PDA

View Full Version : How big is yours?

Robert
November 3rd, 2008, 08:46 PM
No, not that one, I mean your Television Set!

We have a 32" LCD TV/Monitor. It's by Acer. Works really good but gets kinda hot.

Algonquin
November 3rd, 2008, 09:04 PM
I've been wanting a new set for a while, but the old 32' tube jobby keeps on ticking so I find it hard to justify replacing it just yet. I do want a new widescreen tele, but it seems the longer I wait, the more reasonable the prices get.

I thought that I'd go LCD for sure, but now I'm thinking Plasma... time will tell. Once I get a new set though, I'll have to get a new HD PVR, so the $$$ doesn't end with the purchase of the TV.

Childbride
November 3rd, 2008, 09:09 PM
ummm... [grin]

60 something inches? it's kinda big, or something.

the one in the bedroom is little. but we watch 3/4 of our tv in the living room.

luvmyshiner
November 3rd, 2008, 09:40 PM
Sixty-one inches.:D Say hello to my "Great Wall of Testosterone".:beer:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m159/luvmyshiner/P2240008-1.jpg

Katastrophe
November 3rd, 2008, 09:49 PM
42" LCD Flat Screen. It's nice with movies and our cheapie surround sound.

Ch0jin
November 3rd, 2008, 09:58 PM
42" Samsung Plasma. Fed by a custom made HTPC (assembled and configured by moi) and feeding sounds to a set of Logitech Z5500D's.

I love it! Hundred of movies and TV shows, not to mention music and stills all at my fingertips. The Logitechs are actually THX certified and as a result sound amazing well balanced compared to many "all in one" style home theater kits even though it's got a sub you could park a car inside ;)

Downside is I like my lounge so much now I'm shopping for either an Epi VJ or a Champ repro (as I've posted elswhere) for the lounge :)

Spudman
November 3rd, 2008, 10:03 PM
No, not that one, I mean your Television Set!

I think I've heard of those. Some people call them tee vees right? What are they for?

ShortBuSX
November 3rd, 2008, 10:03 PM
I just recently got an RCA 42" LCD 1080p...I think I got a good deal (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9188652) *shrug*

sunvalleylaw
November 3rd, 2008, 10:31 PM
I've been wanting a new set for a while, but the old 32' tube jobby keeps on ticking so I find it hard to justify replacing it just yet. I do want a new widescreen tele, but it seems the longer I wait, the more reasonable the prices get.

I thought that I'd go LCD for sure, but now I'm thinking Plasma... time will tell. Once I get a new set though, I'll have to get a new HD PVR, so the $$$ doesn't end with the purchase of the TV.

We have a hand me down one about like that from a buddy of mine that upgraded to some huge obnoxious one that I get to watch on guys movie nights.

Jimi75
November 4th, 2008, 02:04 AM
46" LCD TV. It was a super speial offer, as we sell this kind of stuff in the company I work for. We rarely watch TV, so I thought of giving it to my mother and her husband and buying something smaller.

Gil Janus
November 4th, 2008, 02:40 AM
Syntax Õlevia LT30DV - 30" LCD / 1280x768
Accepts 480i/480p/720p/1080i via component video inputs - down-converts 1080i to 720p
DVI or DVI-HDCP + VGA + Composite Video + S-Video + Component Video - YPbPr and YCbCr
(has a dual NTSC/PAL receiver with PIP with one RF cable F-type connector)

Bought back in 2004 when I was living in New York City. Works well, but does get hot.

It's especially useful to play Gran Tursimo 4 using a wheel from across the room :AOK:

Gil :cool:

markb
November 4th, 2008, 03:45 AM
I think I've heard of those. Some people call them tee vees right? What are they for?

They're for wasting time you should spend practicing :D
I haven't had a telly since 1993. Just one of those things I never got around to replacing, really.

WackyT
November 4th, 2008, 04:14 AM
32" Hyundai Widescreen LCD HDTV in living room, and 21" Hitachi Flatscreen tube SDTV w/ Zenith HDTV converter in bedroom. Don't have any HDTV content other than OTA HDTV. Thinking about subscribing to Dish HDTV in the near future.

Kazz
November 4th, 2008, 05:30 AM
well so far I guess I win the biggest tool wins the pool prize....ours is 65"

JVC AV-65WP74 65-Inch Widescreen HD-Ready Projection TV it was free.....the lady that gave it to us said one of the color tubes was out...turned out to be the convergence chip....cost me $250 bucks to get it fixed....had it for over a year now....definitely got my moneys worth out of it. NASCAR looks really cool on a big tv. :-)

Glacies
November 4th, 2008, 06:18 AM
When I graduated from military college and moved in with my GF, we had a 12" tube. But I didn't watch TV at all back then.

One weekend while she was working, I saw an add in the paper for a 36" tube for $300 - for me, that was huge. I went to go buy it to surprise her when she got home, I was going to be all lounging around watching it when she got home.

Well I had her car that day which was actually her grandmother's because her last car was totalled in a no-fault accident and she was still waiting on insurance money. A 95 I think Oldsmobile.

I bust into Circuit city, pick out the monstrosity, pay for it and the guys bring it out back to meet me. They say "uhh do you have a friend with an SUV?" - no (we just moved up there and didn't know anyone). "well you'll have to pay for delivery then because there's no way this is fitting in that car."

The box was easily 4ftx4ft if not more, no way it was going into the truck or in one of the doors.

The circuit city guys told me they couldn't help me, so they left me outside with the box and my car. I tried to take the TV out of the box but it was way too heavy and awkward for one person to handle. So I slid it up the side of the and it couldn't go into the door. I started throwing my shoulder into it to get it to fit into the car and it would budge a little at a time. After the 10th consecutive hit, it finally slid in. I was exhausted...

I had to drive home with one hand on it becuase it kept slamming into the door on the way home.

I get to my apartment at the time and realize I live on the 3rd floor, and there are no elevators.... and I won't be able to get it out of of the freakin car.

After 2 hours of intense thinking and physical labor, I got the TV from the car into my apartment.

By the time my girl got home I was passed out and couldn't move in front of the TV, so the ultimate plan worked, but the TV has a little scratch on the side (can barely notice it).

So yeah, I still have a 36" tube and it does the trick. I'd love one of the flat-panels to hang over my fireplace but a guitar is in the budget before a TV is.

Robert
November 4th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Glacies, what a story! Wow!

Jimi75
November 4th, 2008, 08:38 AM
I'd love one of the flat-panels to hang over my fireplace but a guitar is in the budget before a TV is.

Wasn't that one of the 10 commandments?
:D

"Thou shall not buy a TV before a guitar"

Glacies
November 4th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Glacies, what a story! Wow!

Complete with horrible grammar and everything. Was I drunk when I wrote that? Jeez, sorry.

Glacies
November 4th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Wasn't then one of the 10 commandments?

"Thou shall not buy a TV before a guitar"

I think it was on the 3rd tablet that Moses dropped :D

marnold
November 4th, 2008, 09:00 AM
27" Philips CRT. I'd like a Hi-Def something or the other someday, for the PS3 if nothing else. But those cost large wads of cash, none of which I have lying around right now. Plus our cable system has no hi-def offerings at all.

warren0728
November 4th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I think it was on the 3rd tablet that Moses dropped :D
"i give you these 15.... <drop> <crash> ....errr....10 commandments...."

warren0728
November 4th, 2008, 09:05 AM
27" flat screen tube tv....have thought about getting a flat screen but i don't watch a lot of tv....and what i do watch doesn't really warrant hi definition (and i'm not a gamer)....

Spudman
November 4th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Okay, I'll admit that I actually have a couple of TVs. I got mine to watch music videos on and the occasional movie from the video store. The little Spud has one too. I have no idea how big they are but they aren't very big and they are hardly ever on except when I'm getting a craving for Hannah Montana or High School Musical. Oh wait, those are for little Spud. :D

Tone2TheBone
November 4th, 2008, 09:22 AM
I think ours is a 65 inch Toshiba rear projection HDTV. One of the last ones made before the transistion to LCD/Plasma. Good picture for having a plastic screen. HDMI Blue Ray disks look amazing on it.

SuperSwede
November 4th, 2008, 10:46 AM
42" LCD HDTV

Xbox 360 connected through component input and it looks fantastic :)

aeolian
November 4th, 2008, 10:52 AM
We have 3 TVs. An old 22" Sony tube TV that will likely be replaced next year. A 61" Samsung DLP that we bought in 2004; this one needs an external tuner and the digital off-the-air broadcast comes in great. Lastly a 37" LG lcd from 2006.

I just bought a hard disk recorder which is turning out great for recording the digital channels off of basic cable.

Andy
November 4th, 2008, 03:14 PM
25" tube, we watch very minimal TV .

Guitar Gal
November 4th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I don't watch much TV and in fact had my cable disconnected earlier this year.

I do have a TV in the living room....a 36" regular tube TV....not even a flat screen version...that I have set up with surround sound to watch movies. :dude:

GG

pes_laul
November 9th, 2008, 08:19 PM
i have a little 17 inch that I got when I was like 4. I have sattelite and dvd player in my room.

I have a very little tv but I guess 3 amps and 4 guitars make up for it though:rockon:

just strum
November 9th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Two Sony's: one is 27" the other 30"

Two Magnavox: one 23" and one probably about 25"

Three no names: all about 17"

Hmm, sell some of them and I might have another guitar and amp.

My saying of "Free is Good" applies here. The 30" Sony and the two Magnavox TV's were free.

Andy
November 10th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I purchased one of the digital converter boxes , right now I get about two dozen channels.all crystal clear... and free