PDA

View Full Version : I can't make up my mind - new guitar or new amp?

Robert
November 3rd, 2008, 10:50 PM
I can't make up my mind. I have saved and saved with blood, sweat and tears, and I may soon have enough to buy a new guitar or a new amph. Problem is, I can't do both right away, so which buy comes first?

I am keeping my eyes peeled for a used Marshall DSL100/DSL50 or a Vintage Modern. That's where I'm headed in the amp department.

As for guitar, well I'm more flexible there. I hate to buy guitars unseen, so I may scour the stores in the city that carry good brands and see what I can find. I find buying guitars hard. Even good ones are often set up really badly, and this can obfuscate the detection of a really good guitar.

I really don't know what I should do. I need Fretter help! :p

sunvalleylaw
November 3rd, 2008, 11:00 PM
If it is the guitar, wait until the one that you REALLY want comes to your hands and you know it is the one you have been looking for. If you find the killer deal on one of those amphs in the meantime, then grab it first and find the guitar later. That is my humble opinion.

EDIT: Clarification - get the amph if you find the deal you want, unless you find the holy grail of guitars first. Unless it is THE one, go for the amph.

marnold
November 3rd, 2008, 11:09 PM
Amph. Without that amph you get no screaming solos. Thus saith The Fret.

Spudman
November 3rd, 2008, 11:39 PM
Because of all the gear you recently sold I'm guessing you need both. Am I correct? I'd suggest you get both. Then burn your checkbook and credit cards and be done with this horrible curse.

Ch0jin
November 4th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Well I'm unclear what your current gear situation is, but if you have NO guitar then get a guitar. Guitar and no amp is more fun that amp and no guitar.

I'm assuming you have more than a couple of backup guitars though, so don't do what I've done and fallen in love with the concept of a repro Champ and a 52 RI tele without having ever played either. (damn you internet) Go out and play a bunch of guitars through a bunch of amps (get some cool pedals in the mix too, why not) and when something makes you smile before you realize you're smiling, buy it.

markb
November 4th, 2008, 01:12 AM
There's a BIG Gibson shaped hole in your guitar list, Robert ;)

WackyT
November 4th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Go for the Suhr!:dude:

Katastrophe
November 4th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Amph first.

You must have screaming solos.:D

wingsdad
November 4th, 2008, 08:10 AM
FWIW, Robert, in your thread 'bout wanting the Suhr where you were needlessly badgered into defending your desire for same, you'd boiled it down to something like (pardon the paraphrasing) you've been playing 25 years and earned the right to a really nice guitar.

So: find the guitar first. Whatever that turns out to be. In person, at least with all the specs & options you like. Then custom-order it if you 'need' it to be a certain color, etc., to 'be you'. Then go forth with it and find the right amp for it.

Jimi75
November 4th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Robert, I think it depends on the circumstances you are currently in. You sold some guitars and I think ther are only medium to low budget guitars in your holdings (!this is not lowering the value of medium or low budget guitars!).

If your amphs fit the live situation, for e.g. when you play a gig and even when you play at home, you should go for a good guitar first. I mean you got pedals, you got the Reverend, you got the Mack. That is quite an arsenal! Good amphs you got there! It's time for a decent guitar.

:pancake:

ShortBuSX
November 4th, 2008, 08:41 AM
...where you were needlessly badgered into defending your desire

Thanks...apparently my point was lost on you as well. :thwap:
Thankfully my life doesnt hinge on being understood all of the time.

I can't make up my mind.
Get the amp...you already KNOW what you want in that department.

sumitomo
November 4th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Get the amph Robert,you can always borrow a guitar from the Spudman,he's got an extra hanging around.Sumi:D

Tone2TheBone
November 4th, 2008, 09:19 AM
You know my answer.

warren0728
November 4th, 2008, 09:26 AM
hey robert....are you cooling off about getting a shur....i noticed you changed your avatar....and you didn't mention a shur in this thread....just curious.... :whatever:

Tone2TheBone
November 4th, 2008, 09:46 AM
That cat needs a Marshall amp on his back wall.

oldguy
November 4th, 2008, 09:55 AM
You already know you want a Marshall............until you decide on which guitar (Suhr, Les Paul, etc.) I'd get the Marshall. It'll make whichever guitar you use sound good.:beer:

Robert
November 4th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Warren, I am only worried about buying a guitar I haven't played. The new ones here cost too much. I'm less worried about buying an amp I haven't played. Guitars are so much more finicky though, in my experience. So to answer your question, a Suhr would be great if I could find one I like locally that doesn't cost too much. Or if I found one for a steal on ebay or something, but not new - if I buy it unseen new and don't like it - poof I lost a lot of money.

warren0728
November 4th, 2008, 09:57 AM
if I buy it unseen new and don't like it - poof I lost a lot of money.
makes sense to me.... :AOK:

oldguy
November 4th, 2008, 10:17 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1989-Marshall-Jubilee-25-50-Watt-AMP-Head-BLACK_W0QQitemZ200270267534QQihZ010QQcategoryZ1017 1QQssPageNameZWD

Check this one out, Robert, not a DSL, but you don't see these everyday.

Right, Tone?

birv2
November 4th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Doesn't conventional wisdom say get the amp first, because a good amp can make an average guitar sound good, but the opposite isn't true?

Or , like much conventional wisdom, is this not true?

Robert
November 4th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Sweet amp... I bet it will sell in no time.

Conventional wisdom doesn't seem to be very wise for me .... :D I buy waaaay too much guitar stuff!

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1989-Marshall-Jubilee-25-50-Watt-AMP-Head-BLACK_W0QQitemZ200270267534QQihZ010QQcategoryZ1017 1QQssPageNameZWD

Right, Tone?

Tone2TheBone
November 4th, 2008, 10:29 AM

Right, Tone?

That's absolutely right my friend. T2TB is the 1st person to donate their status to get out the vote for a Marshall Jubilee.

SuperSwede
November 4th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Amph. Without that amph you get no screaming solos. Thus saith The Fret.

Amen brother Marnold!

Besides how will he ever get enough dirt in the pull gain to get scrathy sounds out of the edison cable??? Just wondering...

marnold
November 4th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Warren, I am only worried about buying a guitar I haven't played. The new ones here cost too much. I'm less worried about buying an amp I haven't played. Guitars are so much more finicky though, in my experience. So to answer your question, a Suhr would be great if I could find one I like locally that doesn't cost too much. Or if I found one for a steal on ebay or something, but not new - if I buy it unseen new and don't like it - poof I lost a lot of money.
That would be a concern of mine too. At least with a Marshall you know it will hold its resale value relatively well. A new Suhr is not very likely to be considered "collectible" and even if you could get a decent resale value for it, it'd automatically be priced out of the price range of ~90% of the people out there.

By the by, you need to update your sig now.

oldguy
November 6th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Wow!.........not a single bid..........I figured someone would jump at this one.........maybe the economy really is in trouble??
I know I can't afford it right now, otherwise I'd of bid on it.
:whatever:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1989-Marshall-Jubilee-25-50-Watt-AMP-Head-BLACK_W0QQitemZ200270267534QQihZ010QQcategoryZ1017 1QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Tone2TheBone
November 6th, 2008, 08:49 PM
If I had the extra $$$ I would buy that baby. Not a silver model but still a Jube. Sweet Marshall fun.

sumitomo
November 6th, 2008, 09:48 PM
There is a silver on e-bay it has about 6 days to go and its a head.Hey also Tone didn't marshall put some of the silvers features on the jcm 900 100 watt heads?Sumi:D

Tone2TheBone
November 7th, 2008, 10:12 AM
There is a silver on e-bay it has about 6 days to go and its a head.Hey also Tone didn't marshall put some of the silvers features on the jcm 900 100 watt heads?Sumi:D

Ja and some silver on little babies like this auction too..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marshall-Silver-Jubilee-25-50-Model-3005-Made-in-1987_W0QQitemZ330272643571QQihZ014QQcategoryZ10171 QQcmdZViewItem

Guitar Gal
November 7th, 2008, 06:53 PM
You already know you want a Marshall............until you decide on which guitar (Suhr, Les Paul, etc.) I'd get the Marshall. It'll make whichever guitar you use sound good.:beer:

Ditto....exactly what I was going to say :dude:

GG

dan P
November 8th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Robert, my suggestion is to try out a gretsch 6122 or 6128...Ive about fell overboard with these beautiful and expensive guitars but man, do they look and sound good...!

cobalt
November 9th, 2008, 12:16 AM
go for the Sure you know you want to.