PDA

View Full Version : Best blues amp for $500?

birv2
November 3rd, 2008, 05:47 PM
I've decided to sell my Jimmie Vaughan strat and get an amp. I'm looking for suggestions. I play blues almost exclusively with single coils (Fat 50s pickups), out at jams and small places (so I don't need something huge). Right now I use my Pro Jr and still like it a lot.

But I'm looking at getting a used amp. Thinking about Reverend, Traynor, Mesa Boogie (really!), and maybe a Fender. I like all kinds of blues, from clean early Buddy Guy stuff to singing sustain a la Luther Allison and even Walter Trout. That Mesa Lonestar looks and sounds yummy, but it's out of my price range.

So what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Robert
November 3rd, 2008, 06:07 PM
Pro Jr and Blues Jr are great choices. Peavey Classic 30 of course. Traynor YCV40 is a good choice. Crate Palomino is great too.

oldguy
November 3rd, 2008, 06:29 PM
If you get a chance, check out the Fender Super Champ XD. If a 20w amp would fill the bill you might be surprised. Upgrade the 10" speaker and you still have under 400$ in it.
If you want something bigger, I'd go for the Traynor YCV40, but I'm biased since I own one.:)

birv2
November 3rd, 2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks to Robert and oldguy. Interestingly, the one amp you both mentioned is the one I'm seriously looking at: the Traynor YCV40. I've got a friend who has one, so I'm going to try my guitar through it tomorrow.

Tell me more -- what do you like about the Traynor?

oldguy
November 3rd, 2008, 07:02 PM
I guess it would be because it can get close to Fender cleans and Marshall overdrive....... think Blackface cleans and 800 series overdrive. Mine's the Anniversary model, it's been reliable, I've changed tubes once in maybe 5-6 years. Built like a tank, steel mesh over the speaker, behind the grill cloth.
Negatives? The reverb and volume pots are touchy........... not much, and then too much...... you need to tweak it gently to get it where you want it.
I think I've still got some Youtube stuff up w/ it, check "Deesman" if you want to hear it.
All in all, a good amp for the bucks, IMO.

Tone2TheBone
November 4th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I played a Lonestar once and it was really muddy. You got some good suggestions up there. If you opt for a Blues Jr. find one used with the Billm mods.

birv2
November 4th, 2008, 09:40 AM
I played my friend's YVC40 this morning, and am VERY impressed with the sounds, particularly the overdrive and sustain. I could definitely get rid of my overdrive pedals with this amp! Also, I found the gain channel VERY bright -- had to turn the treble to 1 and it still was a little ice picky.

I'm also really impressed with the WEIGHT. Yikes! I guess I'm spoiled with my Pro Jr. It's making me think about the YVC20 as a possibility. My friend said I could keep the PJ for jams and use the Traynor for my real gigs, but I told him I don't have any real gigs!

I'm keeping my options open.

Bob

Tone2TheBone
November 4th, 2008, 09:53 AM
You have a Pro Jr. already? Then you probably want something else obviously. Good luck.

oldguy
November 4th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Fender Super Champ XD.
You really ought to try one. Half the price of the YCV20, easy on your back, and some good sounds.

duhvoodooman
November 4th, 2008, 10:18 AM
A little above this price range at $600, but that 20W Egnater Rebel head looks mighty sweet and VERY flexible with the dual EL84/6V6 switchable power tube feature. Of course, you'll need a speaker cab to drive....

birv2
November 4th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Fender Super Champ XD.
You really ought to try one. Half the price of the YCV20, easy on your back, and some good sounds.

I do have a PJ and like it a lot. I'm a little wary of the SCXD, though I played one at GC and liked some of the sounds. It seemed a bit underpowered, and I also wasn't sure that it would have that tube warmth live. I realize it does have a tube, but .....

oldguy
November 4th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I do have a PJ and like it a lot. I'm a little wary of the SCXD, though I played one at GC and liked some of the sounds. It seemed a bit underpowered, and I also wasn't sure that it would have that tube warmth live. I realize it does have a tube, but .....

Oh, OK, I didn't realize you'd played one. I'd say the Traynor's a better amp build wise, but the XD I played got some good sounds for the $$$.

oldguy
November 4th, 2008, 10:28 AM
A little above this price range at $600, but that 20W Egnater Rebel head looks mighty sweet and VERY flexible with the dual EL84/6V6 switchable power tube feature. Of course, you'll need a speaker cab to drive....

True! I'd love to try one.

SuperSwede
November 4th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Tech21 Trademark 30 or a Vox AC15TB perhaps?

sunvalleylaw
November 4th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I say used Peavey C-30 and have the extra $150 to $200 to put toward a CV Tele or one of these Hagstroms. But that is just my "bang for the buck" point of view.

Andy
November 4th, 2008, 04:21 PM
keep an eye on cragslist, there are 2 traynors on our local one now , the blue yc50-60? and a 40.

both are asking $300

Robert
November 5th, 2008, 12:11 PM
This one costs more, but I just wanted to mention it anyway - the Skyraider SR-15
http://www.mackamps.com/products_Amp_sr_15.asp

Looks like an interesting amph!

birv2
November 8th, 2008, 08:49 AM
WEEKEND UPDATE...

First, thanks for all the replies. You've given me some great stuff to look into.

Second, upon further review... I think I'm going to keep my JV strat and not get a new amp at this time. I don't think I'll get what the strat is worth in this economic climate, and I also have a feeling I'll regret getting rid of it down the road. So I think I'll aim for a speaker upgrade for my Pro Jr. Christmas is just around the corner, isn't it?

If you've got a guitar that you really like, keep it if you can. There's no guarantee you can get another that will sound as good.

sunvalleylaw
November 8th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Sounds like a good decision. That is a nice guitar and I wondered about your getting rid of it. What about that speaker that Tone was selling? Is that a good upgrade for your amph?

EDIT: I just checked and it sold but maybe that would be a good one to shoot at. I don't know much about speaker upgrades.

I think you are making a good choice in keeping the JV though.

ZMAN
November 8th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I had a YCV40 in red Tolex yes bright Red. I could not find a blues tone I liked on it. I have several Fender amps that I use for blues only. I think you could pick them up used for around 500.
The Blues Junior special Edition with the jensen is nice but can be a bit boxy.
The Blues Deluxe Reissue in tweed is a sweet amp. No extra gain channel but it has and effects loop and is perfect for gigs and accepts pedals nicely with a lot of really clean headroom.
Of course the cream of the crop is the 65 Deluxe Reverb. The sweetest blues amp out there. Might be a stretch go get one for 500 but 22 watts of pure sweetness. I also have Custom Vibrolux that gives that cool Blackface tone as well. As I said I only play blues and I have every combination of pickups you could ask for and they all sound cool through these 4.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/Stewz/NaturalSheraton.jpg

TS808
November 8th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I'd suggest looking for a used Peavey Delta Blues 210 if you're looking for a good blue amp...or even a used Fender Hot Rod or Blues series Deluxe. Good cleans, good overdrive on all, and they all take pedals well too.

Ch0jin
November 11th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Any reason nobody mentioned something small like a Champ of some description?

I saw a 70's SF Champ here in Sydney for $625 of our money, thats under $500USD. I was watching a blues gig in New Orleans (on TV) and one of the guitarists (sorry I didn't catch who) appeared to be using two SF champs side by side with what was likely a 5F1 Tweed champ on top. 1 mic for each.

Sounded bluesy to me ;)

wingsdad
November 11th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Tech21 Trademark 30 ......?
I'll second that suggestion as that amp would be well below $500, closer to $300 brand new....for just a bit over $500 new, but used for $350-$400 a Trademark 60 1x12 combo would give switchable 2-channel options and the 12" vs. 10" speaker.

Duff
November 12th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Are those crate V50 amps still on sale at MF and the other big places like GC online? I think they wanted 200 for that and it is promoted by that one blusesman, bigtime bluesman, in their advertizements in guitar magazines, etc.

That is a class A/B amp and is supposed to be good for blues.

I'd love to get one of those. Maybe for Christmas.

Duffy