harrison was playing.

But a math guy figured it out.

Read it all here - http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/10/how-a-professor.html

Spudman
October 31st, 2008, 11:51 PM
Forum raider.;)

You'd better have this along with it then.
http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1718612

Gil Janus
November 1st, 2008, 12:04 AM
It was in my RSS reader - I got around to reading it late in the evening - we were working in the yard and cleaning the driveway in preparation for the future white stuff that will want to bury us :thwap:

It was a very interesting read - I downloaded the article that the news item comes from :AOK:

I love the Acknowledgments :canada: -

This article was partially support by a grant from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada
And the quote from George Martin :master: -

it shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records
I recommend everyone download the article, it is only 5 pages long (a PDF).

Gil :cool:

Duff
November 1st, 2008, 02:33 AM
Inconclusive. I'm not convinced by the math solution.

Music is dynamic and I am an amateur, but I can understand what George Martin said. Even George Harrison didn't completely understand the so called chord because he didn't know what McCartney played on the bass.

I can accept it as just another stop on the "Magical Mystery Tour". Imagine some of the things they played later during the psychedelic years. No one will ever figure some of that stuff out, even though they might think they have. It's like George Martin said. He knew what was going on. Vibes, classic vibes, real classic vibes, probably irreplicable.

Duffy

Brian Krashpad
November 1st, 2008, 09:01 AM
It was in my RSS reader - I got around to reading it late in the evening - we were working in the yard and cleaning the driveway in preparation for the future white stuff that will want to bury us :thwap:

What is this "white stuff" of which you speak?

:confused:

:poke:

warren0728
November 1st, 2008, 09:08 AM
What is this "white stuff" of which you speak?

:confused:

:poke:
must be sand.... :rotflmao: :pancake:

Duff
November 1st, 2008, 08:38 PM
Have you ever been to Northfield Falls, VT?

Maybe you have it "made in the shade", but around this time of the year if you live in the shadow of a mountain, big mountain, you are going to feel the breath of the Great White North breathing down your neck dude. It's a chilling experience. You wouldn't want to be an old burned out wino passed out somewhere overnight. They'd be picking you up like a 4 X 8 in the morning. Happens all the time, saddly enough.

How does 40 degrees below 0 degrees sound? Not 40 degrees below freezing (32 degrees F), 40 below 0. You need to be prepared for that and where Gil lives you have mountains that squeeze the moisture out of the clouds moving East in the form of snow. Lots of snow.

I know you guys are just kidding. I've seen sand down by Appalachacola, whole dunes that look just exactly like pure white snow. I'll take Florida. My girlfriend wants me to move down there but I think she will freak out and make me sell most of my guitars and amps when she sees them, but she is as beautiful as a flower and gentle as a down filled quilt, haven't had an argument in seven years. More than I can say for my wife I'm separated from. She argues at the drop of a dime and is a hair trigger, colder than Northfield Falls in February. Maybe that gives you an idea of how cold Northfield Falls gets and stays.

Mighty beautiful place though. I grew up in Lake George, NY and Northern Minnesota. Seen ice over three feet thick on lakes and rivers. Semi tractor trailers drive across plowed roads across the ice in Minnesota, between bridges, saves miles but can be dangerous, very dangerous.

Florida sounds mighty nice to me up here in Pennsylvania and this is nothing like Northfield Falls whatsoever.

I know you are just jesting but you might not know how really cold it gets. A lot of people, unfortunately, die in it every year.

Duffy

bigoldron
November 1st, 2008, 08:50 PM
Well, Duffy, maybe you ought to listen to that girl friend of yours and head South! There's lots of white sandy beaches along the Gulf Coast and very little ice and snow (except for Iced Tea or Hawaiian Shaved Ice or Margarita's). I don't see any reason for you to have to sell your babies either. If you need to in order to help you move, I'll be more than glad to store a few for you. ;) :D

I'm only a couple of hours away from Panama City and Appalachicola, so you could come visit your guitars whenever you wanted to. :rotflmao:

Duff
November 1st, 2008, 09:13 PM
This woman is special and I wondered last night when I listened to some John Lennon song if I'm not making a serious mistake by not moving down there asap.

Her 16 year old son is one of the best guitar players I've ever heard much less played with. I jammed with him a few times, I play drums fairly well, blues style and rock, and he is a blues artist, studied Delta Blues and knows more about Delta Blues than anyone I've ever met and has mastered many of the bluesman techniques both on his Guild acoustic and Fender MIM strat. His father died when he was like one and I would not be a father figure but would help him out as much as you can, know what I mean? The woman has been single basically for over 15 years with some shaky live in boyfriends along the way, you know the story, woman beaters, etc. She doesn't want to be alone anymore and we have been friends and romantic for a long time and she thinks we can make it work. Lives in a nice section, real nice high rent section of Fort Meyers, not far from the beach, like one mile.

I can't find a way to move on with my life. Never thought it would be a problem. It's something you have to live to understand, or be totally confused by, like the Blues dude, like the Blues. I can really pour my soul into my Blues tunes now, not bragging, just telling it the way it is. It's soul man, it comes from your heart, deep in your soul and makes it sound better.

Like that video on Youtube of Eric Clapton and Ringo and them playing, "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" after Harrison died. I don't think Clapton ever played that song more soulfully. You have to look it up. It will be right there under the song title in the video section. They have basically the same band welcoming Ringo and George on stage to sit in for the song, probably not long before Harrison died by the looks of the set up, and they probably all knew the dire situation. Ringo is in both videos and they are both great, but that one after Harrison died and Clapton pours his soul into that weeping strat your heart goes out to them.

Duffy

bigoldron
November 1st, 2008, 11:27 PM
Sounds like she deserves a good man in her life. She's definitely paid her dues. Sounds like she's done a really good job raising her son.

Any big transition takes a lot of soul searching and thinking through. It's not like buying another guitar. If you feel like you're the man for her and can treat her the way she needs to be treated, then I'd have to say go for it. It sounds like your head's on right about her son.

Ultimately, it's a decision that you've got to live with. Whichever way you decide, go with it. We'll be praying for you to make the right choice. Good luck to you, brother!

Duff
November 2nd, 2008, 01:29 AM
You are able to connect with what I'm going thru and I think you have a good handle on it.

It is rough, but I have to move on and it is something that I'm denying.

I think I'll go listen to that John Lennon song that got me thinking last night. I'll get back with the title. It is about making a choice. Might be in, "Watching the Wheels".

Duffy

Robert
November 2nd, 2008, 08:44 AM
Duff, I hear you. I have done big transitions in my life - moving from Sweden to Canada, leaving all my family behind. However, if an opportunity comes up to make a positive change in your life, go for it. I have never regretted what I did.

warren0728
November 2nd, 2008, 09:25 AM
I have never regretted what I did.
neither did all your family in sweden.... :poke: :rotflmao:

seriously man....i say go for it....florida is a pretty cool place (although it does get unbearably hot in the summer) and the ft meyers area is nice....

kiteman
November 2nd, 2008, 04:21 PM
http://audiotuts.com/web-roundups/7-unexpected-moments-of-guitar-awesomeness/

"While my guitar gently weeps" from the george harrison tribute in this link plus few other awesomeness. :)

Duff
November 2nd, 2008, 05:11 PM
That was awesome and Prince was awesome.

Check this one out. It's the one I was talking about with Clapton, McCartney, Ringo, a special guest, and others. It's a heartbreaker man, you gotta check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC1EZcrZEIs

That was the tribute.

This one is with Harrison probably not long before the cancer got him, some of them must have known:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aLLHFSM7i8&feature=related

Think of the mystery sounds in that dueling guitar solo run with Harrison and Clapton.

You'll like these too. Thanks for the Prince one.

Duffy

kiteman
November 2nd, 2008, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the links. I haven't seen 'em. :)