PDA

View Full Version : a new prodigy

Childbride
November 2nd, 2008, 12:54 PM
yesterday, my first lesson ran late...

ran home, grabbed dog, guitar, and gear,

then drove south to see gram.

late afternoon, my stepmother arrives with her mother and my 23-month-old step-niece.

i had been playing my augusta, and after putting her down to give hugs hello, i sit back down and start strumming.

step-niece looks up from chasing katie around the living room in wonder.

watching the personality/intellect of a small child develop is a truly fascinating thing. i've let her 'touch' my guitars before, but she's been so young thusfar that this was as far as i was comfortable going with that.

i cocked my head at her, thought a bit,

lay the guitar down flat in my lap. strummed again.

eyes wide, she came over, looked in my face for permission,

then tried to strum too.

the intent concentration in watching and mimicking my hand movements was fascinating. since she could only manage the faintest of strums, i tried the august rushian fret tapping method.

this she picked up with far greater success. before long, we were playing duet.

then she amazed me.

while i was working on trying to make different sounds come for her via fretboard, she cocked her head and started experimenting with muting strings.

i nearly missed my dinner date with my mother, i was so entranced in the musical painting we were creating... ran to put the guitar safely cased in the bedroom, and left for town.

came back; much more patriarchal family had arrived, and i sat while they ate and visited with them.

afterward, out comes the guitar again. now my step-brother and his wife are there, proud parents for her advanced performance.

i try a new trick... i strum with a pick, then hand the pick to her to try. it takes a few attempts, then it catches. her jaw drops open and she says 'oooooOOOOhhhh...' looks at the pick in her hand with awe, carries it flatly on her hand to my stepmother like it's the Pick of Destiny.

she showed off all she had learned, stopping for interludes where she would turn around, hands clapping, inviting everyone to applaud for her, then giggling with glee when they did. then back to her music.

then it was time for family to leave, and i swooped her into my arms and carried her back into the bedroom... sat her down on the bed next to my open guitar case, and said to her very solemnly...

"you and i are Sisters in the Music now. we will play together again, when i come back. so i'm going to give you something very important, and you can't lose it."

i dig in my case [she watches with fascination] and grab an RGG pick, b/c it's red and sparkly.

"this is yours now, ok?"

man, she carried that thing out of the house in her fist like she was never letting go.

i'm going to have to practice even harder now,

so i can learn to help my 'lil sis' grow. :D

street music
November 2nd, 2008, 01:48 PM
CB, that is a great story. Glad to see a young one take an interest in music.

evenkeel
November 2nd, 2008, 03:52 PM
Nice story CB. :)

BluesHowler
November 2nd, 2008, 04:21 PM
I was very moved by your story. Your niece is blessed to have an Aunt like you and you will learn so much about music guiding her to learn.

tjcurtin1
November 2nd, 2008, 08:18 PM
The ability to mimic is the true developmental strength of young children, and really is the way they learn everything in their early years - that's why it's so important that they have good role models in the adults around them, so that they do not grow up copying inanities... Models of good speech are important for the same reason. Nothing better than wanting to copy musical behavior! Singing is so important too, and so neglected nowadays! Good work:AOK:

Kazz
November 2nd, 2008, 08:56 PM
That is so awesome.......My Hanna bear does the same type of stuff....we actually picked her up a first act child size guit because she was always enamored with my guitars....she gets it out now and then and tries to play....mind you she turns 3 in about 2 weeks.....I will silently encourage this behavior as long as it wants to blossom :-)