PDA

View Full Version : How do you learn scales?

Robert
June 12th, 2006, 11:49 AM
I am curious to hear, how do you/did you learn scales? Patterns, positions, arpeggios, playing one string at the time, etc?

I am trying to figure out how to best explain how to use a scale.

My big tip is - INTERVALS. It's what powers my approach to improvising.

jpfeifer
June 12th, 2006, 12:01 PM
The way that I learned scales was by learning the finger patterns for each one, memorizing them one-at-a-time. When I first learned my basic scale patterns, I didn't know the CAGED system yet, but in hindsight I think that the best way to learn scales is by first understanding the CAGED system. From this you can see how there are 5 different ways that the fretboard is arranged by root notes. Then you can learn how any scale maps onto the CAGED pattern, making 5 different positions for any scale. I think that this helps to visualize each pattern if you know how it maps to the C position, A position, and so on. If you can visualize where the root notes of each pattern are then it helps you to memorize it.

But to really know a scale takes more than just memorizing the patterns. One of the best ways that I've found for getting a scale down is by playing sequences through it (repeating patterns that progress through each scale tone).

-- Jim

Tim
June 12th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Mine is really basic right now. Presently all I know is the Major & Minor Pentatonic and Blues scales, Box #1 (1-4, 1-3, 1-3, 1-3 1-4, 1-4). I am just beginning to venture into Box #2.

I have attempted the Major (7 note) scale but loose concentration on the fingering. Time and practice should help me learn the Major and Minor 7 note scales.

As mentioned: I have a hard time with the second and third chord progression. This too shall pass.

Katastrophe
June 12th, 2006, 01:04 PM
I learned the patterns for the scales up to the 12th fret. I learned about intervals, building chords, arpeggios, relative majors/minors and the modes and how it all relates back to the major scale along the way. In between, my teacher would at first play, then had me learn/transcribe to tab songs that illustrated those concepts.

He kept saying to me, "Practice the patterns. One day all this stuff is gonna make sense."

Then one day, it did. I had one of those "lightbulb turning on above the head" moments. Not that I suddenly became a better player then (not by a long shot), but I finally had a fundamental understanding of what was going on as my fingers stumbled across the fretboard.

When I would screw up in class he'd say, "Don't worry about it. You meant to do that, right? Playing jazz again?:D "

Seriously though, learning the patterns was easiest for me, because all I had to do was know what key everyone was in, and I instantly knew what scale patterns to play without thinking about it very much. As we went along we worked on intervals, and different notes to land on for different effect, etc.

Robert
June 12th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Hey Kat, what did you mean by this?
then had me learn/transcribe to tab songs that illustrated those concepts.

Katastrophe
June 12th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Robert -

I don't know how to read music. So, my teacher had me learn the songs by ear. Near the end of my lessons my teacher had me transcribe a couple of songs to tablature (minus the solos - they were a Dokken song [George Lynch] and Racer X [Paul Gilbert]). When I would learn a song, we would discuss what key was in (usually E minor, it is, after all, rock n' roll), and what the guitar player was doing in the solos.

When I got done transcribing the songs, he took the tab that I had written and tried to play it as it was written, comparing it to the song. Good times, I tell ya!

blogan
June 12th, 2006, 03:44 PM
My problem is that I come to guitar after years and years of piano. Scales and chords fall naturally under my hand on the piano, so I find myself thinking in terms of the piano and the translating to the fretboard. Learning the fretboard is making the possible.

I guess for me it's like learning a new language. I still think in my native language and have to translate before I can speak. I'm looking forward to when I can "think in guitar." I suspect it's going to take a lot of time and practice.

Fortunately, some things are a lot easier on the guitar (and others are a lot harder...).