PDA

View Full Version : I left early at the jam due to sudden rage...

Robert
November 3rd, 2008, 04:16 PM
http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/7490f7a42bcab3.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=766)

We have heard this before, but I had it happen last week and I got frustrated. This guitar player dude is hosting the jam, and he's really a nice fellow. Problem is, he loves hearing himself play - way too much! Also, he doesn't play rhythm - he's playing lead fills and licks while the singer is trying to sing the verse or chorus!

So I go up with my friend, who is an excellent bass player and vocalist. I love playing with this guy - he is super talented and has released several albums. A pro guy for sure. So the guitar player asks if he should go up so I say, "up to you". Big mistake. I shoulda said heck no! :thwap:

The lead noodling around starts immediately, and at a loud volume of course. My friend is trying to sing but get these out tune guitar notes in his face and he looks at me with a politely disgusted face. Then I get the chance to play some blues solos, my friend gives me the nod, and of course the other dude is trampling all over with his licks and squeeks. I look at him with a grumpy face (I can only imagine, I was furious) and I turn up a bit so I can hear my solo. What does he do - play louder of course. Then he wants to do a guitar duel thing... Oh my goodness. I nearly strangled him right then and there...

My friend the bass player leaves after 2-3 songs, politely saying he needs a break. I suffer through a few more tunes, but that's it.

Has this happened to you? Now I remember why I don't always have fun at jams. The guy is a nice fellow, it's just that he should be a bartender or something instead.

Okay, rant over - just needed to get that out of the system - carry on! :D

Spudman
November 3rd, 2008, 05:28 PM
Hmmm. Something about this sounds familiar. I ran a guy off that was doing the same thing at our jams. He could play but had crappy tone and played over everything and played no rhythm at all. So I know where you are coming from.

It sucks when you get all fired up to go play because it's what you love to do and somebody has to bring you way down. big hug bro. shut up guys

Next time just remember Nancy's moto - "just say no.":)

Plank_Spanker
November 3rd, 2008, 05:40 PM
I've jammed with guys like that - and most sessions didn't last long. The problem is guys like that will never catch the hint....................

oldguy
November 3rd, 2008, 06:35 PM
Yep.........
"Hey, look at me, look at me!!!!"
Not a clue, and no team spirit.
I quit the first band I was ever in over it.

tunghaichuan
November 3rd, 2008, 06:40 PM
“Like I always say, there's no "I" in team. There's a "me" though, if you jumble it up.” House, MD :rotflmao:

Yep.........
"Hey, look at me, look at me!!!!"
Not a clue, and no team spirit.
I quit the first band I was ever in over it.

just strum
November 3rd, 2008, 06:44 PM
Look on the bright side, the title of this thread could be:

I left early at the jam due to sudden rash...

tjcurtin1
November 3rd, 2008, 09:21 PM

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Strum, you whacko!

Spudman
November 3rd, 2008, 09:55 PM

or left due to a sudden gear..."if you jumble it up."

birv2
November 4th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Having heard your playing on your website, Robert, I'm kind of baffled as to why this guitarist wouldn't "yield the floor". You're good! It's not like you're some kind of rank beginner.

I go to a weekly jam which is hosted by 2 bands on alternate weeks. The one band is a working band with an amazing guitarist, and the other is a group of amateurs (in the sense of not doing it for a living). People LOVE coming on the weeks when the working band is there, because they each make everyone feel welcome and part of the jam. The amateurs tend to make you feel like you just don't measure up to their high standards if you're not pretty amazing.

Things that make you go hmm.:whatever:

In my opinion, the job of the person leading the jam is to make sure EVERYONE has a good time, not to impress everyone with their shredderific mad skillz.

Andy
November 4th, 2008, 03:17 PM
best way to deal with it is to stop playing and stand and watch him play..gets the point across real quick.

Andy
November 4th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I'm fortunate(or mabey not)
I read about these problems on here with musicians at gigs/ jams and scratch my head.But the big difference I guess is living and playing in Nashville.

If you pull any crap or can't be ready for the gig in this town , it's over real quick. when everyone that walks in the door is a musician, you better have it together!If the bass player is a screw up , than before the nights over you have 3 more waiting in line.

I was in a blues band that hosted a weekly blues jam at Joe's village inn.
just landing that job was a feat in it's self. than you have people stoppin in for a drink and to hear some live music, Willie nelson , John Prine,Steve Earl..all manor of studio musicians. just to name a few. you better be ready to play and act professional.just to get onstage takes some guts all eyes are watching your every note.

if you want to showboat and play over other people at an open jam.consider it a challenge..someone will most likely get up there and systematicaly destroy you,..and you won't be invited back.

you have your act together , you don't overplay , you are tight and well rehearsed , there are no excuses. period.

you do well you get treated well and doors open up , you screw up and your done , no room for lazy non practicing hacks. it's tough but can be very rewarding. I guess I think It should be like that anywhere and realise it's not

Robert
November 4th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Right on, Andy. I should get you to write this guy a letter.... I would just need to add "+1" at the bottom of the page! :D :AOK:

hubberjub
November 4th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Has this happened to you? Now I remember why I don't always have fun at jams. The guy is a nice fellow, it's just that he should be a bartender or something instead.

Okay, rant over - just needed to get that out of the system - carry on! :D

I am that guy.:rockon:

Robert
November 4th, 2008, 08:00 PM
It doesn't matter to me his ability to play or lack thereof, but turning up to play fills when I am trying to play a lead is just plain rude. It's like screaming in someone's ear when they are trying to tell you something. Well actually, I think he doesn't mean to be rude, but he just doesn't realize how bad it actually sounds. How do you tell a guy without pissing him off?

just strum
November 4th, 2008, 08:06 PM
It doesn't matter to me his ability to play or lack thereof, but turning up to play fills when I am trying to play a lead is just plain rude. It's like screaming in someone's ear when they are trying to tell you something. Well actually, I think he doesn't mean to be rude, but he just doesn't realize how bad it actually sounds. How do you tell a guy without pissing him off?

Slam the guitar over his head, he will be out cold and him being pissed off won't be an issue.

ted s
November 4th, 2008, 09:18 PM
yes, it sounds like a job for El Kabong.

LagrangeCalvert
November 4th, 2008, 09:18 PM
We have a horn player here in the Greater Cincinnati region that is like that. I won't mention names BUT he was once a very talented musician until all the drugs caught up to him.....now he's exactly like the guy you speak of Robert. We all (all the Jammers) see him walk through the door on open blues jam night at Millers Fill Inn here in Cincy and there is a collective groan of pain let out. These kind of people are everywhere and if you're one of them and are reading this its ok, really.....cause you don't even know your this person.

Andy
November 4th, 2008, 10:23 PM
when they start going overboard, have the band stop and everyone turn and watch the person. they want a one man show they get one.:master:

when he stops just say.. "no, please continue"

Ch0jin
November 4th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Haha, I have been known to use exactly that technique during meetings and presentations. I don't often do it 'cause it's pretty arrogant (in my business context at least) but it sure does get the point across :)

Jimi75
November 5th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Oh boy this sounds so familiar to me. But we all have to be aware of the fact that you always run the risk to be confronted with such players when we take part in a session. The best way to "punish" such a guy is to leave him alone on stage. My band colleagues and I always leave a lot of room also to more unexerienced players, so they can "see the red line" and fit in. Solo guys and pretenders get kicked out - our bass player is savagely in this matter.

Robert, persons like you who are a little more known to people through their internet appearance always attract such idio** and motivate them to duel themselves with you or others. I personally love playing totally shitty in such duel situations. Then the other simply loses interest and most of the time leaves the stage or stays and behaves.

Next week we will open a session in a club we never played before. I know that the "music police" will be there, watching every note we play instead of enjoying the music. Some will never learn to relax....sad but true.

M29
November 5th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Sounds like a real Fret Fart:master:

kiteman
November 5th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Man, that sounded so familiar that I raked my brains about my past experiences with bands.

Then I remembered. Back in the late 60s we needed a guitarist and we auditioned this guy. We were a surf instrumental band mostly and played some popular songs of that era also. Stuff like Gloria and I fought the law to name a few, even Beatles. This guy's playing stuff that came from the metal bands of the 80s. We couldn't handle that stuff because we weren't prepared for that kind of stuff. He tried to stay on with us and we told him we can't handle it.

He called us a bunch of dorks who doesn't know how to play and my drummer lost it. He grabbed the guitar from the guy and threw it out to the street. Picked up his amp and threw it too.

Told him he's fired too. Duh!

sumitomo
November 5th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I think Andy had a great idea.I could see it now when he broke off into his lead trance,if all others in the band stopped playing and pointed over to him like here's Jonny.Sumi:D

Ro3b
November 5th, 2008, 09:45 AM
The best way to "punish" such a guy is to leave him alone on stage.
No, the best way to deal with such a guy is to say, "look, when you play your lead licks when somebody else is singing or soloing, it's inconsiderate and sounds like a$$." I.e., make sure he understands what the problem is, and make sure he understands it's HIS problem. Neither passive aggression or violence will communicate these points.

Brian Krashpad
November 5th, 2008, 12:13 PM
You know, I don't think I've ever done a jam. Not at a venue, like that. I think it requires a level of maturity and self-control a lot of guitarists don't have.

Closest I've ever come to doing anything remotely like a public jam has been a couple times getting called onstage to do backing vocals with friends' bands. Even then, I tried to be careful to keep the vocals backing and not step on other parts.