PDA

View Full Version : Vox AD30DT Blues

t_ross33
June 11th, 2006, 10:59 PM
no, not THOSE blues...

Looking for some feedback from anyone who gigs or has gigged with an AD30DT. I've had mine for a few months now and really like the tones I can get out of it. Couple of downsides I'm finding:

Our band covers a wide variety of musical styles from all periods (well, 50's onward :rolleyes: Johnny Cash to Green Day, Hank Snow to the Ramones) and I like the convenience of a multi-effect/modelling pedal. Wish I could save more presets in the Vox so I wouldn't have to tweak settings as much.

I also notice that at stage volume (30W with the master at 2 or 3 o'clock) the sound gets kinda harsh/thin. I'm mic-ing it to the PA, should I be bringing the level up in mix rather that running my amp flat out? Or is a 30W 1x10 undersized/underpowered for med. to larger venues? We've typically been playing halls that hold 250 to 500+.

We're trying to keep our stage volume down to a reasonable level, but you know how it goes with drummers and bass players - gotta FEEL that beat :D

I like the portability of the AD30VT, but maybe need more punch. My local music store is bringing in one of the new AD120VT head/cabs...maybe, just maybe...:D but then I'd have to lug even more gear (our drummer sets up in 1/2 the time I do :o ).

Maybe I just expect too much out of too little - LOL!

duhvoodooman
June 12th, 2006, 08:40 AM
I own an AD30VT, but I don't gig with it--strictly a home player. But here's a couple of comments based upon what I've picked up at a couple of excellent Valvetronix user sites, Valvetronix.net (http://www.valvetronix.net/) and Patchtronix.com (http://www.patchtronix.com/):

That change in sound you're referring to (sounds great at lower volumes, not so great cranked up) can often be caused by something called the "Fletcher Munson effect", and is caused by how the human ear distinguishes different pitches at different volumes. There's a "regular" in the user forums at both of those sites I mentioned who goes by the ID "Voxman", and he's very knowledgeable about this stuff. I'm quite sure he can give you some good advice on how to adjust your amp's settings to give a better tone. That said, the AD30VT is a small amp of limited power, so you can't expect miracles. But hopefully, you can get a much better result than what you're hearing now.

As far as the lack of presets goes, that's just an innate limitation of the AD15/30/50/100VT series. If you want more presets--as well as a couple of more amp models and a lot more effects flexibility--then the AD60/120VTX combos or the AD60VTH head would be the way to go, though they're (unsurprisingly!) much more expensive. Voxman can tell you all about those, too. He gigs with a 120VTX combo along with the VC-12 foot controller and an additional Vox 2x12 speaker cab. Quite the rig....

aeolian
June 12th, 2006, 09:14 AM
I also have an AD30VT and it sounds fine but it can be quirky. One problem is I have is that some of the effects modes (I run the amp in manual mode) are very noisy (hissy), especially in combination effect modes with 2 effects at the same time. Does anyone have any cure for this?

t_ross33
June 12th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Thanks DVM! I'll check out those forums. Not expecting miracles, just trying to do the best I can with what I got (and what I got is a limited budget :( ).

Oh, WRT the lack of presets, not a big issue. It is an amp after all (how many channels can you switch on a Marshall after all :p ). Would be cool if you could scroll through the factory presets with a footswitch, tho. I currently save my favorites in CH1/CH2 and use the second button on the footswitch to select Manual mode instead of Effects On/Off, thus getting to a "Clean" channel and utilizing my RP-80 when needed.

t_ross33
June 12th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Hey aeolian,

You should be able to clean up the hiss by setting the noise suppression feature. I believe this setting can also be saved in your CH1/CH2 preset so you don't have to tweak it everytime.

M29
June 12th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Hello All,

I find that my ad50vt is a bit bassy, I used it outside the other day and got to turn it up a bit from my usual setting in my study and it kind of has a muffled bassy tone to it that I tried to cut with the bass control but did not help much. I boosted the treble and the middle to help but I was just not that happy with it. It does seem to sound pretty good on the 2x12 setting. And when I want distortion the Bad Monkey drops in to help.

M29

Robert
June 12th, 2006, 09:10 PM
It has a boomy bass the 50, I agree. I haven't tried mine with a external cab, gotta try that and see what happens.

t_ross33
June 12th, 2006, 09:53 PM
dvm, thanks for the links to two great Vox sites. found a couple threads dealing with exactly what I'm experiencing. Whew! It's not just me! Two things to try: first is just a simple repositioning of my amp so it isn't so "beamy" (new phrase picked up on the patchtronix.com site :D ) and adjust my tone settings to take out some of the harshness at higher volumes. Should keep my drummer happy. He's happier when his ears aren't bleeding. Second, and farther down the road, look into a speaker upgrade (as discussed here and on the sites you mentioned). That speaker cloth upgrade looks mighty sexy too....;)

Seems cheaper/easier than investing in a new amp or amp/cab rig, tho an upgrade to the "gold series" Valvetronix may be in the cards someday :cool:

Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted.

Trev

M29
June 12th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Hello Robert,

I wonder if the amp was put up off the floor on a milk crate or nice Vox chrome stand, maybe that would help to relieve some of the bass.

Have you tried this yet?

M29

Tim
June 13th, 2006, 04:03 AM
Taking the VOX ADxxDT off the floor will make a big difference in the sound it produces. Also do not place the amp close to a wall. The wall will echo and enhance the boominess.

M29
June 13th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Hello Tim,

Thanks for the input on putting the amp up off the floor. I know in audio systems anytime you put a speaker near a wall or similar opject you get a reinforcment of the lower frequencies and I thought this might be what is happening. Good to get confirmation with this amp thanks again.
I love the thing otherwise but it just seems like I cannot get the muddyness out with the tone controls. I am anxious to try that out off the floor now, it is handy though setting right where I can reach the controls from the computer chair. Hmm.... Maybe I need to get out of this chair more often now that I am thinking about it.
I don't use the amp out of the house much, mainly in this small room we have our computer in so anytime I can get it out somewhere I get excited about trying the thing out.

Thanks again Tim

M29

Tim
June 13th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Hi M29,

I am glad my information helped. I am new to guitar playing and I normally ask for information. Giving information feels just as good as receiving a reply from a question asked.

Now about that “small room” with a computer. Sounds like it should be called the studio. All you need to do now is start recording. Check out the threads under “Home Recording”.